PDA

View Full Version : Help us figure out a way to say Yes!

LifeIsGreat
10-15-2008, 10:19 PM
My son was just asked to Sadie Hawkins. The girls brought over about 30 goldfish and put in our bathtub. They put a note on the bathroom door that reads "Of all the fish in the deep blue sea, I choose you to go to Sadies with me. Look through the fish to find my name." (They are hoping he looks through the bathtub first) Then they scattered 4 bags of Swedish fish all over his bed and hid one under his pillow that had taped to it a note with the name of the girl.

So cute! My son is 16 and this is his first girls choice dance. I know there are some really creative people out there. PLEASE help us figure out a clever way to say yes. Thanks!!!

Deweyville
10-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Here are a few suggestions to start! http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54017

Tressa
10-16-2008, 08:05 AM
I asked a guy to a dance similarly in high school, but I used gold fish crackers. Then I taped cut out fish all over his room with a large fishing pole that had hooked a huge fish that had the poem on it.
He replied with a real gold fish in a tank. But, for the life of me I can't remember how he worded the response. Ugh! If it comes to me, I will let you know!

Dori
10-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah...I was thinking that the answer should include a fishing pole and something about being "hooked".

liljepp
10-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Yeah...I was thinking that the answer should include a fishing pole and something about being "hooked".
I agree - maybe you could do something with blue jello and put fish inside, make a fishing rod that has a note attached but is stuck down in the jello. Or something she needs to hook to get out.

mizliz0809
10-16-2008, 08:23 AM
LOL cute ! I have never known anyone (especialy kids) to go all out like this to ask or reply to a dance invite. Sorry no ideas but I like the one that has been mentioned about something with a fishing pole and being hooked.

eternity00
10-16-2008, 09:24 AM
you could take a poster board and make a big fish and then cut it up into a puzzle and put the pieces all over her house to find and put together, on each piece will say something on where to find the answer and then put the hook or something under her pillow that says something like i would love to "hook" up with you to sadies!!!!!

lillyun
10-16-2008, 09:27 AM
I was thinking gummy worms myself.

lillyun
10-16-2008, 09:32 AM
LOL cute ! I have never known anyone (especialy kids) to go all out like this to ask or reply to a dance invite. Sorry no ideas but I like the one that has been mentioned about something with a fishing pole and being hooked.

I think this is a huge Utah thing. We always asked/answered in creative ways. Once I even asked a guy with a small cardboard box that I made look like an outhouse! And included a roll of tp that said "If ya' gotta' go... Go with me..."
Then wrote common phrases and sayings on the tp with my name letter by letter then re-rolled it. The guy I was asking was the type that had a great sense of humor...so it worked.

save-n-smile
10-16-2008, 09:43 AM
How about a rose with, Roses are red voilets are blue, I would be honored to go to Sadies with you!

maven29
10-16-2008, 10:19 AM
I think this is a huge Utah thing. We always asked/answered in creative ways. Once I even asked a guy with a small cardboard box that I made look like an outhouse! And included a roll of tp that said "If ya' gotta' go... Go with me..."
Then wrote common phrases and sayings on the tp with my name letter by letter then re-rolled it. The guy I was asking was the type that had a great sense of humor...so it worked.

OMG thats awful. Sorry but it is! Cute but so corny lol. I also have never heard of anyone going though all of this to ask people to a dance. We had sadie hawkins dances, but in the south the girls work together to feel out the guys by asking around, to make sure your invitation will be accepted, before you ask the guy. The focus on keeping it low key, not putting your heart ALL the way out there, to get it stomped on. Also, we have Sadie Hawkins day and dances in like 5th and 6th grade!

LBMarie9
10-16-2008, 11:04 AM
if you want to make her search as hard-- (obviously if you are answering -the answer is yes)

You could write some poem and say--look for my answer in the stars---then put starbursts all over her bed--the answer not there

then get that glow in the dark paint (you can't see it in the light)

and on her ceiling in very large letters write--YES signed his name (she won't see it until night time!)

This might work better finding a name--but you could do it for an answer too.

shawnii5
10-16-2008, 11:18 AM
This is what we did one time to answer a boy. We got a plastic flower pot and lined it with foil on the bottom we put the answer in a plastic zip lock bag and under the foil. We then filled it up with choc. ice cream then smashed up Oreos and put it on top for the look of dirt and gummy worms sticking out of that. I can't remember the saying we put but it was something about digging in the dirt to find the answer.
But it was funny because he had to eat a ton of ice cream to get to the bottom. He told us that him and his brother had brain freeze when they were done.
Shawnii

carswayman04
10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
In highschool, a friend got a response, it was a 5 lb bag of flour. Note on the outside said, "You'll find the answer with the flower". She went through the bag of flour 3 times. he then showed up and delivered a rose and said, sorry I gave you the wrong flower. It had a note with yes. I thought that is pretty good.

Laskuh
10-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I once asked a guy to a dance by decorating his entire lawn in hangers, my mom and I snuck to his house one night and hid them in the trees, fence, cars, house, EVERYWHERE! Well, the best part was that it wasn't even his house! We went back to that house the next day when we found out, and they had put all of them in a bag for us. The lady said "I knew you guys would come back!"
Anyways, despite the embarrassment, it was a great way to ask him, plus when he DID get the hangers, he was excited, having needing them for his closet.
I think we made a poster that said "I would love to hang around at the dance with you" or something of that matter.
Another time, I got a thick children's book (it was Captain Underpants!) and said "go to this page" and led him around and around the book until he found my answer.
OH but my personal fave, was when we took the board game Guess Who and pasted some photocopied pictures from our yearbook (all boys so he wouldn't get confused) on many of the characters. I did multiple copies of his best friend whom he was known to be joined at the hip with....one picture was mine and it said ME in big letters. It was the funniest thing! I think we glued a sheet of paper inside the box that said "Guess Who wants to go to girl's choice with you? Do I have a mustache? Do I have glasses? Flip the characters to find out!"
Oh I just thought of another one! Lol...the guy I was asking had a pick up truck, so we brought a tarp and covered the bed with it. Then we dumped a ton of sand on it. We put seashells (having just returned from mexico and picked a bunch up from the beach) all over on top and a bucket and sand tools, we made a poster and put it on top of his windshield. Don't remember what it said now...I'm sure it was beach themed using cheesy words.
I wish I would have taken pictures of all these! Good luck on answering!

lillyun
10-16-2008, 01:16 PM
OMG thats awful. Sorry but it is! Cute but so corny lol. I also have never heard of anyone going though all of this to ask people to a dance. We had sadie hawkins dances, but in the south the girls work together to feel out the guys by asking around, to make sure your invitation will be accepted, before you ask the guy. The focus on keeping it low key, not putting your heart ALL the way out there, to get it stomped on. Also, we have Sadie Hawkins day and dances in like 5th and 6th grade!
I wouldn't have asked any other guy that way, but he had that type of sense of humor. I would've been too embarrassed to ask anyone else that way KWIM?

We all kind of felt the guys out too. It just seems to be tradition in UT to ask and answer in a big way.

Dori
10-16-2008, 02:02 PM
DD5 is planning to ask her boyfriend to Sadies with cupcakes. One word of the phrase "Hey cupcake, wanna go to Sadie's with me" or something like that baked into each one. He'll have to unscramble the words once he gets them out of the cupcakes.

SHaight
10-16-2008, 02:40 PM
DD5 is planning to ask her boyfriend to Sadies with cupcakes. One word of the phrase "Hey cupcake, wanna go to Sadie's with me" or something like that baked into each one. He'll have to unscramble the words once he gets them out of the cupcakes.

I love it!

salongirl
10-16-2008, 08:55 PM
my son asked a girl to prom and she answered with a box of honeycomb cereal and a note that said.."honey.. comb your hair.. we're going to prom" I thought that was so cute!

sassygirls22
10-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I asked a guy the same way in college and he brought me a card with a real fishing hook in it and said something like "I'd swim all day to be hooked by you". I'd love to go to the dance with you.

cheapskate32
10-16-2008, 09:48 PM
I once asked a guy to a dance by decorating his entire lawn in hangers, my mom and I snuck to his house one night and hid them in the trees, fence, cars, house, EVERYWHERE! Well, the best part was that it wasn't even his house! We went back to that house the next day when we found out, and they had put all of them in a bag for us. The lady said "I knew you guys would come back!"
Anyways, despite the embarrassment, it was a great way to ask him, plus when he DID get the hangers, he was excited, having needing them for his closet.

ROFL! That is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. :laughing:

bgw
10-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Since it is around Halloween time, you could answer using candy and someone delivering it wearing a costume.

You could also send them on a scavenger hunt to find the answer. My sister did that once with different destinations (friends, businesses that friends or family worked at ). Maybe the final answer could be in a plastic pumpkin bucket with candy.

DezaRay24
10-18-2008, 11:42 AM
I answered a boy once by filling his WHOLE room with balloons. All sizes and shapes. His room was kinda small and with his dresser, bed and desk the balloons were on the bed & floor and level to wall to wall. It was so hard to shut the door after we put em in the room. I think it took us 3 trips in a mini van to get all the balloons from my house to his. I put paper and confetti in them and had sayings on some of them. The balloon that had my answer in it was a tiny water balloon that I gave to his sister to hold on to til after he was done popping all the balloons.

I also made chocolate suckers to ask a guy to the Sweethearts dance and put laminated pieces of paper in them that spelled out me asking him to the dance. I think he got sick eating and biting in to all the chocolate to find all the letters. lol :rofl7:

defamlee
10-18-2008, 04:14 PM
My daughter asked her (then boyfriend now husband) to a dance with cup cakes. A lot of them like 6 dozen or more. He was living at Desert towers at BYU at the time. After eating and giving away a lot of the cup cakes there was still lots left so they threw them out the window (probably at people), any way the grass died every where the cup cakes landed. I'm not sure why, but there were all these dead spots all over the grass.

Maryluvs2scrap
03-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Thought I would share an idea that turned out really fun.
In February Albertson's had the Jones promotion that gave you a code to order 4 free bottles of Jones Soda online with your photo/message of choice printed on the bottle.
My daughter ordered Bubble Gum Soda (I think yuk, but his favorite) it is blue. She used a fun photo of them together that they had taken with a cell phone and she had this verse printed on the back of the bottles:
Roses are Red
Bubblegum is Blue
It would be really fun
To got to Preference with you!
(and put her name)

She had his sister place a red rose and the four pack of soda on his bed to find when he got home.

It turned out really fun! You can order the soda with your own picture/verse any time but it was nice getting it free! They said it would take 4 weeks or so and it was on our porch 2 days after she placed the order on line. Couldn't believe it!

quadmommy911
03-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I liked the one about filling the room with balloons. It would be cute to put on the door "since you popped the question!" You could also do something with popcorn and the same phrase.

utmom24
03-27-2009, 04:17 PM
You could freeze the answer in an ice cube and give her lots of ice cubes in maybe a foam cooler, and she would have to wait til they thaw out to get her answer. (im sure she would figure out a way to make them thaw really quick)

bluebooks
03-27-2009, 05:35 PM
You could make fish-in-a-bag soap like this: http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2008/11/fish-in-bag-soap.html

Put a little laminated envelope with a laminated paper inside (or a laminated paper folded up) that says yes in the soap with the fish. She'll have to use the whole bar of soap (or cut it open) to get her answer.