PDA

View Full Version : Velveeta - toss or try?

approval
04-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I have some Velveeta cheese that expired 4 months ago. What do you think...toss or use? (I've never cooked with Velveeta before :-k )

ericat18
04-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I thought Velveeta was made of plastic so it could not go bad. Just kidding I don't know. Hopefully someone else will come along and have a better answer for you. :tongue:

Dori
04-23-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't think it's good BEFORE it expires. How could it get any worse?
LOL
;)

approval
04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
OH! I love these answers! (That is also why I haven't cooked anything with it before) but, I was going to make some nacho dip for my DS and all his teenage vacuum buddies to go along with his "Nacho Libra" movie night....so if anyone else knows, please post!

calmingweight
04-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah, it isn't real cheese anyway; I'm sure it's just as bad as non-expired!

Dori
04-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Is there a 1-800 # you could call?

approval
04-23-2009, 04:14 PM
No luck on the 800 number but you guys are making me laugh so hard! I didn't know Velveeta could evoke such strong feelings! :lach:

ChelC
04-23-2009, 04:26 PM
I imagine it's fine if it's not smelling/looking bad. Liquid separating or something?

Most processed things like that last beyond their expiration... and I agree, velveeta is like margarine, except at least velveeta is decent in brocolli soup... margarine is good for nothing.

emilyg
04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
OH! I love these answers! (That is also why I haven't cooked anything with it before) but, I was going to make some nacho dip for my DS and all his teenage vacuum buddies to go along with his "Nacho Libra" movie night....so if anyone else knows, please post!

Oh, I definitely think it is ok for teenage boys. They will LOVE the nachos.

phoebeandkohlsmom
04-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I'd probably still use it but I'm using powdered milk that expired over a year ago. Still tastes good!!!

mama4ever
04-23-2009, 05:29 PM
I would toss it!

AmyZC
04-23-2009, 07:13 PM
In my house, we don't worry about the expiration date until we're four years past (ha ha). I'd use it.

tinybudget
04-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I would toss it!

Ditto!

brockflock2
04-23-2009, 10:33 PM
I approch such things in the following order:

1. Visual Test (If it looks nasty in any way, it's gone)
2. Smell Test (If it doesn't smell like I'd want to eat it, toss it. Note: Do NOT have DH smell it. If it cost anything he'll deem it worthy to eat. Blech!)
3. Itty-Bitty Taste Test (Do this over the sink, so it can be spit out if the flavor offends. If not, venture to next step)
4. Regular Taste Test (Take a whole bite of it. If it tastes "right", use it! If not, mourn the loss and move on!)

Hope that helps! :thumblef:

beccab
04-23-2009, 11:26 PM

2. Smell Test (If it doesn't smell like I'd want to eat it, toss it. Note: Do NOT have DH smell it. If it cost anything he'll deem it worthy to eat. Blech!)
3. Itty-Bitty Taste Test (Do this over the sink, so it can be spit out if the flavor offends. If not, venture to next step)
4. Regular Taste Test (Take a whole bite of it. If it tastes "right", use it! If not, mourn the loss and move on!)

LOL!!!

Maryluvs2scrap
04-24-2009, 06:55 AM

I have done this so many times!
My guess is that it is till fine at least as fine as Velveeta can be!

You will have to report back how it went.

Dealing-Deb
04-24-2009, 08:24 AM
This is the funniest thread ever on PYP!!! I seriously am LOL! :happy175:

maven29
04-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Velveeta was the only cheese we had growing up, as my mom wasnt going to waste good money on cheese that could spoil! We even had a special tupperwear container for it, which looked like a plastic coffin, for the super sized brick of it. So yes you can eat it. You can spackle with it and fix small marine craft leaks with it also, if need be.

My question is, what is are teenage vacuum buddies? Is there a special youth group out there for kids that all like to vacuum, or can't help themselves?

approval
04-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Okay...I am laughing so hard! No, there is not a club for teenagers that vacuum. LOL! I just meant that they eat anything and everything in sight...and then some! I have three teenage sons so you can imagine how many times I go to the store. :::eek:: Thank you to PYP for making it so they don't eat me out of house and home - literally!
I was laughing with DH about this thread and he said the only time he had velveeta in his home growing up is when they were going fishing. Apparently it's great fish bait.

shortstuff
04-24-2009, 08:46 AM
My question is, what is are teenage vacuum buddies? Is there a special youth group out there for kids that all like to vacuum, or can't help themselves?[/QUOTE]

Vacuum buddies= teenage boys/friends that come into your home and suck up every last bit of food you have in your home. (I have two teenagers with lottsa vacuum buddies- they themselves are vacuums ...lol)

berlinsmommy
04-24-2009, 08:47 AM
I'd probably still use it but I'm using powdered milk that expired over a year ago. Still tastes good!!!

Um, didn't you report in another thread that your breast-fed baby has horrible gas? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

(I hope you take my reply as the good-natured ribbing that I intended it to be :nana)

katiekat
04-24-2009, 08:53 AM

I agree. I'm amazed how many people approach expiration dates on food as scripture. For MOST food, the expiration date is a recommendation as to the optimum time to eat a food by- not that the food will necessarily be spoiled by that point. You gotta think like a manufacturer- "when I can guarantee this will be good so as to not be sued, and when is the soonest I can put the date so they will by another package?"

ChelC
04-24-2009, 09:00 AM
I agree, we ran into someone at the dump throwing out all their thirty year old wheat. Hubby knows wheat like no one should since it's his job. He tasted some and looked at it and it was perfectly fine. We took it for our chickens for scratch.

Meats are a different story, but processed cheese if it's been stored in the fridge sealed, is most likely fine.

maven29
04-24-2009, 09:06 AM
I was laughing with DH about this thread and he said the only time he had velveeta in his home growing up is when they were going fishing. Apparently it's great fish bait.

Ah yes I forgot this use. Roll it up in balls and use for fishing. Velvetta goes hand in hand with the potted meat and vienna sausages also, which shall outlast the cockroaches in an apocolyptic disaster.

ericat18
04-24-2009, 09:12 AM
I did not get what vacuum buddies meant either. I had to read this thread to dh last night because I was laughing so hard, and he explained it to me. Maybe because he used to be one (since he was once a teenage boy). I was thinking that they must all work at a janitorial job or something and did not get why that was relevant to a cheese discussion. :icon_rofl

DH uses velveeta for fish bait too.

Someone mentioned as long as it is still sealed and has been refrigerated it should be fine. I don't think it needs to have been refrigerated if it is still sealed. :p

ChelC
04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't think it needs to have been refrigerated if it is still sealed.

Yeah, I guess you're right. lol.

Dori
04-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I knew right away what teenage vacuum buddies were.
I would like to clarify that they need not be boys to be vacuum buddies.
My oldest 4 girls and their friends often cleared the pantry when they lived at home.

amysusi
04-24-2009, 10:10 AM
ROFL!!!

We only had Velveeta in our house for fish bait too. And as foe having the men do the smell test, LOL! Don't trust them. Our mayo smelled llike sourdough one day and DH said "cool, I love sourdough!" I told him he could use it but I would not feed it to the kids or I.

ChelC
04-24-2009, 11:01 AM
"cool, I love sourdough!"

:lol:

My husband is so the opposite. He smells everything before he eats it. My MIL ruined him on leftovers - she saves everything and brings it back to the dinner table until it's gone. Once we ate there and they had a tiny bowl of about a quarter cup of peas that were left over on the dinner table. So now my husband is very picky. Food can't touch, mayo has to go on the meat and not the bread so it isn't slimy and leftovers are an abomination. My cousin and her husband still tease him about once when he complained I didn't make enough mexican food for him and said "All we ever have is roast, and chicken and..." My cousins husband thought he was lucky and has never let him live it down.

chrisbresh
04-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Expiration date? Never noticed one - I quit using it when it gets all dried out. I'm sure it will be fine. I ditto the comment "it's not REAL cheese anyway".

berlinsmommy
04-24-2009, 08:14 PM
And as foe having the men do the smell test, LOL! Don't trust them. Our mayo smelled like sourdough one day and DH said "cool, I love sourdough!"

That is the funniest thing I've read all day. Gross, but funny.