PDA

View Full Version : Pearsauce (like applesauce), and pearjam?

LBMarie9
11-23-2009, 10:25 PM
can I buy these things or will I need to make them with pears in season (when are pears the cheapest -now?!)

I want to start giving the kids pear sauce (purreed pears--with no added sugar-just like applesauce) can I just buy some of this somewhere? thanks!

JulieE-
11-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Don't know if you can buy it-but I make my own for my baby. I just buy canned pears (with pear juice and no sugar added) and puree them int he blender.

LBMarie9
11-23-2009, 11:30 PM
thank you--I'm looking for something low in Sals (a food chemical) and it is high in canned pears---it seems like it would be such a pain to peel and core so many pears for sauce--ah!

lardchar
11-24-2009, 08:22 AM
If you have a squeezo (or similar type machine) you don't have to peel the pears or apples. I got one from my MIL and love it. You just steam the fruit and run it through the squeezo. It separates the good stuff from the peel and core. If you are serious about making some sauce I saw one of these on the PYP classifieds page. Totally worth it for me.
I use my squeezo for lots of things. My favorite was pomegranate jam. I would never have been able to do it without the Squeezo. Good luck with your pear sauce.

justy
11-24-2009, 09:50 AM
I have bought pear sauce from the church cannery before and it is really good! It's just like applesauce.

katie-rose
11-24-2009, 11:00 AM
We just went through stage one feingold. Meaning we consumed vast quantities of pears & pineapples, lol. For pearsauce, I just cut pears in half, cut out the core, and put them in a big pot with a little water, 1-2 Tbs agave or honey, 1-2 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp vanilla (yum!). When they were cooked enough to be a little mushy, I threw them (peels on) into the blender and pureed until smooth. I canned the first batch in quart jars, but the second batch I put in the jars and then froze them.

I made pear jam as well, but we're cutting out refined sugar so I need to try some with agave or honey. Buy Low and Sunflower Market have had really good prices on pears lately, maybe again in the near future? I hope so, as I've grown accustomed to pear, banana & pineapple smoothies. :)

The low-sals diet didn't do much for us, I guess that's good news. We're on now to eliminate wheat (thankfully not all gluten). What a process! send me a pm if you want low-sals ideas.

LBMarie9
11-24-2009, 02:42 PM
you have a pm==thanks for the replies--I'm thinking I'm gonna have to make it (does the kind from the distribution have sugar? I'm assuming so-we need sugarless)

LBMarie9
11-24-2009, 02:42 PM
If you have a squeezo (or similar type machine) you don't have to peel the pears or apples. I got one from my MIL and love it. You just steam the fruit and run it through the squeezo. It separates the good stuff from the peel and core. If you are serious about making some sauce I saw one of these on the PYP classifieds page. Totally worth it for me.
I use my squeezo for lots of things. My favorite was pomegranate jam. I would never have been able to do it without the Squeezo. Good luck with your pear sauce.
how much do these run usually?

lardchar
11-24-2009, 03:35 PM
how much do these run usually?
You can spend up to $250 for them...which is why the lady selling hers for $25 is a screaming deal. I just checked and she still has it listed in the penny classifieds. Granted, I don't know much about the different levels of them, but I like mine and its the basic model!

ChelC
11-24-2009, 07:28 PM
We just made a ton of applesauce recently and it wasn't too bad really. I wonder if those apple gadgets would work on pears to peel core and slice them? We did ours by hand, so it was a bit of work but really not bad. The bummer is that it makes less than you expect it will.

BTW, we noticed this weekend that Carlos seems to be reacting to salicylates also. We aren't positive, but I think maybe it was honey (we were using in moderation) and the natural peanut butter we've been giving him. We've been eating tons of pears the past few days around here. He would be thrilled to have pear sauce to change it up.

Also, I have read conflicting information about pineapple and salicylates, so I've been afraid to give it to him. What is the deal with them? One of my lists says they are high, but Feingold allows them. I haven't bought the Feingold materials because they are so pricey for something that may or may not help.

LBMarie9
11-25-2009, 02:10 AM
wow I'm in over my head with the sals thing--but I am going off these two lists:
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~ataraxy/Salicylates_list.html

and this one (which seems to go better since I think it's measured in quanitities that one would consume? I'm not sure)
http://www.salicylatesensitivity.com/food-guide

I - for now (since I'm not sure this is the problem) just taking out the very high things and seeing if I see a difference. as for pineapple I gave it to my kids yesterday and my DD for SURE has mucous (sorry TMI) in her poo (which I already knew happened and she has a horrible rash- so really I know I should avoid it anyhow (atleast for now for her-though I LOVE IT!)

LBMarie9
11-25-2009, 02:11 AM
if you are talking about the apple corer-slinky maker-- I tried mine yesterday on a pear and it was a mess! (either it will be unripe and maybe work but not be juicy)- or it will be a mushy mess-I wil try it again with a different pear I assure you since I want to find shortcuts--I hate cutting pears--did I mention that--?! blah

mpetersen
01-10-2010, 09:30 PM
if you are talking about the apple corer-slinky maker-- I tried mine yesterday on a pear and it was a mess! (either it will be unripe and maybe work but not be juicy)- or it will be a mushy mess-I wil try it again with a different pear I assure you since I want to find shortcuts--I hate cutting pears--did I mention that--?! blah

you want a victorio strainer. they are used for apple sauce. It will cut your work in half! boil the pears till soft, and run through the strainer. sauce comes out the bottom and the peels and core go out the side. worth the investment in my opinion.

pynkhope
01-10-2010, 09:48 PM
I hate cutting pears--did I mention that--?! blah
After you cut a pear in half, you can use a melon baller or a tomato/strawberry corer to take out the middle. Much easier to remove the seeds/core than with a knife IMO. A friend told me that you can drop pears into boiling water for 30 sec - 1 min and then slip their skins off (similar to how you do peaches and tomatoes for canning). If you wear rubber gloves, that helps pull the skins off even more easily. HTH

pynkhope
01-10-2010, 09:52 PM
victorio strainer
This is a brand name. If you search for Fruit & Vegetable Strainer & Grinder you will find that you have a lot of options. Kitchenaid even has one as an attachment.

junipertrailin
01-11-2010, 10:54 PM
we have both pear and apple trees, so I made both this past summer. I was not thrilled with the pear sauce. They were not overripe when I made the sauce, but it turned out so much thinner and juicier than the applesauce. Just took ALOT more pears to get the same quantity of sauce than when using apples. As far as end result, I guess it was the same, I use the pearsauce for baking (oil substitute) so can't vouch for the stand alone taste, but was very surprised at the difference in texture.