PDA

View Full Version : Tortillas

Mommasue
01-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Does anyone have advice/know how/known as a guru/pro, etc. about how to make tortillas?

My spanish friends used to say "se parece como una mapa de mexico!" Meaning, when I rolled out the dough, they looked like a map of mexico- I digress . . .

After eating some not so good ones today I would like to know how to do it and actually do it. There's nothing like hot and homemade tortillas.

redheadcouponclipper
01-28-2006, 02:03 AM
Grandma's Colantuono's Flour Tortillas

Yield: 12 tortillas

2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
3 tbs lard or shortening, (or 1 1/2 tbs each of Shortening and butter)
2/3 cup water

Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.

Heat lard or shortening and butter mixture and water in a small saucepan over low heat until shortening has just melted.
Allow mixture to cool for a minute or two, then gradually stir it into the flour mixture.
Form into a dough by hand.
The result should be a dough that is neither wet nor dry and crumbly.
If too wet, add a little more flour; if too dry, add a little more water.
Knead dough briefly, and divide into 12 pieces.
Roll the pieces of dough into little balls between the palms of your hands, place on a flat surface, cover with a
slightly damp towel, and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes (up to 1 1/2 hours).

Preheat a large, heavy skillet or griddle. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into rounds about 7-8 inches in diameter.
Place a dough round on the cooking surface; within about 30 seconds the dough should start to bubble, and some
little brown spots should begin to form on the bottom. (Fire or Stove settings vary, so you’ll have to experiment with the amount of heat.)
Flip tortilla, and cook another 30 seconds.
By this time it should start to puff a little more, and the other side should develop light brown spots.
Flip tortilla again; it should immediately begin to puff, sometimes into a large, nearly round ball.
When tortilla has fully expanded, remove it from the heat, and place them in a thick towel.
Adjust heat as necessary as you cook remaining tortillas.

Hope this helps, I know when I make them they do not last
long around the house....Granddaughter-Stephanie Ford

Mommasue
01-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the recipe. I have a question, do I need to buy lard or does shortening work? I'm excited to try this!!!

mom2girls2boys
01-30-2006, 04:09 PM
I am excited to try this recipe too. I have been buying tortilla mix - it will be nice to have a recipe I can just make with ingredients I always have on hand!

redheadcouponclipper
01-31-2006, 09:00 AM
You can use all shortening or the shortening and butter mix, this is the way i do it.
Thank you.

Jenny
02-01-2006, 02:15 PM
When you use lard you get the more authentic mexican taste. It also happens to be much cheaper than shortening. A box of it (I think it's about 16 ounces) is only $.58 at Walmart!! If you aren't much of a lard lover you can use the 1/2 shortening and 1/2 lard which doesn't give it a strong lard taste but still is better than plain shortening. Just an observation that I have found out. HTH!!