PDA

View Full Version : Rancid Rice? Can you eat it?

Jumperhop
05-12-2008, 01:33 PM
I have a LOT of rice in my food storage that tastes rancid to me.

Please don't flame me but I was wondering if you can still eat it. I figure that I could add chicken bullion or some sort of flavoring to mask the taste.

Is it still healthy to eat or should I just toss it out.
Thanks
Jen

LazyBear
05-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't even worry about eating it. Yuck!

Don't throw it away though. Turn it into something useful. :)

Use it to make neck and muscle warmers.

Buy some Men's tube socks, fill with rice, sew shut.

Toss them into the microwave for 2 minutes when you need to have a hot pad.

They are really fun to make using scraps of silly printed fabric.

Athletes love them for gifts, especially runners.

Women love them for PMS/menstral cramps.

Elderly love them for arthritis and painful joints.

Make a bunch for Christmas presents too!

home4funkids
05-12-2008, 08:15 PM
One of the food storage places that I go to said that if your brown rice has gone rancid you can just rinse the rancid oil off before cooking, and it should be okay. Can't say I have had to use this tip yet, but hope it helps.

P.S. In general you wash most of the nutrients off of white rice. I was told at the food storage place that this is not the case with brown rice.

Dori
05-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't even worry about eating it. Yuck!

Don't throw it away though. Turn it into something useful. :)

Use it to make neck and muscle warmers.

Buy some Men's tube socks, fill with rice, sew shut.

Toss them into the microwave for 2 minutes when you need to have a hot pad.

They are really fun to make using scraps of silly printed fabric.

Athletes love them for gifts, especially runners.

Women love them for PMS/menstral cramps.

Elderly love them for arthritis and painful joints.

Make a bunch for Christmas presents too!

But wouldn't it get stinky in the microwave? Since it's rancid...I've made the warmers with good rice and wheat.

fanofvintage
05-12-2008, 10:29 PM
But wouldn't it get stinky in the microwave? Since it's rancid...I've made the warmers with good rice and wheat. I agree, it does have a yucky smell when microwaved.

fanofvintage
05-12-2008, 10:37 PM
One of the food storage places that I go to said that if your brown rice has gone rancid you can just rinse the rancid oil off before cooking, and it should be okay. Can't say I have had to use this tip yet, but hope it helps.

P.S. In general you wash most of the nutrients off of white rice. I was told at the food storage place that this is not the case with brown rice.

When fats go rancid, even in grains, they are not good for you to eat. If you were destitude, then they might sustain life. If you are in a better place financially, then you really ought to throw the lot of it out. Compost it if you must!!! Also, anytime you rinse rice, you are losing water soluble vitamins. Brown rice hasn't been processed, so you would lose less nutrients than if you were rinsing white rice. However, my professional opinion would be that you aren't going to get much nutrition from rancid rice anyway.

If you are going to store brown rice, you might want to consider having it packed in #10 cans with the oxypacks (keeps fats from being oxidized quickly) or, I keep my brown rice in airtight ziplock bags in the freezer. Don't plan on storing brown rice for more than a year for best quality.

parkmom
05-18-2008, 11:08 AM
okay, I got some canned rice from 1997 and I do not see any oil and I do not really know what rancid means, but it has gone brown (originally it was white) and has a little bit of a strange smell. I cook some and it taste okay, but has a strange after taste. Is this useable? I also did not know that you could compost rice.

michelleh
05-18-2008, 11:32 AM
okay, I got some canned rice from 1997 and I do not see any oil and I do not really know what rancid means, but it has gone brown (originally it was white) and has a little bit of a strange smell. I cook some and it taste okay, but has a strange after taste. Is this useable? I also did not know that you could compost rice.
was your can stored on cement? My mil gave us some once that was in a #10 can. when I opened it, it was a different color. I figured out that she had stored it on cement and it had rusted. It's not good to store anything directly on cement.

what about using the rice in bean bags? that way it won't get heated and stink.

slkemommy
05-19-2008, 01:15 AM

Is this from the lds church cannery? We canned LOTS of rice in 1998. I remember (many years back) opening a can and seeing that it had darkened (light tan). It definately wasn't white, white anymore.

We are still using that same rice. It tastes just fine. Obviously there was a chemical change in there (with the oxy packets maybe?? or maybe just the brand of rice?), but since it tastes fine we continue to eat it. We were worried at first because it looked so different that when we had canned it, but here we are 10 years later fine as can be. We eat a lot of rice in our family. I can't remember how many pounds we bought originally, but I know it was hundreds of pounds.

bandbcdktt
05-19-2008, 08:08 PM
I've been told that rice doesn't go rancid, however, I, too had rice from an LDS cannery that turned from white to almost beige/transluscent and smelled rancid. It hadn't even passed the use by date that the cannery recommends. I didn't use it. I'm pretty frugal, but the rancid smell was a huge turn off.

Kelleysvt
06-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Could it be fed to chickens? I do this pretty often with scraps and such from the kitchen. I have also used some outdated but not 'rancid' stuff. Does anyone know if it would hurt them? I love my hennys.

fanofvintage
06-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Could it be fed to chickens? I do this pretty often with scraps and such from the kitchen. I have also used some outdated but not 'rancid' stuff. Does anyone know if it would hurt them? I love my hennys.l

I think that chickens can eat almost anything. There is a guy in UT county who will come and pick up all of the wheat, rice or other grains that you want to get rid of, no matter how old. He feeds it all to his chickens.