PDA

View Full Version : Brigham / Perry Fruit Stands

budgetmom
06-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Anybody been to the Brigham / Perry fruit stands lately? What kinds of stuff do they currently have? Any info would be great before I decide on a trip!

goodcarma
06-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Our annual trip will be on Labor Day! September 1 this year - can't wait!

I would think right now they would have cherries (maybe) and apricots. Anyone?

frissa
06-27-2008, 06:25 PM
We usually get our apricots in mid July. I have not heard anything yet but I was going to call in a couple of weeks.

Hadley-sMommy
06-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Nielsen's and Paul's Patch are the only ones open. They're having problems with the highway construction going on right now. From word of mouth, (take it for what it's worth) Paul's Patch supposedly had to move south on Highway 89 just a bit because somebody was saying with the construction they weren't going to give business access and said it wasn't their problem to do so. Again, I'm not sure about the truth in the matter. DH's grandma passed this along to me.
Anyway, I have been to both Nielsen's and Paul's, about a week ago. I didn't see cherries, but I wasn't looking for them. Nielsen's didn't really have much, and I was only going for one thing. Paul's had regular and red potatoes, cantaloupe, grapes, watermelon, pineapple, peppers, apples and peas. That's all I remember seeing, but I'm sure there was more. I was only looking for peas. HTH some!
Speaking of...I've posted before but got no replies. I really want fresh peas but didn't know what a good price is on them. Paul's Patch had them for $2.98/lb. Is that okay to pay?

budgetmom
06-27-2008, 07:01 PM
That's great info, thanks. I definitely want to make some apricot & cherry jam, so I'll check in a couple of weeks and then go from there.

JLP
06-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Last week I actually looked in the phone book for the fruit stands. The only one I saw was Nielsen's. He said that there should be apricots in about 3 weeks. I always thought it was in June. But I guess I have to wait. The construction is really a mess. I always love Pettingill's fruit. Never had a problem with bugs like the others.

RoseparkStar
06-28-2008, 07:47 PM
I remember apricots round 4th of July, I know this cause......its a sad reason why, but bout 4 years ago my nephew was born on 4th of july, and died that day (he was born at 26 weeks, but would have lived if his mom didnt have ecoli that he contracted a bug from). I remember the day of his funeral in North Ogden about 4 or so days later, and the trees dripping in apricots, and them falling on the ground.

It might be that the funky spring and late cold weather set them back a bit. but early to mid July is usually when you can get good prices on them.

24-7mom
06-28-2008, 09:54 PM
One year I bought a box of peaches from one of the big fruit stands and when I got home I discovered that they were Palisade peaches from Colorado - near Grand Junction. It didn't even occur to me that they would be selling fruit that wasn't locally grown. They weren't that good, probably because they had to have been picked green. So just an FYI.

deann
06-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Any news pertaining to Pettingill's Stand? :cherry: :cherry: :cherry:

That's been our fam's fav for years! :gut:

wahm-coder
06-29-2008, 11:52 PM
I haven't seen Pettingills open yet. Unfortunately a lot of the fruit stands are not selling local produce it is being shipped in. Not all of it but a lot of it is. I am also watching for apricots too.

HomemakerTrish
06-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Be sure to check out Valcarce fruit farms this summer. It's owned by my cute grandparents. It's the yellow and black fruitstand.

Kira
06-30-2008, 03:14 PM
I haven't seen many stands open yet, but the stand for Cherries is open in Willard.

jessicarae1060
07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Because I live here, I check out the fruit stands often. On Tuesday, Nielsens advertised having cherries, but all they had is the Rainier yellowish ones and they were charging about $3 a pound. Not a great deal. They also had a few peas left. I wouldn't make a trip. It appears we are about 3 weeks behind schedule right now! The road construction doesn't help at all.

frissa
07-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Do you know of a good place to get phone #s for any of the stands? We are waiting on apricots and I know they have just a small window of availability and I do not want to miss them. TIA

budgetmom
07-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Because I live here, I check out the fruit stands often. On Tuesday, Nielsens advertised having cherries, but all they had is the Rainier yellowish ones and they were charging about $3 a pound. Not a great deal. They also had a few peas left. I wouldn't make a trip. It appears we are about 3 weeks behind schedule right now! The road construction doesn't help at all.

Oh, that's great to know. Thanks!

jessicarae1060
07-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Do you know of a good place to get phone #s for any of the stands? We are waiting on apricots and I know they have just a small window of availability and I do not want to miss them. TIA

Nielsen's phone numbers is 435-723-8112

Thayne and Cherries Famous Fruit 435-734-1700 or 801-755-8031

wahm-coder
07-13-2008, 07:26 PM
http://extension.usu.edu/boxelder/files/uploads/Fruit%20Production/Produce%20Stand%20Webpage%20Information.pdf

also check out http://www.pickyourown.org/

I haven't stopped yet because there doesn't seem to be much out. I am giving it a couple weeks..........

DesignerMom
07-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Thayne and Cherries Famous Fruit 435-734-1700 or 801-755-8031

These are my extended cousins. I hope they have a good crop too. Give them a try. They are mid way on hwy 89.

Kira
07-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Seems like most are open now.

Ex-Spender
07-14-2008, 09:18 AM
If you are looking for Raspberries, may I suggest my parents' fruit stand-- Berries by the Bay. They have an ad on KSL.com (http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=3749887&cat=&lpid=) if you want more info! Thanks!

Hadley-sMommy
07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
If you are looking for Raspberries, may I suggest my parents' fruit stand-- Berries by the Bay. They have an ad on KSL.com (http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=3749887&cat=&lpid=) if you want more info! Thanks!
Yum! I love fresh raspberries but they're so expensive! I may have to take a drive into Willard! Thanks

luckystars
07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
How much is a pound of raspberries - maybe compared to those little square containers that grocery stores sell?
And...I'm headed to Bear Lake the 3rd weekend in August, will they be cheaper there (if there are any left after raspberry days) or should I get them in willard?
Thanks!

Hadley-sMommy
07-14-2008, 03:03 PM
The KSL ad says that they're 3.50/lb if they pick them, 3.xx/lb if you pick them!

luckystars
07-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Sorry, I meant how big/how much will I get?

mvse
07-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah, does anyone know how much they are for a flat? I think they usually are $11-12/flat, right?

luckystars
07-14-2008, 03:23 PM
My FIL got some at albies over the weekend, 1/2 case for $12. He said they were big and beautiful. I'm just wondering if I can get more for the money in willard. Anyone know?

budgetmom
07-14-2008, 03:41 PM
My FIL got some at albies over the weekend, 1/2 case for $12. He said they were big and beautiful. I'm just wondering if I can get more for the money in willard. Anyone know?

I don't know. I'm going for more of the organic reasoning rather than the cheapest I can find reasoning!

Ex-Spender
07-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I would just call my dad (Kevin) & ask him all the questions you want. He would be able to tell you everything! Sorry that I am not much help but I haven't done much with the raspberries. I would just look at the ad on KSL and call! Hope this helps!

(They make wonderful Jam -- YUM!!!)

michelleh
07-14-2008, 10:49 PM
How much is a pound of raspberries - maybe compared to those little square containers that grocery stores sell?
And...I'm headed to Bear Lake the 3rd weekend in August, will they be cheaper there (if there are any left after raspberry days) or should I get them in willard?
Thanks!
maybe I'm too late. but I think the little squares in the store are 6 oz each. hth.

bluebooks
07-14-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't know. I'm going for more of the organic reasoning rather than the cheapest I can find reasoning!

My experience with fruit stands and fruit farms is that a lot of their produce is not organic. I picked, sorted and sold fruit for two or three different fruit farmers. Most of their produce is shipped out to area stores. They just reserve out some for the fruit stand. They use the same pesticides on the fruit sold in the stands. Even the "pick your own" stuff has often been sprayed. Unless the produce is specifically labeled as organic, don't assume that it is any better than the rest.

hut
07-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Yum! I love fresh raspberries but they're so expensive! I may have to take a drive into Willard! Thanks
I wonder why they are so expensive if they don't incur any huge transportation costs? The reason can't be because of gas prices.

budgetmom
07-15-2008, 08:50 AM
My experience with fruit stands and fruit farms is that a lot of their produce is not organic. I picked, sorted and sold fruit for two or three different fruit farmers. Most of their produce is shipped out to area stores. They just reserve out some for the fruit stand. They use the same pesticides on the fruit sold in the stands. Even the "pick your own" stuff has often been sprayed. Unless the produce is specifically labeled as organic, don't assume that it is any better than the rest.

I was just talking about the raspberries listed above as that's what she asked about. The ad specifically stated organic.

bluebooks
07-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I was just talking about the raspberries listed above as that's what she asked about. The ad specifically stated organic.

Sorry - I completely missed that.

budgetmom
07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Sorry - I completely missed that.

It's fine! Just thought I'd throw that in for anyone else wondering about the organic statement.

mvse
07-15-2008, 04:46 PM

I am pretty sure this is who I bought raspberries from 2 years ago (before they had the stand) and they were great raspberries and Kevin was super nice! If I remember right, they are also everbearing so they will have a fairly continuous supply until fall. I was wondering if they had a stand this year - looks like a trip to willard!

budgetmom
07-15-2008, 04:47 PM
I am pretty sure this is who I bought raspberries from 2 years ago (before they had the stand) and they were great raspberries and Kevin was super nice! If I remember right, they are also everbearing so they will have a fairly continuous supply until fall. I was wondering if they had a stand this year - looks like a trip to willard!

We were there today & they are all out right now. They said they hope to have some back by the weekend, though. I snuck an order in for then!

mvse
07-15-2008, 04:49 PM
We were there today & they are all out right now. They said they hope to have some back by the weekend, though. I snuck an order in for then!

So do you know if we can call and put in an order? Did you need to prepay?

budgetmom
07-15-2008, 06:35 PM
So do you know if we can call and put in an order? Did you need to prepay?

I have no idea. I didn't think to ask! We just happened across it on a drive (kind of a "while we are here" thing) and they happened to be out front. I'm sure you could call & ask though. They were very nice. And no, he just took my name. I didn't prepay. I'm assuming if I don't show up when I said I would, he'll just sell them to someone else. I get that.

bnpete
07-16-2008, 08:48 AM
I have no idea. I didn't think to ask! We just happened across it on a drive (kind of a "while we are here" thing) and they happened to be out front. I'm sure you could call & ask though. They were very nice. And no, he just took my name. I didn't prepay. I'm assuming if I don't show up when I said I would, he'll just sell them to someone else. I get that.

I called yesterday to ask when blackberries were coming on, etc. (in 2 weeks - fyi) He said that you don't need to call ahead and preorder unless you're wanting to purchase for a large group and would like a bunch picked for you. We have a group fom RS that will probably want 15-20 flats each of raspberries and blackberries. He said that a day or two heads up for him would be great so that he could have them picked, sorted and ready for us. If not, it's not a problem - we'd just need to go out and pick them ourselves. HTH.

budgetmom
07-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I called yesterday to ask when blackberries were coming on, etc. (in 2 weeks - fyi) He said that you don't need to call ahead and preorder unless you're wanting to purchase for a large group and would like a bunch picked for you. We have a group fom RS that will probably want 15-20 flats each of raspberries and blackberries. He said that a day or two heads up for him would be great so that he could have them picked, sorted and ready for us. If not, it's not a problem - we'd just need to go out and pick them ourselves. HTH.

Oh, that's great to know. Thanks!

frissa
07-17-2008, 01:28 PM
We are going to the zoo tomorrow coming from Cache Valley. Has anyone seen apricots out yet? We will hit the fruit stands on our way back at like 6 or 7 so we need a fruit stand that is open later. TIA!!!

budgetmom
07-17-2008, 02:00 PM
We are going to the zoo tomorrow coming from Cache Valley. Has anyone seen apricots out yet? We will hit the fruit stands on our way back at like 6 or 7 so we need a fruit stand that is open later. TIA!!!

There were only 3 or so stands open at all on Tuesday and, I think, one of them had apricots. They were pretty tiny, so I didn't ask a price.

wahm-coder
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Ok here is what I found for Willard. Grays hasn't picked apricots yet, neither has Sumidas. Pettingills apricots are $20 for 1/2 bushel. or 1.29/# Thaynes 19.75 for 1/2 bushel. Grammys 7.50 for 1/2 peck or 1/8 bushel. Nielsons 1.79/#

budgetmom
07-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Ok here is what I found for Willard. Grays hasn't picked apricots yet, neither has Sumidas. Pettingills apricots are $20 for 1/2 bushel. or 1.29/# Thaynes 19.75 for 1/2 bushel. Grammys 7.50 for 1/2 peck or 1/8 bushel. Nielsons 1.79/#

Ooooh. I think it was Grammys we stopped at & I didn't like the looks of them. Hmmm.

coffeyshoppe
07-19-2008, 02:18 PM

We went to Perry today (Saturday) and bought purple raspberries. They are so delicious! I'm going to make jam this afternoon. Thanks for the info, Ex-Spender!

(BTW, your dad is really nice!)

frissa
07-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the info on apricots. I think we will wait a few weeks for apricots. Sounds like they are just getting the first of the crop out.

Ex-Spender
07-19-2008, 04:28 PM
We went to Perry today (Saturday) and bought purple raspberries. They are so delicious! I'm going to make jam this afternoon. Thanks for the info, Ex-Spender!

Thanks -- I think so!!! Hope you enjoy the Jam!

luckystars
07-19-2008, 04:30 PM
I went to get the raspberries, too. Got some red & some purple. I met your mom too. Nice family.
Thanks!
I stopped at Pettingill's for apricots. They looked pretty good sized. A peck was $10.50 so I only got one.

Cruiser
07-19-2008, 04:32 PM
How much were the red raspberries? Never had purple ones before -- are these fruit stands open during the week or just on week-ends??

Thanks!

budgetmom
07-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks -- I think so!!! Hope you enjoy the Jam!

I stopped in and got mine, too. 2 flats just waiting to be turned to jam next week. Can't wait!

wahm-coder
07-19-2008, 06:35 PM
How much were the red raspberries? Never had purple ones before -- are these fruit stands open during the week or just on week-ends??

Thanks!
They are open during the week and weekend but not all are open on Sunday.

maloufish
08-26-2008, 12:57 AM

How much were the raspberries? And do they still have them? The KSL link was not working.

Ex-Spender
08-26-2008, 08:44 AM
How much were the raspberries? And do they still have them? The KSL link was not working.

Yes, they still have them. But due to some wind storms that beat up the bushes alot, the berries are taking their time coming back on. So my dad took the ad off of KSL.com until they come back in full swing. However, I do know that people have been calling him and he has been picking a little bit. You could try him & see if he has what you need. The # is 435-730-1230 and my dad is Kevin. I believe that the prices were about 3.50 a pound, but if you call you could check with him. HTH!

coffeyshoppe
08-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Yes, they still have them. But due to some wind storms that beat up the bushes alot, the berries are taking their time coming back on. So my dad took the ad off of KSL.com until they come back in full swing. However, I do know that people have been calling him and he has been picking a little bit. You could try him & see if he has what you need. The # is 435-730-1230 and my dad is Kevin. I believe that the prices were about 3.50 a pound, but if you call you could check with him. HTH!

We paid $3.50 when we went a few weeks ago.

I gotta report on the jam I made. It is SOOOO yummy! My whole family loves it. The flavor is much more intense than the batches I have made in the past.

Thanks again for the tip, Ex-Spender!

carswayman04
08-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Anyone know the price of peaches in Brigham City for peache days are usually? Would like to try bottling peaches this year and our trees are still young.