PDA

View Full Version : Extra cucumbers--what to do??

tcbiesinger
08-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Does anybody have suggestions of what to do with all these cucumbers. I have always had trouble growing them, but this year they are plentiful. I know I can do pickles, but I am concerned that the cost of the canning materials will be more than I can buy pickles for with my coupons. I just don't want them to bo bad and get wasted. Any ideas?

jdlmom2001
08-16-2008, 11:31 AM
You could take them to your local food bank. I read an article last year in the Provo paper that they are always in need of fresh fruit and vegetables. Or you could always peddle them off to your neighbors.

budgetmom
08-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Aw, man. I hope we have that problem since we are canning chow this year!

barginhunter
08-16-2008, 12:25 PM
We love to eat them with peanut butter, you could post them on KSL for like .25 or .50 each

Mommasue
08-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Aw, man. I hope we have that problem since we are canning chow this year!
Do tell more- what is chow that you are canning?

budgetmom
08-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Do tell more- what is chow that you are canning?

It's like a relish - cucumbers, cauliflower, peppers, seasoning all pickled and yummy. I think someone posted a close recipe on the tomitilla thread a couple of days ago.

bowlamand
08-16-2008, 01:21 PM
We eat them in Cuke Salad.
Its 2 tomatoes and 1 cuke chopped up . Add 3 T (or so) of Miraclewip and salt and pepper. YUM I wish my cucumbers were growing like yours.

shazbraz
08-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Mmmmm...that sounds yummy.

I love them sliced up on sandwiches, either on a big Subway-type sandwich with all the fixin's or just by themselves on white bread with a little cream cheese.

We also often just eat them cut into slices as a side with dinner or lunch.

We eat them in Cuke Salad.
Its 2 tomatoes and 1 cuke chopped up . Add 3 T (or so) of Miraclewip and salt and pepper. YUM I wish my cucumbers were growing like yours.

justy
08-16-2008, 03:09 PM
My g-ma would always pickle them just in a jar and put them in the fridge. They will last a few weeks or so. I don't know the recipe, it is vinegar, water, salt or something to that effect. Check the internet for recipes and eat them that way. They were really good!

stlouisgirl
08-16-2008, 03:29 PM
We slice them and soak them in red wine vinegar overnight in the fridg and eat them the next day.

save-n-smile
08-16-2008, 04:08 PM
We slice them and soak them in red wine vinegar overnight in the fridg and eat them the next day.
Now that sounds yummy! Thanks for the ideas.

My husband grew up in a Mexican family and they slice them and sprinkle salt and lime juice on them. They love them that way! Even 2 of my kids love them that way!
W ewent through 1 1/2 cukes in one night!

I like to use slices as crackers with tuna! They are juicy and yummy!

xocoholic
08-16-2008, 11:14 PM
We love to eat cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches. They are really good with the garden veggie cream cheese. Just add cucumber slices and toast the bread.

jlmanoo
08-17-2008, 12:58 PM
If you already have your bottles, making pickles really isnt that costly. You need vinegar, rock salt and alum. I have made over 20 quarts of pickles with less than one gallon of the vinegar, 3/4 of the box of rock salt and one container of alum. Plus they taste better. JMO

momtonathanandtwins
08-17-2008, 02:17 PM
It's like a relish - cucumbers, cauliflower, peppers, seasoning all pickled and yummy. I think someone posted a close recipe on the tomitilla thread a couple of days ago.
I can't wait to make chow chow relish this year. This will be my first year making it myself but I never turn down a jar.

apeyh1
08-17-2008, 02:59 PM
I looked on Allrecipes.com earlier this month because I am also getting bombarded with cukes. Here's one for ya to try: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sour-Cream-Cucumber-and-Dill-Dip/Detail.aspx. Try adding some garlic and maybe if your feeling daring, sub some of the sour cream with cream cheese. Yum!

Thanks to the rest of you for the ideas.

momtonathanandtwins
08-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I'd take homemade pickles over store bought pickles anyday. They taste better and you don't get all the chemical taste with them.

That being said here are a few favorite cucumber recipes in our house:
cucumber pasta (http://norahsrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/08/cool-cucumber-pasta.html)

salad (http://norahsrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/08/cucumber-tomato-and-onion-salad.html)

splitenzs
08-17-2008, 08:07 PM
how do you tell if theyre ready to pick? I have an abundance of armanian ones & I don't know when to pick them

calmingweight
08-18-2008, 06:52 PM
I make a variation of the vinegar recipe:

1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt & celery seed

I add onions to the cucumbers. I like the sweetness to it because I grew up on it, but DH can't stand it. Depends on your preference.

classicmom
08-21-2008, 09:49 PM
My husband grew up in a Mexican family and they slice them and sprinkle salt and lime juice on them. They love them that way! Even 2 of my kids love them that way!
W ewent through 1 1/2 cukes in one night!

I tried this tonight for dinner - they were divine! Super-easy variation on regular sliced cucumbers. Thanks for sharing!

lmabey
08-21-2008, 11:16 PM
My grandma had a great use for cucumbers that I love and use today, and my kids love it too! In a large tupperware fill with enough water to cover sliced cukes. Add vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. You can make it more vinegary or more sweet. Also slice up an onion or two and add. It keeps in the fridge for quite a long time, even a couple of weeks. I pull it out at dinner and lunch and the kids love it.

DesignerMom
08-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Here's my favorite

Marinated Cucumbers
From Diana Rattray,
Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

Cucumbers with a marinade of vinegar, water, dill, sugar, and seasoning.

INGREDIENTS:
4 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons chopped dill
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash pepper

PREPARATION:
Combine sliced cucumber with all other ingredients; cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before serving.
Marinated cucumbers recipe serves 4 to 6.

renee2k
08-24-2008, 08:38 PM
i slice them and tomatoes red onion italian dressing flour tortilla with alittle cream cheese smeared on.. yummy!!