Pinching Your Pennies Forums

Pinching Your Pennies Forums (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/index.php)
-   Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help! (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Sentsy knock-offs at Walmart **Hot Deal** (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114696)

BragaBit 02-18-2009 02:35 PM

Sentsy knock-offs at Walmart **Hot Deal**

I have loved the Sentsy products but can't justify spending that kind of money. The other day at walmart (the Cedar City one) they had a HUGE endcap display with warmers and scented bricks. They are packaged JUST like the Scentsy line. The bricks are only $1.88 and the warmers are only $14. I took a tin and set it on my candle warmer and have melted the bricks in there. They had so many scents, I would guess close to 20...we tried the cupcake version last night and all my kids swore I must of been baking cookies. The brand name for these is ScentSationals and I really hope that Wal-mart continues to carry them because my house has never smelled so yummy :)

aepcoupons 02-18-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BragaBit
I have loved the Sentsy products but can't justify spending that kind of money. The other day at walmart (the Cedar City one) they had a HUGE endcap display with warmers and scented bricks. They are packaged JUST like the Scentsy line. The bricks are only $1.88 and the warmers are only $14. I took a tin and set it on my candle warmer and have melted the bricks in there. They had so many scents, I would guess close to 20...we tried the cupcake version last night and all my kids swore I must of been baking cookies. The brand name for these is ScentSationals and I really hope that Wal-mart continues to carry them because my house has never smelled so yummy :)

Those have been around for awhile. My Walmart carries them. I heard they were going through a lawsuit with Scentsy. Anyone know any more details about that?

WeeklyReport 02-18-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Thank you! I have seen these, and wondered if they smelled good. Now I will have to try them.

Kira 02-18-2009 02:58 PM

Dare I been seen in Walmart to buy these? :pimp:
Sounds good!

Jumperhop 02-18-2009 04:46 PM

I heard Sentsy is suing the company for pattent reasons.

My girlfriend who is a sentsy agent and I went to walmart to smell all the different sents. We loved them, she bought a ton (LOL)

I have been adding sented oils to my Sentsy wax to make them last longer.
Jen

Rubber-Duckie 02-18-2009 04:46 PM

I looked at the Logan Wal Mart but didn't see any anywhere! Does anyone know where they are located at in the store???

Usually I get so overwhelmed becasue of all the people there that I rush through the store and leave with half the stuff that I needed! I am sure that I might have walked right by them!

jdlmom2001 02-18-2009 04:49 PM

Springville Walmart has them also, I love the Vanilla Bean and the Sugar Cookie. Bought Cupcake the other day, but haven't tried it yet. I figure they last as long as the scentsy ones do, so why pay more...

javambc 02-18-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber Duckie
I looked at the Logan Wal Mart but didn't see any anywhere! Does anyone know where they are located at in the store???

Usually I get so overwhelmed becasue of all the people there that I rush through the store and leave with half the stuff that I needed! I am sure that I might have walked right by them!

I'm not in Logan, but I haven't seen ANY of these at 3 different WalMarts since Christmas. I had previously seen them near the candles though.

Jamie 02-18-2009 05:53 PM

They are at the Harrisville walmart too. They are on an endcap next to the candles and near the fabric/craft section. I think it was the last row in the middle before you cross over to electronics. Great deals! I am using the caramel popcorn one now and when ds came home from school he asked where the popcorn was. ha!

Dsscrapie 02-18-2009 07:00 PM

How long?

I just bought a bunch of Sentsy bricks at a party. The lady doing the party said you could reuse them over and over many times. I only used it 2 or 3 times and it no longer smells. I dumped it and used another brick. For those of you who have used Sentsy have you had this same problem? How long do they really last?

sherriwj 02-18-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dsscrapie
I just bought a bunch of Sentsy bricks at a party. The lady doing the party said you could reuse them over and over many times. I only used it 2 or 3 times and it no longer smells. I dumped it and used another brick. For those of you who have used Sentsy have you had this same problem? How long do they really last?

They only last about 10 hours for most....

Amybecca 02-18-2009 07:11 PM

My mom and I have compared the Scentsy bricks to the Wal Mart ones and the Scentsy ones have a stronger smell for a little longer, but for 1/2 the price?! We have also tried the liquid potpurri that Wal-Mart carries and it works too.

jennb1971 02-18-2009 08:32 PM

I am actually a Superstar Director with Scentsy and so I know quite a bit about this. Walmart is not suppost to be restocking their shelves with this "knock off" because there is a restraining order against it while they are working it out in the courts. The person that has sold these to Walmart has flat out copied the "look" of Scentsy but definately not the quality. The cost is 1/2 the price but the bars, from what I heard, don't last very long at all. Their bar says it has a 25 hour burn time, compared to Scentsy's 80-100 hours. Also, the warmers are made very cheap and it's scary if one of them were to start a fire and then be mistaken for an actual Scentsy warmer. But, I guess I'm partial because I LOVE Scentsy!!!

As to the person who said they were told you could reuse the wax over and over... the consultant might have been refering to pouring the wax back into the package if it still had scent left in it. Because once the fragrance is gone, it's gone and you'll want to pour it into the garbage and put in fresh cubes.

mykidsmom5 02-18-2009 08:50 PM

I sell Scentsy, so I might be a little close to the product to be unbiased. Yes, Scentsy is in litigation with Walmart. Technically, Walmart should have pulled everything. Our smaller bars that run $5 last 40-60 hours. During the month of February everything is 10% off. I don't know if that helps or not. I've also found some of the scents seems to last a little longer.

Leggs 02-18-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennb1971
Walmart is not suppost to be restocking their shelves with this "knock off" because there is a restraining order against it while they are working it out in the courts.

Thanks for telling us! Sounds like we'd better stock up on them while we can!

madsenfam 02-18-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykidsmom5
I've also found some of the scents seems to last a little longer.

Definately. I have some scents that have never lost any of their potency and others that go quite quickly. Overall they have all been worth it to me.

I have no problem paying $5 for someone's unique idea and patent, not to mention the individual distributors that rely on the income. I love the products!

stutz 02-18-2009 10:27 PM

The ones that I bought from walmart (green apple and vanilla cinnamon ) Smelled great in the package. When a melted them they were so strong! With the cinnamon one I can only burn one square at a time. I guess they will last longer this way!

BragaBit 02-19-2009 08:31 AM

Well I guess I am going to stock up then. Because I can't afford the $5.00 a brick price.

jkirkham 02-19-2009 11:44 AM

I love my scentsy candle. My DH can't do the strong smells for very long, so I will put in one square for several hours and then pour it back into the container and close the lid while it is still warm.....it seems when I do that it "rescents" the wax and mine last for a VERY long time that way. I also really like the ability to change my scents frequently (not usually in the same day though!)

pamcamarillo 02-19-2009 12:11 PM

Does anyone know if the Layton walmart has these?

jmzavance 02-19-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie
They are at the Harrisville walmart too. They are on an endcap next to the candles and near the fabric/craft section. I think it was the last row in the middle before you cross over to electronics. Great deals! I am using the caramel popcorn one now and when ds came home from school he asked where the popcorn was. ha!

I looked at the Harrisville WM today and could not find any there, even though I have seen them there in the past.....

mama4ever 02-19-2009 01:27 PM

I have a question about using these. Do any of you put the warmer unit on a wood surface. I am so paranoid about fires and would love to move it to a wooden table or fireplace mantle, but so far I have only used it on my kitchen counter. I hate stuff on my kitchen counter and would love to move it. Where else do you use yours?

BragaBit 02-19-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama4ever
I have a question about using these. Do any of you put the warmer unit on a wood surface. I am so paranoid about fires and would love to move it to a wooden table or fireplace mantle, but so far I have only used it on my kitchen counter. I hate stuff on my kitchen counter and would love to move it. Where else do you use yours?

I have small kids ages 1 year to 10 years, so I am paranoid about flames. I use a candle warmer. They are usually white with a black warmer thingy. I got a little piece of tin *you could use a camping tin mug or bowl* and set it on the warmer. No flames, and the wax gets hot but not serious burn hot. You can get the warmers for $4-$9 at Walmart or Roberts.

jessicarae1060 02-19-2009 01:42 PM

Just an FYI, Brigham Walmart does not carry these.

mama4ever 02-19-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

I have small kids ages 1 year to 10 years, so I am paranoid about flames. I use a candle warmer. They are usually white with a black warmer thingy. I got a little piece of tin *you could use a camping tin mug or bowl* and set it on the warmer. No flames, and the wax gets hot but not serious burn hot. You can get the warmers for $4-$9 at Walmart or Roberts.

My children are grown so I don't have to worry about little ones getting hurt, but I am wondering if the plug in units are safe to use on wood surfaces. It doesn't have a flame, but I didn't know if a warming unit will cause a fire. I have only used them on the kitchen counter and would like more options.

bonna 02-19-2009 02:17 PM

My sister has her Scentsy on a wooden table in her foyer. She's had it there for months, using it every day almost and never has had a problem. I use mine on a wooden surface but I put a ceramic coaster I made underneath it so that it is on a heat resistant surface. I've used either a trivet or coaster under my candles for years and now my Scentsy.

chickaboom 02-19-2009 02:26 PM

I recently saw a really cute mini warmer that plugs right into the outlet, so it doesn't actually sit on a surface. Has anyone else seen them anywhere?

Jamie 02-19-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickaboom
I recently saw a really cute mini warmer that plugs right into the outlet, so it doesn't actually sit on a surface. Has anyone else seen them anywhere?

Scentsy carries these now. My mom recently bought some.

chickaboom 02-19-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Scentsy carries these now. My mom recently bought some.

any idea how much they cost? tia

Jamie 02-19-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

any idea how much they cost? tia

I just looked at their catalog online quickly and it looks like they are $15 but in February everything is 10% off - so they are 13.50.

jawnc3 02-19-2009 03:09 PM

I just went to Syracuse Wal-mart and they had a whole half isle of them. There were a lot. I bought a variety and I am tryin them out to see if I like the scents and how long they last in comparison to scentsy. Right now I am burning the carmel popcorn and cupcake. I have only been burning for an hour and my whole house smells delicious. I love the scents but am waiting to see how long they will last. HTH!!!

chickaboom 02-19-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

I just looked at their catalog online quickly and it looks like they are $15 but in February everything is 10% off - so they are 13.50.

Thanks. If anyone sees them cheaper elsewhere, please let me know.

Hadley-sMommy 02-19-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks. If anyone sees them cheaper elsewhere, please let me know.

You won't get the Scentsy ones for cheaper than that...

chickaboom 02-19-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadley'sMommy
You won't get the Scentsy ones for cheaper than that...

thanks. I am wondering if some other company makes a similar product.

harveydog 02-19-2009 08:50 PM

Walmart is supposed to have stopped selling these

As a Scentsy dealer for a little over a year, it was quite disconcerting to see Walmart selling these cheap knockoffs. As someone who is trying to survive in these times it is very frustrating to see these kinds of things going on. I dont really think that Walmart needs these products in order to keep their doors open but small business people do. Walmart has been advised through the lawsuit that they are supposed to stop bringing in new scentsational products until the lawsuit is finished, but it is evident that they do not care about following any type of rules. The burners sold by Walmart are not in any way associated with Scentsy other than the idea was stolen by unscrupulous people who then market a 2nd rate cheap product to people who think they are getting an authentic product.
One of the main selling points of the Scentsy burners is that they are a safe alternative to candles. Do you really think that something that sales for so cheap is safe enough to burn in your home? Sorry for the rant here but really people ... is saving money so important that you would purchase cheap 2nd rate burners just so you can save some money?

chickaboom 02-19-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harveydog
As a Scentsy dealer for a little over a year, it was quite disconcerting to see Walmart selling these cheap knockoffs. As someone who is trying to survive in these times it is very frustrating to see these kinds of things going on. I dont really think that Walmart needs these products in order to keep their doors open but small business people do. Walmart has been advised through the lawsuit that they are supposed to stop bringing in new scentsational products until the lawsuit is finished, but it is evident that they do not care about following any type of rules. The burners sold by Walmart are not in any way associated with Scentsy other than the idea was stolen by unscrupulous people who then market a 2nd rate cheap product to people who think they are getting an authentic product.
One of the main selling points of the Scentsy burners is that they are a safe alternative to candles. Do you really think that something that sales for so cheap is safe enough to burn in your home? Sorry for the rant here but really people ... is saving money so important that you would purchase cheap 2nd rate burners just so you can save some money?

I do not know the product history of either brands nor have ever purchased Scentsy products, so what makes them actually "safer" than the "knock offs?"

becksdeals 02-19-2009 09:00 PM

I was at the South Jordan Smith's yesterday and there is a clearance cart at the back of the store that had candles and bricks in them. They say $3 but rang up $2. The bricks are very thin but very scented. In my opinion, it is better than the Scentsy ones I had. I was burning 6 cubes at a time and didn't get as much scent.

BBG 02-19-2009 09:41 PM

I was at the American Fork Wally's tonight and they had a ton of them, on an end cap by the candles. There isn't a huge variety like Scenty has, but there were a lot of the scents they carried. I too, feel sad that once again, Wal-mart has taken a product away from those who are individual distributors. My good friend sells these and it's her way of earning a living with 2 small children to care for.

Hadley-sMommy 02-19-2009 09:50 PM

edited

Leggs 02-19-2009 09:58 PM

I understand how frustrating it must be; back when I tried to sell Mary Kay, I used to get frustrated when people would buy cheaper products. I felt that they were compromising on quality to save money.

However, over time I started to realize that my potential customers' first financial obligation was to themselves and their families, not to my commission check. I felt like I was trying to survive through college, but so were the people whom I was targeting with the product. If people weren't buying the product, it was because it was just too expensive. I also started to realize that what I perceived as compromising on quality was actually them choosing to give up product characteristics that they didn't really care about in order to be able to afford the product.

I hope you're able to find some reconciliation between your career and the current need for people to save money on their luxuries.
To answer your final question, yes, absolutely. Saving money is that important to me and probably to others, and many of the "higher quality" products that I see advertised are not, in my experience, of significant enough superior quality to justify the price difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harveydog