Pinching Your Pennies Forums

Pinching Your Pennies Forums (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/index.php)
-   Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help! (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   HELP!!! What is it and where can I get it? (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118512)

susyq 04-02-2009 09:16 PM

HELP!!! What is it and where can I get it?

I am looking for.....

Cream (creme?) De menthe
Cream de cacao

All I know is that it has to be minty or something (making a grasshopper pie - without the grasshoppers)

louloubelle 04-02-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susyq
I am looking for.....

Cream (creme?) De menthe
Cream de cacao

All I know is that it has to be minty or something (making a grasshopper pie - without the grasshoppers)

I believe it is a liquor but since I don't drink I could be wrong. I just use mint flavoring when it is called for.

liljepp 04-02-2009 09:22 PM

I have a dessert I like to make that calls for creme de menthe. Either I wasn't able to find it, or it was a lot more expensive then the mint. The recipe I like calls for 2 tablespoons green creme de menthe OR I can use 1 tablespoon water plus 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon mint extract.

Since it had the duel option I use the mint extract and water. It tastes great!

I hope that helps.

mamatime 04-02-2009 09:23 PM

I needed some Creme de Menthe to make Disneyland Mint Juleps (non-alcoholic) and I found it at Orson Gygis, but that was a long time ago. I have seen it where you get flavors for coffee or italian sodas. It isn't a liquer. I personally think there is a flavor difference between the mint and the menthe and I prefer the menthe. My kids like to drizzle a tiny bit, a little goes a long way, over vanilla ice cream.

RoseparkStar 04-02-2009 09:39 PM

I was going to say both are liquors, but if you dont drink alcohol...and therefore would need to visit your local state run liquor store, most are open 11am to 7pm (or are serving kids), I would go the mint extract route. As for Cacao, this is the chocolate part, and I'm at a loss as to what to use for "chocolate flavor" thats not....well chocolate itself (and I'm a big chocoholic!!! I bought a case and half of GS Thin Mints, that prove it?).

Sorry can't answer all the question :(

mamatime 04-02-2009 09:59 PM

If you just get the syrup flavoring it won't have the alcohol. This is a yummy brand.
www.torani.com

Olympus 04-03-2009 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamatime
If you just get the syrup flavoring it won't have the alcohol. This is a yummy brand.
www.torani.com

FYI...This is usually found on top shelf of the coffee aisle in most grocery stores. But most stores don't carry a large variety of flavors. HTH

Olympus 04-03-2009 08:21 AM

Oops. Double post. :tongue3:

Dori 04-03-2009 08:22 AM

If you want to stay true to the recipe, you'll need to go to the liquor store.
They're both liqueurs.

The other suggestions made here will be substitutes.

budgetmom 04-03-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus
FYI...This is usually found on top shelf of the coffee aisle in most grocery stores. But most stores don't carry a large variety of flavors. HTH

Cost Plus World Market usually has a lot of the torani syrups...