Pinching Your Pennies Forums

Pinching Your Pennies Forums (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/index.php)
-   Preparedness tips (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   fruit leather in a food dehydrator (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121452)

Sarge 05-11-2009 10:35 AM

fruit leather in a food dehydrator

I want to try to make some fruit leather. I have an old ronco food dehydrator with no instructions. My question is, how exactly do I do this. I want to do it with strawberries and I have heard applesauce. What do I line the trays with, and if it is a special product where can I get it. Can I just use plastic wrap or will that melt? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

bluebooks 05-11-2009 11:23 AM

I would use freezer paper (glossy side up), sprayed lightly with pam. Cut your paper slightly larger than the trays so you can line the sides of the trays to keep the fruit from running off. (You don't need the paper if you already have tray-liners.) Set your temp to 135 degrees or lower. Pour it in pretty thick -- maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. Too much and it takes forever to dry -- too little and it cracks instead of being pliable.

I just did strawberry leather and used 1/2 strawberries and 1/2 applesauce. You can really use any combination of fruit. I also did a 50% applesauce, 40% old jar of peaches (this is how I rotate through my old jars) and 10% strawberries -- and it still had a nice strawberry taste. The #10 cans of applesauce are only $3.25 at Costco.

We love fruit leather. My three-year-old son calls it candy!

Here is a link:
http://iprepared.blogspot.com/2008/1...s-at-home.html

justy 05-11-2009 01:47 PM

You could also use wax paper. I've even heard of people using the bags that cereal comes in and cutting them to fit.

kyallee 05-11-2009 02:09 PM

If you're planning to make fruit leather often, can I recommend something reusable? I bought a 12" silicone microwave mat at Amazon (it was $6.39) and cut a hole in the middle to fit my dehydrator's tray. It's a good fit for my old Ronco, the fruit leather peels right off with no spray or anything needed, and since I do one tray at a time it's a snap to just rinse the liner before pouring out the next batch! And since it's silicone you don't need to worry about it melting or catching fire... ;)

bluebooks 05-11-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justy
You could also use wax paper. I've even heard of people using the bags that cereal comes in and cutting them to fit.

I tried it with wax paper. The fruit leather stuck to the wax paper and wouldn't come off. It was a disaster. I was using the car-method (see iprepared link above) so it may have been hotter than a dehydrator.

s275hv 05-11-2009 03:18 PM

Parchment

I like to use parchment paper. Then when I am done I cut it into fifths and roll the fruit leather up, viola! It has it's own wrapper. It has worked great for me. I don't remember if I sprayed it first with a touch of baking oil, but I think I may have.

cherrygirl 05-14-2009 06:49 PM

I love to make fruit leather but my kids don't love just the applesauce flavor. So I decided to buy the V8 Fusion 100% fruit/veggie juice and mix that in with the applesauce. It turns out AWESOME! I don't have exact measurements, but it is mostly the applesauce mixed in with what ever flavor you love best of the v8 Fusion. We love the peach mango flavor!

rodello 08-09-2009 07:57 PM

apricot fruit leather

I also do not like fruit leather made with applesauce. It has a different taste. I've grown up on apricot leather and my kids love it. In Utah, it seems people are trying to get "rid" of their apricots and it's a cheap and easy snack for kids. I use apricots, a little lemon juice and honey.

I bought special fruit leather trays (circular with a whole in the middle) and just spray them with pam. Then I cut the leather into 5 pieces and wrap it in wax paper after it is dry. I've tried saran wrap and it's not as easy to work with. I've also tried peach and pear leather. Pears don't require any type of sweetening like the aprictos. Pear leather is probably my favorite. We like to store our leather in the freezer and eat it cold and crunchy. Have fun!

Steff-M 08-10-2009 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=rodello]I also do not like fruit leather made with applesauce. It has a different taste. I've grown up on apricot leather and my kids love it. In Utah, it seems people are trying to get "rid" of their apricots and it's a cheap and easy snack for kids. I use apricots, a little lemon juice and honey.
QUOTE]
This is what I do too. Here are the directions I used... http://www.makeandtakes.com/strawberry-fruit-leather
I dried mine in a dehydrator and used saran wrap. It worked great and tastes so yummy!!

lardchar 08-10-2009 11:46 AM

I have never had success with my dehydrator, so I do it in the oven. My kids love them! Home made fruit roll-ups!
I just pour fruit mix onto a jelly roll pan lined with saran wrap. Bake for 4 hours on as low as your oven will go. My SIL does this but puts the pans on the tramp and covers with cheese cloth or netting. Great results.