Pinching Your Pennies Forums

Pinching Your Pennies Forums (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/index.php)
-   Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help! (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Any LDS activity day leaders? (http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69119)

Mom2Cole 08-05-2007 08:33 AM

Any LDS activity day leaders?

I just got called and am excited. I havent been given ANY instruction at all, is there a book or guideline we follow? How long does it usually last? DO you usually do yours during the day or evenings? What day do you hold yours on or does it vary according to the activity? How do you get word out? Do I have to call all the girls every time to remind them?
One Idea Ive been thinking about doing is a babysitting training class (since Im always on the look out for a good babysitter, might as well start grooming them!) I know that davis county offers a babysitting saftey type class, any ideas for how I could follow a similar program?

TIA
Sarah

29kym 08-05-2007 03:26 PM

Good Luck to you,this has been my calling for 2 1/2 years. There is NO manuel,you can use the faith in god as a guideline but your on your own.
They have done away with any sort of recognition for the girls in my area :nein: I dont know about yours.

Ours last 1 hour,yes I call the girls every time to remind them,it falls on the same day as your ward has the church for scouts and mutual.

You will have a budget and the babysitting kits are a good idea but expensive, our budget is $200 for the year,including food for the mother/daughter, and daddy/daughter.

There is a website with ideas you can join,you do have to register to join
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LDSActivityDays/
HTH Kym

Cruiser 08-06-2007 08:25 AM

Calling the girls

Since here in Utah we have a small area for our wards, I usually take around a BRIGHT colored reminder/ invitation and tape it to their front doors. For me, it's easier (and quicker) than calling (and talking to their moms for 20 min each!) LOL

I'm always looking for ideas. They need to do 2 activites in each category in the Fait In God book each year they are in Activity Days.... otherwise you're on your own.

Right now I need a "helper" - my other one moved in MAY and they haven't replaced her yet, so I need another mom to come each time we have it.

We meet on Friday afternoons at 3:00 at the church - because it's their "early out" day. It lasts for an hour.

madsenfam 08-06-2007 03:46 PM

I've done this for three months now and it's fun! The hardest part for me is getting the word out. I get half that come regularly and half that I hardly ever see. I know I need to work harder on activation, but I'm not sure what I can do.

We get together every 2nd and 4th Thursdays at my house for 45 min to an hour.

pnnypnchrfan 08-07-2007 09:52 AM

How we do it in our ward

I have been in Activity Days for a couple of years also. There is a website that has great ideas www.theideadoor.com. They have good ideas for activities, how to track each girls progress and such and info on how to run your program effectively. You can also go to www.ldschurch.org for more info on how to run the program too.

In the Faith in God book in the front is the requirements. You need to do 2 activities each a year in the following areas: Learning and Living the Gospel, Serving Others, Developing Talents, Preparing for young Womens. Then you have 1 activity required a year for each of the following: Pray Daily, Read Scriptures, living Gospel Standards, Honor parents, Pay tithing, Attend church meetings. They also are to memorize the articles of faith and pass them off. There are ideas in the book from each section to help you find activities to do but they aren't required. You can do your own as long as it is in accordance with what the section is asking for.

We have 2 meetings a month for 1 hour, some wards only do it once a month. We do it on Fridays when the kids are out of school early. Otherwise we cut into dinner time and homework time since they don't get out of school until 3:45. I also put flyers on their doors for a reminder, and we also meet at the church each activity.

You are supposed to have 2 award meetings a year to recognize the girls in their achievements. In our ward we have the 2 meetings, but we only do one awards meeting. In January we meet with the parents to discuss the program and how the parents can help their child meet the requirements and any questions they might have. This mainly is a program for the parents and the child and we are just to fill in acitivites to help. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. Then in September, we have an awards meeting and give out the achievements for the year. Most wards only have a meeting but we do a dinner and have the girls do all the decorating and preparing/serving the food. We only have a budget of $150 so we keep it simple and nice. Some wards do a mom & Daughter activity and then with dad which is good but not a requirement. We don't do those because we have many girls with only 1 parent. Plus it makes it easier on the budget.

I have folders that I give the girls when they come in that have a Faith in God book and 3 plastic sheets in it that holds baseball cards. Then if there is any handouts they can keep them in there and they also won't misplace their books. (which I find happens frequently). I color copied the front of the faith in God books and made it the size of 8x10, and glued it to the front so it's nice.

When we have our awards dinner, we give them cards the size of baseball cards that say what they have passed off. I have a card for every article of faith and then I have a card for Learning and Living the gospel, serving others etc (each card represents 2 activities.) Then they can put them in their folder to show what they have passed off. (so they know their efforts arent in vain) The church has done away with charms to earn so this is a great way to reward them and keep it within the guidelines. When they graduate and go into YW, we print off a certificate from the website I mentioned (They are really nice) and we have the Bishop and the primary president and all the Activity Day leaders sign it and then we laminate it and give it to the girls at the dinner.

This is just my understanding of the program. This is what my ward does. I know that my Sister In Laws ward does the same thing but in the 2 meetings a year they include the Faith in God Boys where we don't. Every ward is differnt and everyones interpretations are different. It all depends on how you want to run it.
HTH

tightwadmomof5 09-25-2009 10:47 AM

Here's what I've done recently, what are some other ideas that you have?

~sewed these felt pencil cases by hand
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...003d370a0aRCRD
~ an ice cream party where they got a topping for each article of faith they could tell me, and played life-size tic tac toe with Article of Faith questions
~swimming pary
~a month of photography instructions (not by me!) ending with taking pictures of the girls in front of the temple
~dodgeball at the church
~bike safety and a bike ride
~ Daddy/daughter hike and cookout

luckystars 09-25-2009 11:03 AM

Ours falls on a different day than mutual. It's a huge help that our leader calls every time! They've done things like go to the chapstick place to learn how to make it (have no idea where that is), daddy/daughter date (they took pictures at it with their dads and decorated frames for those pictures at another activity).

purplejenn 09-25-2009 11:29 AM

I only have the 11 year olds and I am only required to to the Preparing for Young Womens in the Faith in God Book. I add a lot of just fun stuff into the mix. By this age they just want to move onto YW and I need to keep their interest to keep them coming.
We meet at my house the 2nd and 4th Thursday for an hour. I only have a $92 budget for the year.
I assigned one girl to deliver reminders and bring a treat each AD. (you could do reminder calls on the morning of AD, before they go to school. My sons scouts does that.)
Do a search on here because I asked some questions when I was first put in and the other awesome PYPers had great ideas. I refer to it often.

AmyZC 09-25-2009 02:42 PM

I've been doing this for about four months. Our ward has three activity day groups that all meet Tuesday at 4:00 at the church. Our budget for all three groups combined (about 40 girls) is $20/year. My group e-mails most of the girls' moms and calls the two that don't have e-mail.

As far as planning, we try to take three months at a time (six activities) and plan an activity that goes in these categories:
1. Faith in God--we just randomly choose a section to focus on.
2. Physical fitness--play volleyball, frisbee golf, soccer, bike rides, etc.
3. Craft--the easier the better
4. Fun--our girls love to play board games so we've done that twice in the last four months.
5. Service--make stuff for nursery, clean up outside, make cookies for ward members, etc.
6. Anything you want. In July we made taffy and played pioneer games. In October we'll do something Halloween related.

None of this is set in stone, but it really helps in planning to have an outline, especially because it's so open-ended from the church.

lillie2100 09-26-2009 09:37 PM

I've done this for 3 years and LOVE it! AllI can say is sugardoodle.net! You will get awesome ideas! Plan 6 months at a time and give the girls a calander with little magnets on the back for their fridge and you'll get them to come. Good luck!