Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Religion

Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Penny Pincher

I am late on this, but I am so glad she didn't send that text. What a drama disaster that could have been! I agree she should have called a member of her presidency if she truly tried and couldn't find a sub.
In our last ward, we were having a very difficult time getting people to sign up for our primary sub list. One week, the bishopric counselor over primary went in to the relief society/eq meetings and gave a little spill on the importance of primary and being willing to serve, etc, and then proceeded to pass around a signup sheet. We got quite a few more names/numbers that way.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
I don't think that a teacher should only call parents. Just my opinion. We are all members of the ward and it is so helpful if we can call different people. Only calling parents does raise the frustration of finding a sub. Once I am not a parent of primary children, I would expect to still get calls to help in Primary.

I do know that many Primary Presidencies do tell teachers to call parents, so if this is the case in her ward, then she should contact the Presidency. I have only seen one counselor in a presidency ever sub, but I really respect her for stepping up in an emergency. I think that at times more presidency member should do this.

As someone who teaches often, I do not like the last minute combining of classes. Sometimes I am the sub and then suddenly I have the class that I prepared for and a whole other class also. I think if we really respect the time and effort a teacher puts in, we won't be asking them to suddenly cover another class of 9 kids. (Maybe I should have posted this last part under "Pet Peeves")
I really agree with this.

And while I know I'm late, and am glad to hear that things worked out for your friend, I just want to add this:

I would not mind subbing in Primary, and have told various members of the last 2 Primary Presidencies this, but I do not want to sub in my children's classes. They always call for me to cover my kids classes, but I'm just not willing to do so. I ask if there is another class that needs coverage, and I remind them that I'm happy to help with other classes, but they never call.

Honestly, as much as I love my kids, I appreciate the small break I get from them while they are in Primary. I hate the drama of "you didn't ask me to say the prayer" or whatever they come up with that day.

So yeah, while I think it's fine to ask the parents of the class to sub, here's my reason as to why I won't. Maybe I am selfish - but I just need a break from the drama queen's that my girls are.

I'm still willing to help, but the Primary Presidency has never asked.

Read about , our 2 , our baby and our , at Sunny-Daze
Old 10-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Penny Pincher

That kind of an email is really passive aggressive. Although, if truly no one is willing to volunteer, I don't have a problem with the primary president telling the parents that they will need to keep their children with them one sunday because no one is able to substitute. Or she could have the bishop tell them.

I hate filling in in primary. I feel like I've done my time there. That said, I subbed this past week (not for my kids classes), and am on the sub list. Sometimes we all have to do things we don't really love.

I had a busy week and didn't have time to plan a lesson, so I read over the lesson that morning, and we did fine. I know some people aren't able to wing it, but I guess I've been in primary enough that it's not a big deal.

The worst thing for me, is that my Mister and I already switch weeks that we get to attend SS and RS/PH, because our baby needs a nap and will not sleep in our arms, so one of us usually takes him home when he's had all he can take. Subbing meant I missed my week of SS/RS.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I honestly don't like subbing in primary and to be honest I've said no before. Dh is a fireman and works 48 hour shifts and sometimes with overtime can be gone for 96 hours (yep 4 days). I've said no to subbing before because honestly the only thing that got me TO church was knowing if we survived sacrament meeting (and we haven't always succeeded at this-I have some challenging little ones) then I'd get a 2 hour "break" where I could sit with grownup and talk to grownups and BE a grownup!

I've also said yes before-it just depends on the circumstances. I have taught Primary and understand how hard it is to get a sub, so I try to hep when I can, but honestly sometimes I just can't.
+
Old 10-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

I am so glad to hear all these responses that involve needing a break and not wanting to sub their own children's classes. I thought I was the only one.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I wouldn't sub in primary either (as a teacher), and I'm sure the teachers and presidency agree it wouldn't be a good idea. I do sub occasionally for the chorister or pianist and when I'm in there, my 5 year old, whom they have been working very hard with to get her to stay in her seat, thinks she needs to hug me every 3 minutes.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

I don't like it, but I'd never say no unless I weren't going to be there.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Also something to think about is that some people have things going on in their lives where they are not supposed to have a calling with kids. As rare as that may be (and not saying that is the case in OP's ward) I wouldn't want to get in a snit about a parent always saying "no" and then find out that he/she isn't allowed to sub. Taking a simple no for an answer is ok, instead of pushing for the "why" behind it.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysusi View Post
I wouldn't sub in primary either (as a teacher), and I'm sure the teachers and presidency agree it wouldn't be a good idea. I do sub occasionally for the chorister or pianist and when I'm in there, my 5 year old, whom they have been working very hard with to get her to stay in her seat, thinks she needs to hug me every 3 minutes.
LOL! Ha, yes! I hear ya!

And it's funny too - I sub frequently as the primary pianist... but I didn't even think of that. I guess that subbing position is no big deal to me. While I occasionally end up with one of my kids sharing the bench at me, at least I am spared most of the other drama!

Read about , our 2 , our baby and our , at Sunny-Daze
Old 11-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

I'd be much more willing to sub for my own child's class than another class.

Quote:
In our last ward, we were having a very difficult time getting people to sign up for our primary sub list. One week, the bishopric counselor over primary went in to the relief society/eq meetings and gave a little spill on the importance of primary and being willing to serve, etc, and then proceeded to pass around a signup sheet. We got quite a few more names/numbers that way.
I sub. I'm mostly called to classes that are not my children's because I've said yes to those teachers before. I hate it. I try to do it well because I want things to go well in my children's classes. I'd never put my name to a sub list because I don't want to be the person called in every single week.

Three times now I have been in a brand new ward and was called right off the bat into primary before I'd really met anyone. The last time the bishopric counselor said something about accepting this calling because Jesus loved the children. Ticked me off because I felt manipulated, even though I knew he wasn't trying to do that.