Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > California's (South) Screaming Deals

Old 12-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Default New to SoCal - good shopping places?

Ok, so we moved to Moorpark (near Thousand Oaks) a month ago from Utah. I am beginning to feel my lack of local knowledge!
We have pretty much every grocery store in town. I know where Costco is. I know about the Valley Produce Market in Simi Valley. And I know about The Oaks shopping mall. Oh, and I also know about Simi Town Center shopping area as well.
But, where are the must know about stores for the area? If you are familiar with Utah at all I would love to know about stores like TaiPan (yes, I know there is one in Rancho Cucamonga and I will be going there every once in awhile but it isn't very close) and Orson Gygi.
Any great shopping tips? Any stores that I must know about and go check out? Is there a great thrift store or two around?
Thanks!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Just came back from that area. Salvation Army in fountain Valley is awesome!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Thanks! If I ever get down that far (without the family) I'll have to check it out.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

One of my favorite things to do when I visit my parents in Cali is to shop in the fashion district in Los Angeles. Definatley, bring a friend with you and leave the little ones home. It is streets and streets of clothing, fabric, craft supplies, luggage, purses and more. Some vendors will barter, it is so much fun
I also like the 99 cent store. Most stuff is garbage but last night I went in with my mom and found cute leg warmers.
Have you been to Superior Market? Their prices seem to be pretty low. Good Luck! I grew up in So Cal, it is a fun place!