Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Sewing

Old 02-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Need a good beginning sewing blog/tutorials

I have decided to use my sewing machine that I bought myself a year ago, but I know nothing about sewing. The only thing I ever sewed my mom had to completely pick apart....that is how beginner I am. If you know of a good site that has beginning tutorials, I would love to hear them.
Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM

I would find a tutorial for something you want to make--something that looks pretty basic and go for it. Most of the online tuturials are very detailed and give you all the information you need with pictures included. If there is something you don't know how to do from the instructions there, then I would google what you don't understand. There will be lots of youtube videos you can watch on most every subject.

Good luck! What types of things are you interested in sewing and maybe someone can lead you to a good place to start?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Penny Pincher

http://www.makeit-loveit.com She is always making fun things! She has tons of free patterns and tutorials. She also has a few for sale, but I have never needed to use them, I have been tempted though.

This is where I would start.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:32 AM

Thank you! Honestly I am not even sure where to start. I think I might make a pillowcase. They seem to be pretty basic, but I am horrible at crafty things. The videos would probably be good for me. I am much better if I can see something done first.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Penny Pincher

If you are making a pillowcase, I would suggest looking up "Making a Sausage Pillowcase with Judy" on you tube. It is a great video, and the pillow caases look so fabulous when they are made like this.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Penny Pincher

I was going to suggest a pillowcase as well. After making several small cases for the travel size pillow, I found that the accent strip of fabric tended to not stay in place (it wanted to lay the wrong direction) after washing them, so when I made a full size case I stitched the accent strip of fabric down. You would do this after you have stitched and turned your "sausage", (before you stitch up the side and end), while the case is still a flat piece of fabric. I even think it makes the case looks professionally finished. This way of making a pillowcase is really easy and fast. Give it a try and good luck!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Check out these table runners - SO easy! Love these girls!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfg8B...ature=youtu.be

or the pillowcases:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VorwW...&feature=share
Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 PM

Missouri Star Quilting company has some great tutorials and I get so much inspiration watching them...

http://tutorials.missouriquiltco.com/