Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Religion

Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Okay then...

What happens if you can't pay the $400 a month? I am assuming they still get to go, but is that a factor of where they get to go? Or what does the church as you to do?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplejenn View Post
Okay then...

What happens if you can't pay the $400 a month? I am assuming they still get to go, but is that a factor of where they get to go? Or what does the church as you to do?
I'm sure they still get to go and I don't think it affects where they are sent either. From what I understand the church expects that we sacrifice what we can to make the payments and if we are short, the fast offerings from the ward members help to fund the rest. I have been told by some that their family was asked to do more service during the time their missionary was out when the church was funding it, BUT don't take that as fact. That's just what someone told me once. It basically works out to be around 9600 dollars for a mission (not including supplies, extra spending money, and care packages). I have lots of boys, so it's something I've pondered many times. I don't know if all of mine will decide to go but if they do I figure I better have a big chunk of money saved.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4crazyboyz View Post
I'm sure they still get to go and I don't think it affects where they are sent either. From what I understand the church expects that we sacrifice what we can to make the payments and if we are short, the fast offerings from the ward members help to fund the rest. I have been told by some that their family was asked to do more service during the time their missionary was out when the church was funding it, BUT don't take that as fact. That's just what someone told me once. It basically works out to be around 9600 dollars for a mission (not including supplies, extra spending money, and care packages). I have lots of boys, so it's something I've pondered many times. I don't know if all of mine will decide to go but if they do I figure I better have a big chunk of money saved.
I guess the positive side is my boys are 8 years apart. I can save for the second if he decides to go, but if my oldest goes he would be putting his papers in anytime now. He can't decide. WOW! Now to do some serious pondering as to where money would come from. That kinda freaks me out.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplejenn View Post
I guess the positive side is my boys are 8 years apart. I can save for the second if he decides to go, but if my oldest goes he would be putting his papers in anytime now. He can't decide. WOW! Now to do some serious pondering as to where money would come from. That kinda freaks me out.
Ha ha you and me both. If all of my boys go I'll need over 38,000, provided the policies and amounts don't change over time. Yikes! I like thinking of it as 400 a month much better
Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Master Penny Pincher

For those of you still with young children, encourage them work and start saving for their own mission now. My missionary put away 70% of his earnings towards his mission and he was able to pay for it. My younger DS's are doing the same. The added bonus is when you work hard towards something for years, you tend to value it a little more.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by approval View Post
For those of you still with young children, encourage them work and start saving for their own mission now. My missionary put away 70% of his earnings towards his mission and he was able to pay for it. My younger DS's are doing the same. The added bonus is when you work hard towards something for years, you tend to value it a little more.
I agree with this. Now I just need to find a way for them to earn their own moola I would like for each of them to save half, but of course I won't make it a requirement.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4crazyboyz View Post
Lots of great info here. The only thing I would add is to maybe start putting away the 400 (I think that's what it is) a month now, just in case you run into hard times etc. That way you'll be 6 mos ahead and used to putting the money aside (unless of course you or your son already have it all saved up)
What a great idea! My boys overlap so we'll have several months with double payments. We are encouraging them to save their own money, but I'd like to pay for as much of it as possible.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Prepare and plan ahead the best you can financially, but NEVER let money be a deciding factor for missionary service.

I am a single mother and for some reason I was blessed with peace of mind years before my son was missionary age, that his mission finances would all work out somehow. We had always had a mission fund that we saved for since he was a baby, and he worked really hard and had enough money saved to pay for half of his mission before he left. The plan was that each month I would pull $200 from his mission account and that I would come up with the other $200 from somewhere.

We had so many people contribute anonymously towards his mission that I never had to pull one penny from his mission account -- the entire account was still intact to pay for schooling when he got home. In addition, I only needed to pay for just a few months. My bishop kept calling me and saying "don't pay any money this month, his mission is paid for 3 (or 4 or 5) months ahead."

When all was said and done, his mission was completely paid for, done, 6 months before he came home, and he still had everything he had saved. I truly believe that if we prepare as if it all depends on us, that ways are opened up to make up the difference where we fall short.

Good luck and enjoy this wonderful time! I so miss having a missionary!