Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Travel

Old 03-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Anyone been to Hilton Head SC?

We are going to be there the first week in April. We are meeting my son and his family there so we will have kids 6 mo to 9 yrs plus all my other kids. What are some fun things to do? We found out snorkeling isn't good there and that is something my family loves to do. Also, what are some good family restaurants? My son, who was planning to get married in May has decided to get married there since the whole family will be together for the first time in 2 years so we wanted to do a wedding breakfast at a family restaurant where we aren't on pins and needles watching the grandkids.

TIA
Old 03-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Where will you be staying and on any particular plantation?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Master Penny Pincher

We rented a house through VRBO in the Folly Field beach area.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Penny Pincher

We went in October for 9 days. I am not sure what the weather differences will be for April, it was great when we were there. We took a boat to Dafuskie Island and rented a golf cart. We got 'free' passes by listening to a timeshare presentation, but it was totally worth it. It was a really cool place with great beaches that no one was on. It was fun to explore the island on the golf cart. Also we took a zodiac raft to see the dolphins. It was amazing. I would highly recommend that if it is the right season for it. Also Savannah is a great place to tour. We took one of the trolley tours and it very interesting. Mrs. Wilkes dining room is a must try. Our favorite Hilton Head restaurant was the Sea Shack. Don't let the outside fool you. The best and freshest seafood around. We enjoyed the Mellow Mushroom for pizza. There was a fun pirate mini golf place. The beaches are great for riding bikes and searching tide pools. My kids had the best time with the tidepools and finding sanddollars and starfish. So much to do. It is a great place.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Penny Pincher

One thing you could do is to check restaurant.com for some dining certificates. We were able to purchase those in advance and get some good deals. Try the Salty Dog cafe. That is a fun family restaurant. Skillets for breakfast.