Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Perfect!! Thank You!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommasue View Post
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/
This is an excellent site to go to for all those cleaning questions and lots of fun stuff. I love her site. HTH
Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Mommasue;
I checked out her site last night! Loved it! Subscribed to her email....got one this morning.....I'm in love with her ideas! Every single one of her ideas today I would/could use/do. I'm so excited to have this. Thanks for your help!
Quote:
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/
This is an excellent site to go to for all those cleaning questions and lots of fun stuff. I love her site. HTH
Old 03-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsavinmoney View Post
I don't have pinterest! I don't have facebook either! I'm behind times....however why I don't have either one of those is another story!

I would love to see what YOUR favorites are. Would you mind posting your recipes? Just your favorites is all! !hank you so much!!!

I do have a friend that has Pinterest that is interested in homemade cleaning supplies. Could you PM me your info and I can pass it onto her?

Thank you!
Sorry! I got side tracked and haved checked back. I will PM you, with my favorite recipes!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsavinmoney View Post
I am interested in making homemade cleaning supplies. I was wondering if any of you have found a "catch all" type of website that covers all homemade cleaning supplies and such? A website that comes highly recommended?
Thanks!
There were a bunch of cleaning supply recipes in the March All You magazine.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

My SIL had a repairman tell her this that the borax in homemade soap wears out the parts in a washing machine, I think he was talking specifically about front loaders (although I don't know why it wouldn't pertain to all types of washing machines). Has anyone heard that?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I just took a look at what was on the website. Thanks for letting me know about that site.
I also ended up reading some of the comments that were on that site from the "make your own cleaning solutions".... and I know that making your own stuff is definitely not for everyone....a lot of people did not catch the "bug" of doing it, they didn't feel that it wa, but boy after reading those....it's really not for everyone.....some really feel that it's not worth their time w/ money or for the degree that it works. Oh well....to each their own. I'm not sure what is going to come about w/ my switching to making cleaning and beauty products, but I do know that for right now I am enjoying it and I am learning a lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine View Post
There were a bunch of cleaning supply recipes in the March All You magazine.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Sorry that I don't have a good response for you on your question.

I'm not sure how they are built and why they would have that different of
parts in it that it would get worn out before a regular washer would.

I do know that it is asked over and over and over if homemade laundry detergent is safe, and before HE front loaders haven't been around for too long....no one really has a good answer other than "well, I've been using it for years and I've never had a problem, so it must be safe."

I just know it's a common question, but I haven't heard a professional explanation on it. Hopefully someone can elaborate on that for us.

Quote:
My SIL had a repairman tell her this that the borax in homemade soap wears out the parts in a washing machine, I think he was talking specifically about front loaders (although I don't know why it wouldn't pertain to all types of washing machines). Has anyone heard that?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I need an update on DIY laundry soap. I've made the No-grate "Jillee" laundry soap and one batch of dry. I liked the laundry soap until I washed some workout clothes of my husbands. They still smelled awful. I'm now rewashing with the powdered soap to see if it's any better. Have any of you found a good solution to this problem? Jillee recommends adding Downy Unstoppables to your DIY soap. Anyone?

I found this recipe and am considering it. It has extra washing soda and added vinegar. (Or should I just go buy something I know works?)

INGREDIENTS
1 bar of soap (I use Ivory)
1 cup Borax
2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1 cup White Vinegar
2 gallon pot
funnel
storage container(s)

HOW TO
1. grate soap into pot
2. fill 1 gallon jug with water and pour into pot with soap. Cook until soap dissolves
3. Add Borax and Washing Soda
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Turn off heat. Add another 1 gallon of cold water and the white vinegar. Stir well. It will coagulate
6. pour into container(s)