Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Religion

Old 04-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelC View Post
I think that if the parents will not come to scout camp, the camp should be canceled. It is your husband's job to make sure the program is operating, not to make sure the boys complete everything. One person cannot carry the program.
Is our ward just weird then? We were told that they didn't allow parents to attend because the boys need time on their own to become independent. Perhaps it's because they attend BSA organized camps and only need a few leaders there. They've only had 1 campout where fathers were invited in the last 2 years.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Originally Posted by tack
'Unfortunately, many scouters will not allow more than one weeklong campout to go towards their nights camping." Quote

"It's a BSA rule. I had no idea that we even needed to keep track. I feel like my ds needs to start over because we haven't documented all of the campouts he's attended." Quote

Actually, the camping merit badge states, "Show experience in camping by doing the following:

a. Camp a total of at least 20 days and 20 nights. Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched. The 20 days and 20 nights must be at a designated Scouting activity or event. You may use a week of long-term camp toward this requirement.

Some leaders read . . . You may use a week long and other leaders read . . . You may use A (meaning only one) weeklong. I think that if the meaning was only one weeklong may be counted that it would be written using those specific words. It is interpreted differently usually because of tradition, rather than familiarity with the requirement.

Hopefully someone will have documented your son's campouts, if not I know that my husband can generally name each boy that is on each campout from memory.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleh View Post
Is our ward just weird then? We were told that they didn't allow parents to attend because the boys need time on their own to become independent. Perhaps it's because they attend BSA organized camps and only need a few leaders there. They've only had 1 campout where fathers were invited in the last 2 years.
Wow! I definitely would not allow my son to go on a campout that parents were told they couldn't come on. In our day and age that is a red flag IMO. The BSA should want as many dads as possible to come to help avoid any inappropriate situations. I have enough misgivings with all of the lost scout troops in Utah and past allegations against leaders nationwide.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissen View Post
Wow! I definitely would not allow my son to go on a campout that parents were told they couldn't come on. In our day and age that is a red flag IMO. The BSA should want as many dads as possible to come to help avoid any inappropriate situations. I have enough misgivings with all of the lost scout troops in Utah and past allegations against leaders nationwide.
I felt the same way when I read that post.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleh View Post
That is, I'm sorry, bull crap...it is NOT the role of this organization (nor the church!) to 'force' independence on boys - and if they are barring parents? Huge red flag. My son will only have involvement in scouts a) if he really REALLY wants (I'm not a fan of scouts / church co-mingling and will never encourage scouts) and b) his father is there for all overnight trips. Period. Non-negotiable. I really have zero trust in the scouting program. Thankfully, I have an Eagle scout husband who agrees, which will make it much easier.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
I think that if the parents will not come to scout camp, the camp should be canceled.
I agree with this too. Both my boys LOVE scouts and while DH hasn't gone on every camp, he's gone on most of them with my older boy, my younger one doesn't have camps yet. Our good friend was scoutmaster before my boys were in scouts and had the same problem with dad's not wanting to go. DH decided then and there that he would offer to go on as many camps as possible.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

My dh was scoutmaster in our old ward. He didn't go on all the camp outs, but he tried to go on as many of them as possible. He simply couldn't make them all. And he only went to scout camp for part of the week. The ym leaders all split the responsibility, and he had more time off than others so he took more time off for scout camp. He was always asked if it would work. We had 2 boys in the program too. He was lucky enough to have an assistant scoutmaster to share in duties as we had 22 deacons in our ward. In our new ward, there are less than 20 young men total, and they still have all the leaders share the load. And when they needed more adults or rides, they put it out to the ward. And together things always came together. But even before he had an assistant the counselors always pitched in.

In our ward now, it is very small. And the 2 callings are separate. About half of us have 2 callings and those 2 are still not together. They are careful to spread the work around and not overwork anyone.

I think because of our small numbers people step up and volunteer more often.

He needs to rely more on parents and the ward to pitch in and help out. And he could make the boys do the calling around. Then he only needs to make 1 call (to who was assigned to do the calling).
Old 04-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetmom View Post
That is, I'm sorry, bull crap...it is NOT the role of this organization (nor the church!) to 'force' independence on boys - and if they are barring parents? Huge red flag. My son will only have involvement in scouts a) if he really REALLY wants (I'm not a fan of scouts / church co-mingling and will never encourage scouts) and b) his father is there for all overnight trips. Period. Non-negotiable. I really have zero trust in the scouting program. Thankfully, I have an Eagle scout husband who agrees, which will make it much easier.
A guy I once worked with told me about a scout leader they had who did things to the boys. He said it ended with someone jostling him into an ice-cold lake and a few boys standing at the edges, kicking him back into the water every time he tried to get out. I'll always wonder if that story is true.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I just finished page 1 of this....so I may have further comments, but to the OP, while my ex didnt deal with this nor my DH, my kids uncle (former BIL) DID do scouts and while it took up a great deal of his time, I called and asked former SIL (still one of my dear friends) and told her the situation.

Her DH was an assistant to the scouts until their oldest son got into high school, then when oldest son was in 10th grade and next son about to enter 9th grade he got called up to scout leader. As older son was going for his eagle scout not a huge deal, but the one statement he made to his bishop was he would do it for a certain time (given the guy was working a full time job AND had his own business doing lawn care/snow removal assisted by his sons) and if he didnt get any help then he would have to step down. The bishop started in about how God had called him and all that and BIL told his bishop that was well and good and he understood THAT part---he didnt understand how other parents took the weekends they did camping trips as a chance to go to Wendover or such, shirking their other parenting duties to the kids at home just because HE, the scout leader, had X number of sons on a camping trip.

I dont know if him being firm (but polite) had some magical effect....but he only had one camping trip where he had to turn dads away. But then he is also well known (and liked) in his community, as is his own father (and now SIL's mom and dad live in the same community too LOL) but it worked.

BTW BIL's favorite camping trip was the one in the winter where it was a night of toughing it out in the cold. His own sons were use to hunting trips so they took it in stride---but he said it was amazing how many whineys there were, and not necessarily the boys
Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
I should not admit this because I am now a den mother, but I am not a fan of scouts. It makes it hard to keep up with FIG and it seems like the boys take a huge portion of the budget to have fun while the girls have a more spiritual focus. Yes, part of it is sour grapes. I remember the boys going river rafting while we girls had a chastity lesson.
**page 2.....**

OH I would be thoroughly ticked at this!!! I guess its one reason that I prefer the school sponsored, or independently sponsored Girl Scout troops, because there is no religious affliation (I could rant about that factor alone for awhile...and I have no issues with any church in particular) therefore the girls all get a relatively clear shot at doing whatever their troop wants to do. If I knew my brother was going river rafting while I learned about abstaining until I was married I would probably be livid. I am not saying the later has its place, because IMHO it does, but really it should be fairly equal ground