Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Old 04-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Who would you talk to?

My son just informed me that he and his friend looked at the expiration date on the milk in his friend's school lunch yesterday. It said February. I have an email drafted to the principal. Is that who you would contact? Or do you think the health department should be informed?

My older kids take home lunch (for so very many reasons already) but my dd is in kindergarten and gets milk as part of her snack twice a week.

What would you do? And what would you say?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

I work at an elementary school and part of my job is the lunch money, etc. So, for my school, I would do two things: one, talk to the teacher and ask if your son can bring his milk carton home (maybe provide a plastic bag), then you can see the expiration dates for yourself. And two, I would send contact the principal and the district food services director.

The principal has no say in what is sent to your school, but the principal can have the school staff look more closely at the dates and then they will know not to serve expired milk. Also, if they know a parent is concerned, and if they are doing their jobs, they will work to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The district food services director should then be able to contact their milk supplier and be able to make sure they aren't delivered expired milk.

Another thing to consider, some companies are switching their dating system to the day/month/year, instead of what we are used to seeing which is month/day/ year. So the date could have been the 2nd day of _____. Does that make sense?

I'm sorry this happened to you. Good luck!