Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Travel

Old 04-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default Lava Hot Springs Camping questions?

Has anyone stayed at the KOA's by Lava Hot Springs?

Where would you recommend for a campground (tent) accommodations with shower/toilet/electricity/water?

We use to camp there all the time when I was a child, but can't remember much and I am sure lots has changed in those many, many years. I have looked online, but would prefer others opinions vs. the online sites only.

TIA
Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

We have stayed at the KOA in Lava and it is not too bad. They sure can pack them in there though and you will hear the trains so bring ear plugs. We always try to get tent sites T1 or T2 - they are a little more secluded, but they are really close to the river which with little ones can be scary.

The bathroom on the north end is brand new and super nice. There are 6 or 7 individual rooms with toilet and shower. Near the new bathroom is sort of a mini kitchen with grill and water for cooking. We didn't use it so I am not sure if you have to schedule it or something. I believe there is water at the sites, but I don't remember having electricity.

I personally will never stay at the River's Edge Campground again (that is the one right across the river from the pool). It has been 8 years ago, but the bathrooms were nasty. We also had some drunk neighbors get into a fight and fall on our tent! I know that is not the campgrounds fault, but I haven't ever had those issues at the KOA.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanae View Post
We have stayed at the KOA in Lava and it is not too bad. They sure can pack them in there though and you will hear the trains so bring ear plugs. We always try to get tent sites T1 or T2 - they are a little more secluded, but they are really close to the river which with little ones can be scary.

The bathroom on the north end is brand new and super nice. There are 6 or 7 individual rooms with toilet and shower. Near the new bathroom is sort of a mini kitchen with grill and water for cooking. We didn't use it so I am not sure if you have to schedule it or something. I believe there is water at the sites, but I don't remember having electricity.

I personally will never stay at the River's Edge Campground again (that is the one right across the river from the pool). It has been 8 years ago, but the bathrooms were nasty. We also had some drunk neighbors get into a fight and fall on our tent! I know that is not the campgrounds fault, but I haven't ever had those issues at the KOA.
That is great information!!! Very specific!!! I like that! Thanks!

I get the pleasure of making reservations for my DS and 5 other friends for sometime in June. I just want to make sure they are safe and in a good spot. And they have never been before. Eeekkk!!!

Do you know how busy it usually is in June?

Any other helpful information? From you or other PYP'ers out there?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplejenn View Post
That is great information!!! Very specific!!! I like that! Thanks!

I get the pleasure of making reservations for my DS and 5 other friends for sometime in June. I just want to make sure they are safe and in a good spot. And they have never been before. Eeekkk!!!

Do you know how busy it usually is in June?

Any other helpful information? From you or other PYP'ers out there?
I know those two tent sites I mentioned get taken quickly so if you want those you should book soon. The last time we went was mid July and the campground was full. We had made our reservations in May. HTHs.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

We camp at the KOA there a few times a year! We love it. It's pretty family oriented.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default Hi Ladies!

I am an owner of the Lava Hot Springs KOA, and a friend of mine let me know there was a conversation here about us I just wanted to invite you all to come and stay with us this summer! We have activities for kids and it is an affordable way to vacation.
If you call & mention this pinching your pennies thread, I'll even knock some pennies off your stay with us! (10 %).
Thanks so much,
Tiffany
208-776-5295

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaKOA View Post
If you call & mention this pinching your pennies thread, I'll even knock some pennies off your stay with us! (10 %).
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
I am an owner of the Lava Hot Springs KOA, and a friend of mine let me know there was a conversation here about us I just wanted to invite you all to come and stay with us this summer! We have activities for kids and it is an affordable way to vacation.
Thanks so much,
Tiffany
208-776-5295

Whoohoo!!! Thank you! I will be calling you!!! I hope you have openings.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Thanks so much,
Tiffany
208-776-5295

Thanks Tiffany!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Quote:
Thanks so much,
Tiffany
208-776-5295

We haven't stayed at any KOA with our family before. What kind of activities do you offer? Is there an additional cost? Also, I was messing around with dates and adults/children/pets to see the pricing difference, and I can't quite understand it for the different tent sites? Could you explain how much everything is? Could we also save 10%?

Also, is Lava Hot Springs right there, or do you have to drive to get there? Does it cost to get in there as well?

THANKS!