Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Pancreatic cancer.Any advice?

These last 2 weeks have just been the worst between work and my dd and now this morning I found out my dad's primary DR. called my mom this morning to tell her he has pancreatic cancer.They made an appointment for this afternoon w/ the cancer doctors. The cancer doctor said he has a very large mass but they are not sure it's cancerous.they are letting us know on monday wether or not they will be doing surgery on it this coming week. He is in alot of pain and has no energy can't eat anyting,and has lost about 17lbs .This has only been in the last two weeks. I don't know anything about pancreatic cancer and don't know what I should be askiing the doctors(I go with my parents to the appointments as translator) so i feel responsible to get the best treatment and info for him that I can.Anyone here have any advice??
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

My FIL was diagnosed last fall with the same cancer. At first it was really scary because the first prognosis they gave him was that he would only have 6 months to live. However, the day he left the hospital after having surgery, the doctor came in with some happier news. The way I remember it being explained is that there's 2 sides of the pancreas that cancer can hit. The one side is more harsh to have cancer in, that's the side they first thought my FIL had his in. But as I said, they had happier news, and they found that it's in the other side, and although it is not curable, it is treatable and he is now being told that he can expect to live at least 10 years. DH told me that Steve Jobs just died from the same cancer his dad has, and he lived for like 8-10 years. It's sad to know there's an end in sight, and to know how it will most likely happen. I don't like the idea of him getting so sick down the road, but for now he's doing really well. If you knew him and didn't know he had the cancer, you'd never guess. He's been getting some sort of shot since his diagnosis, and it puts him down for a couple days, but he doesn't throw up, lose his hair, or anything like that.
I hope that helps a little bit. Sorry your family is facing this. I hope everything turns out ok.

I my family!!!
.............. ......... ...... ............
married 14 yrs., boy 14 yrs., girl 10 yrs., girl 7 yrs., girl 5 yrs.
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

My grandmother died of pancreatic cancer several years ago. She was well into her 80's and she lived a lot longer than anyone thought she would. I believe she made it past a year from her diagnosis.

It's a rough disease. {{{{{hugs}}}}} to you and your family.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Master Penny Pincher

delete
Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I am very sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis. My ex-husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over the Christmas holidays. His is inoperable; it has been a rough road.

This is a great article by Sue Carroll, who was a reporter for the London Mirror; she died Dec. 27, 2011. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...fight---177116

Your family is my my prayers.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I don't know much about pancreatic cancer but when my mom had cancer, we went to Huntsman and I love that place. I don't know where your dad's doc is, but the docs up there are sooo good, I would recommend seeing someone up there if at all possible!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Master Penny Pincher

spent 9 hrs at the hospital today.Started off with a PET scan and then saw 2 surgeons.One of which has now informed us that he also has lung cancer.The pancreatic mass is HUGE takes up 3/4 of his pancreas and is inoperable but they are going to try chemo.They are putting the lung cancer on the back burner for now.But they MIGHT take biopsies of the lymph nodes when they do the biopsy of the pancreas mass .

Has anyone had any experience with nanoknife procedure on someone that was previously told they were inoperable?? Read great remarks about online but I couldn't find any info on any of my area hospitals using the procedure.I asked the DR. and she just shook her head and so no,it's too large but I would like to make certain.......
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Master Penny Pincher

My step father passed away from pancreatic cancer 2 years ago. It's rough. Try to enjoy the time you have with him. Take lots of pictures even if he doesn't feel up to it. ((HUGS))