Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Windows phone vs iphone vs android

Ok so i am due for a new phone I was thinking about upgrading to one of them smarter than me phones. From playing with things in the store i was realy drawn to the windows phone it acutaly made sence and i could find things ect. But hubby and everone elce says that i will be disapointed and should go to an iphone please i need help from the smart woman i need a first hand user point of view PLEASE!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Everyone I know that has an iphone loves it. We can't afford that data plan so we have android phones. We're not really into technology so we don't care that ours aren't the newest and fanciest. We get to access games and surf the web and we've been happy with ours. We also don't use ipods or do a lot with itunes so that wasn't a draw for us but I know it is for some people.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

We have Droid phones. I love it! The one big difference I have noticed between the droid and the iphone is that apple charges for a lot more apps then google does. I have lots, and lots of apps and I have never paid for one of them. So, if you are going to be using apps, I would calculate that into the cost of the phone. Just my two cents.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I have been very happy with my Android phone. It is Google based which is nice because it links easily with my Gmail contacts, emails, etc.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I have an Android phone for about 2 years now, and just recently upgraded to another Android phone. I was debating between staying with the Droid or switching to an iPhone.

One thing that made a difference for me is that many of the Android phones can use the 4G network which results in faster service for things like surfing the web. iPhones do not have that capability yet.

Another thing I like about the Android's is that they have a mini SD slot so it's easy to get more memory. iPhones don't. You have to buy the phone that has the memory that you think you will want.

I was really tempted to get an iPhone because two of my kids have an iTouch and we thought it would be fun to share apps with them, etc. Buy once, everyone can use it. My kids have found a lot of great (fun) apps that are free for the iPhone. In fact, they have far more free ones than paid ones. But I've been told if you are looking for something more than "fun" - Android has a better selection of free ones. Don't know whether that's really true or not. But I haven't paid for any apps for my Android yet.

I think you will catch on to whatever phone you get fairly easily... unless you get a Blackberry. Those things drive me nuts. I think you will have better app choices if you go with an iPhone or an Android. I, personally, wouldn't get a Windows phone. Even though that's what I'm used to on my computer, etc.

I ended up with a RAZR and am very happy with it. I think a RAZR MAXX would be better because of the longer battery life (I've been a bit app happy lately), but it just wasn't worth the extra money. The RAZR was expensive enough! But I love it.

Good luck in your decision.

Read about , our 2 , our baby and our , at Sunny-Daze
Old 05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Master Penny Pincher

The only issue I have with Andriod is the app vetting process. I don't think it is as thorough as Apple's.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

When it was my turn to upgrade I tried a Window phone first. While I adjusted to the use of it- like you said it was pretty easy to figure out- as I tried to add apps I was VERY disappointed. If you don't care about apps this might not be a big deal to you. The app store was VERY limited in my view- I'm not a heavy app user but couldn't even get basic ones that I wanted- AND in my opinion the store was full of TRASHY apps. No matter where I looked there were always TRASHY apps on the screen. I did not want my kids to accidently stumble into one of those while looking for a coloring game. Sheesh- I didn't want to be looking at them every time I searched for an app. Now don't get me wrong, those kind of apps are available on every phone but this was extremely excessive, and not at all limited to the adult areas. So, I ended up returning the phone for that reason. The store was limited and full of trash.

I did end up going with an Adroid because I wanted more storage space than the free iPhone offered. I have liked it. It's taken more learning just because we have an iTouch and so I was used to the Apple setup. I do think the iPhone is a little more user friendly- the store, the music, apps- but I have liked my Android so far I've just got to educate myself about it a little more. Good luck making the choice. My mom got the free iPhone and LOVES it and wants to upgrade to the iPhone 4S ASAP. My grandparents just got the iPhone 4S and are learning all it's in's and out's. If the iPhone would have had more memory I would have gone with that, no question. BUT- my android does have a BIG screen- much bigger than the iPhone.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Love my Android!!!

Tried iphones and the Android was WAY better, IMO.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Master Penny Pincher

[QUOTE=kanga5;1152202]When it was my turn to upgrade I tried a Window phone first. While I adjusted to the use of it- like you said it was pretty easy to figure out- as I tried to add apps I was VERY disappointed. If you don't care about apps this might not be a big deal to you. The app store was VERY limited in my view- I'm not a heavy app user but couldn't even get basic ones that I wanted- AND in my opinion the store was full of TRASHY apps. No matter where I looked there were always TRASHY apps on the screen. I did not want my kids to accidently stumble into one of those while looking for a coloring game. Sheesh- I didn't want to be looking at them every time I searched for an app. Now don't get me wrong, those kind of apps are available on every phone but this was extremely excessive, and not at all limited to the adult areas. So, I ended up returning the phone for that reason. The store was limited and full of trash.

I did end up going with an Adroid because I wanted more storage space than the free

when you go into the windows stor do you need a pasword to dowload things?

i am down to the windows and i phone. none of the droid pbones spoke to me lol.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Type of phone and service will make a difference in your overall experience. Between my husband and I we have used over 8 smart phones on 3 different networks. We had a windows phone on sprint, phone was awesome but sprint service was slow and didn't work well in our area so after several calls with sprint cs we canceled our contract and sold the phone. We did not like any android phones, we tried the popular ones and they are fine at first but for overall use they are inconvenient and slow, plus awful battery life.

Get the iPhone if you can. At&t has pretty good 4G and is the fastest for data use by far. I know many window phones have lag, that gets super annoying. The iPhone has none. We have upgraded to each iPhone and it's always the main phone. It does everything. Apple store has strict standards so you won't find a ton of trashy apps. But get it at wal mart, you'll save $75 on it there.