Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Penny Pincher

Default Home Building advice--McArthur, Salisbury, Perry?

We are looking to build a home and we are looking into mainly McArthur and Salisbury, but a little into Perry homes as well. Has anyone built with any of these builders or know someone personally that has? Do you/they love your house? Are they quality builders? We are looking into the Lehi area. Thanks so much!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetocook View Post
We are looking to build a home and we are looking into mainly McArthur and Salisbury, but a little into Perry homes as well. Has anyone built with any of these builders or know someone personally that has? Do you/they love your house? Are they quality builders? We are looking into the Lehi area. Thanks so much!
My dad was a building inspector and he did not have anything good to say about Salisbury. They are a cheap builder. I would go with Perry. They build pretty good homes. Not sure about McArthur. I think they are kind of between the two. My realtor (who is a family friend we have known for decades) will not encourage his clients to buy with Salisbury at all.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

I built with Perry, we had a great experience.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Our home is Salisbury. They have had a bad reputation. But, they are better than they used to be - including better floor plans and more choices. You can get a lot of house for the money, but it will have fewer choices than with other builders. We checked the house about every third day while it was being built to make sure they didn't cut any corners. We also got our own appliances and carpet. We've been happy with that decision as we've watched our neighbors all replace their appliances (but we still have our originals).

We've been in our home 10 years now. My biggest long-term complaint is the spacing of the floor joists (24" instead of 16"). Our home should have been 16" but we didn't catch it until it was too late. My other complaint is the stucco. They put it on in the rain and had to reapply it. They put on a second coat which has cracked badly on the north side of our home. You just have to watch for stuff like that. Some of our neighbors are second and third time Salisbury buyers and they have been happy enough to use them again. We honestly couldn't have afforded to build with anyone else. We have 3000 square feet. We love our location and are upgrading as time and money allow.

If I could have afforded it, I would have used Perry.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Master Penny Pincher

You have to look into Cadence. They have 2 neighborhoods in the Lehi area. One behind Costco, and one kinda near Thanksgiving Pt. We are building with them and they have been fantastic. So accommodating. We have made tons of changes to our floor plan and they have done everything we've asked.

My BIL supplies materials and manages installs for many local builders (he is a manager with BMC) He sees the builders' projects from start to finish. He sees how committed (or not) they are to quality and how well they treat their customers. He sees the kinds of sub contractors they hire and the kind of work they expect from their subs. He says he would only build with Cadence. He says their commitment to building a quality home and pleasing their customers is like nothing he's ever seen in 15 years working in the construction supply business.

Our agent with them is Kristie Palaspo Her number is 801-633-8372. Tell her the Cook's sent ya!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Penny Pincher

Thank you for all the comments! We were looking more into McArthur, but then we stopped by Salisbury and we really liked 2 floor plans, but it seems like they are a little iffy on quality. We really want To live at this next home for at least 10 years so we want something we will love. Any other advice would be great!