Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Anyone else upset KSL is Taking Days of our Lives off daytime?

I've been watching Days since I was a kid and so has my husband. I admit the stories are sometimes cheesy and the sets are low budget but I have grown up with the show for 30 years so I'm loyal. Our cable provider dropped sopanet and I just saw as of next week KSL is putting on an extra hour of dr. phil instead of days of our lives.

I know there are dvr's, online options but living in St George there are a lot of seniors that watch live still. They don't want to pay for or need extra gadgets (a lot of them have cable as part of their HOA).

I know I have seen reasons float around that KSL did this because of a certain storyline, or because of viewer demand. I find it hard to believe the average Utah viewer needs to see Dr. Phil 4 times a day, or 6 hours of the today show?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Administrator

I didn't know soaps were even still on the air! Crazy!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
I didn't know soaps were even still on the air! Crazy!
Me, too. I thought that they would have all been discontinued given that they are expensive to produce (talk shows and game shows are cheaper to produce than scripted dramas) and viewership has been in the decline.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 AM

KSL is the first NBC affiliate to remove Days from daytime. Some affilates in other cities have changed the time to noon or 3pm.

There are only a handful of soaps left I believe 4 on network tv. A few others have moved to hula and still show new episodes.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Master Penny Pincher

According to http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/ (location/provider: TV Listings for Salt Lake City Area Broadcast (Salt Lake City) [OTA Broadcast]; search: 'Days of Our Lives', in the SEARCH LISTINGS box) on Tuesday, September 10th it will begin airing at 1:05 AM on KSL HD channel 5.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hut View Post
According to http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/ (location/provider: TV Listings for Salt Lake City Area Broadcast (Salt Lake City) [OTA Broadcast]; search: 'Days of Our Lives', in the SEARCH LISTINGS box) on Tuesday, September 10th it will begin airing at 1:05 AM on KSL HD channel 5.
I think you mean 1:00 p.m. (not a.m.)
Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine View Post
No, it's says 1:05 AM. Friday, September 6th is the last day it airs at 2:00 PM on KSL.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine View Post
No it is 1:05 am They don't want Days on daytime.
That is the issue. I can use a dvr, but what about my seniors that watch it live or don't want to use a dvr? Also Baja Broadband has tons of outages between 1am-3am, at least once a week and they dropped soapnet.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hut View Post
Me, too. I thought that they would have all been discontinued given that they are expensive to produce (talk shows and game shows are cheaper to produce than scripted dramas) and viewership has been in the decline.
They have actually cut the budgets. You would be surprised at what they make. I know one of the actresses Judi Evans (been on since 1984) makes $1100 an day and gets 3-4 work days a month and is selling funeral plots on the side. they now tape 4-5 months in advance and only film 3 days a week and the sets are pretty old. They don't do those on location filming of the 80-90's.
They still pull in 2-3 million viewers (which I think is low because I know plenty of people who still watch but like myself I let it sit on my dvr till I'm sick or have a free evening and then watch a marathon and if you don't watch within 24 hours you don't count, also soapnet doesn't count). Soaps beat most court shows and some talk shows.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I know of many seniors/elderly who watch other channels such as Me-TV or Antenna TV. There are also other OTA channels listed at http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/ and http://www.titantv.com/default.aspx.