Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Summer Programs/Activities for kids in Weber County

What summer programs do you participate in Weber County area? I am wondering how to spend my fun time this summer. I wrote a few ideas locally I could recall. Of course all of these sound fun but I can't particiapte or afford all of them.

What have you done or what are you doing this summer? What are your experience and advice? Please include any prices, websites, or ages of your kids.

Summer fun sign ups:

4 H- School age kids

Weber County Library Summer Reading Program all ages

Dinosaur Park Camps School age kids

Ogden City Parks and Recration programs school age kids

Swimming Lessons Ages??

Dance/Tumbling Camps or lessons 3 and up

Acting/Art/Singing camps??
Old 05-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

We've done swim lessons at the Roy Complex and hope to again this year. http://www.royutah.org/citygov/complex/programs.htm

The Ogden Nature Center has stuff going on too. http://www.ogdennaturecenter.org/
Old 05-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I just remembered the North Pointe Theatres had cheap movies during the week last summer. I don't think they advertised it very much. I am going to call this year for a schedule.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Master Penny Pincher

We really like the week-long day camps at the Terrace School of Music.
http://utahmusicdance.com/

My boys enjoyed a day camp at the Dino Park, too, but since it was only one day, I don't know that I'll sink the money into it again. It was about the same price for one day as the whole week at Terrace.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Master Penny Pincher

May be some karate classes are offered too.

The Eccles Community Art Center, 2580 Jefferson Avenue, Ogden, Utah 84401, (801) 392-6935.

http://www.ogden4arts.org/class_schedule.htm
They have stuff for adults and kids.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

In the Roy area, you can PM me about info on a fun summer adventures camp at Wisebird Preschool. Ages 4 through 8 by May 31, 2008.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Ohhh, great thread! I started a thread a while ago asking for reviews on the dinosaur park day camps. IIRC, it is 10am-4pm including lunch and snack (for the preschooler age). I think it was $45/non-members. So that's 6 hours for $45.

The terrace camps (age 3-5) are 1.5 hours a day for 4 days, costing $45. So still 6 hours.

ctrcar, have you done both? Would you recommend one over the other even though they are the same price for the same total time? TIA!

There is also the Ogden Youth Park program: http://www.ogdencity.com/index.php?m...ion.summerpark

My kids are too young for this, but it may benefit someone else...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying.... "I will try again tomorrow." ~Mary Anne Radmacher
Old 05-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvse
Ohhh, great thread! I started a thread a while ago asking for reviews on the dinosaur park day camps. IIRC, it is 10am-4pm including lunch and snack (for the preschooler age). I think it was $45/non-members. So that's 6 hours for $45.

The terrace camps (age 3-5) are 1.5 hours a day for 4 days, costing $45. So still 6 hours.

ctrcar, have you done both? Would you recommend one over the other even though they are the same price for the same total time? TIA!
It really is going to depend on the interests of your child and my kids had a blast at both but I personally liked the Terrace camps more than the Dino Day Camp and would chose one of theirs if I had to pick one over the other. Although the dino park had them do a couple of little craft/activity type of things, it seemed like the day was mostly a supervised visit. The Terrace camps pack a lot into their daily allotment of time. My boys did the Artful Music one together, for example, and each day learned a new music period and style of art and created something to go with it. There was even a parent presentation at the end. By having it stretch throughout the week, it felt more like "camp" to them and they looked forward to it each day. Also, the smaller time each day was the perfect amount to be able to drop them off and then run an errand or two before picking them up.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrcar
It really is going to depend on the interests of your child and my kids had a blast at both but I personally liked the Terrace camps more than the Dino Day Camp and would chose one of theirs if I had to pick one over the other. Although the dino park had them do a couple of little craft/activity type of things, it seemed like the day was mostly a supervised visit. The Terrace camps pack a lot into their daily allotment of time. My boys did the Artful Music one together, for example, and each day learned a new music period and style of art and created something to go with it. There was even a parent presentation at the end. By having it stretch throughout the week, it felt more like "camp" to them and they looked forward to it each day. Also, the smaller time each day was the perfect amount to be able to drop them off and then run an errand or two before picking them up.
Thank you, thank you! I completely agree w/ what you said. I think we'll be doing the creepy critters one for my little entomologist.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying.... "I will try again tomorrow." ~Mary Anne Radmacher
Old 05-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Vacation Bible School

I know some Christian Churches in town offer Vacation Bible Schools for a small fee. All religions are welcome. If you know a friend attending a congregation may be you can car pool and find out more. I would call the church offices for more information.

St. Paul Lutheran church & school, Ogden **GREAT ONE**

St. James Catholic church, Ogden **GREAT ONE**

St. Josephs Catholic church, Ogden might

Roy Chrisitian Church might

Ogden Christian Fellowship, Ogden might

Washington Heights Baptist Church, S. Ogden might