Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default How long can you freeze Ready to Bake Cookie Dough?

I was just looking on the packages I bought after last weeks Albies sale. It says, "Product can be frozen up to 2 months if placed in freezer before the "use by" date on the package. So, my question is....do I keep it in the fridge until close to the "use by" date and then throw it in the freezer for 2 more months.....or can I put it in the freezer now and expect that it will be ok to freeze for more than just 2 months?

Any input from those who have frozen the dough in the past would be appreciated. TIA
Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

I put mine in the freezer when I bought it and I assume I can keep it frozen up to 2 months after the date, not from time I put it in the freezer. Ours gets eaten way before the date.
I did read somewhere about the differences of "sale by date", "expires on" and "best if used by". Very informative.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Master Penny Pincher

We recently found some at the bottom of our chest freezer that have been there for slightly over a year. We cooked them and my fam enjoyed them just fine. They really didn't taste any different.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Penny Pincher

My experience is the same as mamatime. I have had some in the freezer for a year, cooked it up (just last week), and the kids ate it up as usual!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkhammom
My experience is the same as mamatime. I have had some in the freezer for a year, cooked it up (just last week), and the kids ate it up as usual!
Same here and no one got sick!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 PM

I called Pillsbury a couple of months ago because I had some ready to bake cookies in the bottom of my freezer that had an expiration date of a year ago. They said that they are 'required' by law to put an expiration date on their product. The lady I talked to said they should be good for up to a year after their expiration date as long as they have been frozen. We cooked ours and they tasted just as good as if we had just bought them!!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Penny Pincher

I also bought some last year and just baked them Sunday and they tasted fine.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel
I called Pillsbury a couple of months ago because I had some ready to bake cookies in the bottom of my freezer that had an expiration date of a year ago. They said that they are 'required' by law to put an expiration date on their product. The lady I talked to said they should be good for up to a year after their expiration date as long as they have been frozen. We cooked ours and they tasted just as good as if we had just bought them!!
I heard this same thing from a local business. Their product (dried fruits and nuts) does not expire, but by law they are required to put a date on it. When the date comes due they have to pull all the product. I'm so glad that's the same on the cookie dough because I have some in the freezer and we don't go through it very fast! Thanks!!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmingweight
I heard this same thing from a local business. Their product (dried fruits and nuts) does not expire, but by law they are required to put a date on it. When the date comes due they have to pull all the product. I'm so glad that's the same on the cookie dough because I have some in the freezer and we don't go through it very fast! Thanks!!

Hate to admit it, but we have cooked up cookie dough long past expiration (not even frozen, just in the fridge!) and it's been okay. THIS time I just froze all that I purchased.

Also, the other night I opened a can of peanuts that had a date of November 06. They were fine. The problem with nuts is they can go rancid. After I opened them I put them in the freezer just as a precaution since I figure they'll go bad faster now that they are opened.