Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Ideas Needed For Items to Sell At Economic Fair

I need to help DS make 30-35 items for the school economic fair. They may or may not be Christmas related. Any frugal yet fun ideas out there?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Who would be attending the fair? His potential audience has a hug impact on what he should make to sell.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Penny Pincher

At our childrens' economics fair I saw that team stuff did great, like Utah Utes or BYU--for example, use fleece to make small blankets or scarfs. We have also done decorating candy canes or dum dum suckers. I also saw someone sell notebooks covered in pretty scrapbook paper. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Penny Pincher

Oh how fun! Our school does this every year, too. We have four 5th grade classes that do this and they come up with some pretty creative things. Origami (they made) book marks, candy (those cute little trains you make with gum or lifesavers), and homemade suckers, pop, magnets, popcorn balls, hair bows, slime, older nintendo games, and if I think of any more I'll add on. They have also done services such as nail painting, hair braiding, neck massage, fish pond, small little quick things like that. He could make some fun ornaments or something Christmas related if it's close to Christmas. Good luck. What a fun project.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Our 6th graders do a fair where they sell stuff for fake money. Candy bars seem to sell well. If you have a girl you could do painting nails. I told my daughter she should make up some cards and tell peoples fortunes. I thought that would be funny because it would depend on what card they picked.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Third graders are making the items that will be sold to the whole school. Also, I forgot to mention that we are not allowed to home make any food items unless we get a food handlers permit. So far, the only idea I have is for us to make candy necklaces. The kind that have candy wrapped up in plastic wrap and tied around each piece with ribbon. But, I would love to hear any more ideas you all have for me. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Master Penny Pincher

My ds was very successful at his 3rd grade economics fair. We bought one Costco size tub of Laffy Taffy (around $5) and he attached a tiny label to each one. 5 of them said "Grand Prize," 10 said "First Prize," more said, "Second Prize" and more said, "Third Prize." The rest of the labels said, "Sorry, try again." For the prizes, he used decorator marbles (those flattened colored glass ones) that he gets from his piano teacher for a job well done. He had a jar full of assorted sizes and colors to use. He determined which ones and how many went in to each "prize." So even though the Laffy Taffy wasn't all that special, the gimmick of the prize possibility was something that made it really go over well. He had a crowd around his table during the entire fair and sold out quickly.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Bumping this...need some ideas for an upcoming economics fair.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

I am not sure if this is the same kind of event but when my kids were in grade school they had what they called mini society. Each 5th grader had to create their own business doing many of the things that have been mentioned. My kids always cleaned their rooms and took all of the Mc Donalds toys etc. that they no longer wanted. I think I would pick some up at yard sales for very cheap also. I would add some cheap candy like a big bag of the small tootsie rolls from Sams Club. We did make the candy trains one year just because I had the stuff to do it on hand. My kids were always one of the biggest money makers. (pretend money) The younger kids really enjoyed it and we de-junked our bedrooms!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Make a game...

like throwing bean bags into different size cans to earn different penny candies or some kind of spinning wheel that has a prize attached, maybe rings around bottle necks or pingpong balls into fish bowls and they win a Swedish Fish.

Take a little tikes kind of basket ball hoop and have them throw Nerf balls to earn candy rewards for baskets made.

Just sharing some of the ideas I have seen done. Hope it helps!