Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 05-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Arrow Home Storage of Wheat ~ USU extension

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publi...ion/FN-371.pdf

Article was published June 1995

Print a copy to keep with your foodstorage.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

I read in this pamphlet that it's best when storing wheat in buckets to use a lid with a gasket. Do I need to use gamma lids for long term storage or can I just use regular lids as long as I use the dry ice method when packing it?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Master Penny Pincher

There are lids with gaskets that aren't gamma lids. Just look for a black rubber thing inside the lip of a lid. I have also seen white. They are usually just a dollar or two more than a non-gasket lid. The last few I got at Walmart.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebooks View Post
There are lids with gaskets that aren't gamma lids. Just look for a black rubber thing inside the lip of a lid. I have also seen white. They are usually just a dollar or two more than a non-gasket lid. The last few I got at Walmart.
Thank you! So I'm assuming I need these gasket lids according to this: http://providentliving.org/pfw/multi...ons_v4_pdf.pdf
Do you remember how much they were at Walmart?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Best Baby Deals Moderator

Gamma lids actually have two gaskets, one on the ring that snaps onto the bucket, and one on the part that twists on and off. I don't think I would use the gamma lids for long time storage since they are so expensive. I always use the regular lids, I just make sure the lids I buy have a gasket. Some do not, so make sure you look. They are usually black. A good storage or container store should know what you are talking about.
The ones at maceys come with a lid that does not have a gasket, but they sell the lids with gaskets separately.
I use gamma lids for the bucket I am currently using, I usually dump the stored bucket into the one with the gamma lid, so I don't have to keep moving the gamma lids.
I hope that makes sense.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by s275hv View Post
Gamma lids actually have two gaskets, one on the ring that snaps onto the bucket, and one on the part that twists on and off. I don't think I would use the gamma lids for long time storage since they are so expensive. I always use the regular lids, I just make sure the lids I buy have a gasket. Some do not, so make sure you look. They are usually black. A good storage or container store should know what you are talking about.
The ones at maceys come with a lid that does not have a gasket, but they sell the lids with gaskets separately.
I use gamma lids for the bucket I am currently using, I usually dump the stored bucket into the one with the gamma lid, so I don't have to keep moving the gamma lids.
I hope that makes sense.
Yes, it does. Thanks a ton.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4crazyboyz View Post
Thank you! So I'm assuming I need these gasket lids according to this: http://providentliving.org/pfw/multi...ons_v4_pdf.pdf
Do you remember how much they were at Walmart?
Maybe $2 or $3. I bought buckets at the same time and was a little dismayed to find that the lids didn't come with the buckets. When she told me the price of the lid I was okay with it, so it couldn't have been more than $4.