Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Best Baby Deals Moderator

After the earthquake in Japan everyone kept mentioning how important it was to have water on every level of your house. I have some 5 gallon water jugs. I filled them and toted them down stairs a year or two ago. They didn't make it past the bottom of the stairs because they were heavy. I hated the idea of lugging them up and down to empty and fill them, they were so HEAVY!!! when filled. Then one night a week or two ago I had this great idea to store them under the bathroom sinks. I had originally bought this size as I wanted some that I could put next to the sinks for hand washing should we loose access to water. If I wanted them to be with the sinks, why not store them under the sinks? It would put them on every level of my house, put them close to where I wanted them, and where I would need them. They would be one less thing to find and move in an emergency. They are more accessible here than in the basement. So I cleaned out under all of my sinks and put at least 1 jug under each sink. In the Guest bathroom the sink cabinet is not big enough to store the jug, so I stuck it in the shower. We rarely have guests need to shower, but if we do I can just tell them why they are there, but no one will see them unless they need to shower. I am 100 times more likely to regularly empty and fill the jugs now that I know I don't have to lug them up and down stairs. I feel better knowing the water is EASILY accessible.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by s275hv View Post
After the earthquake in Japan everyone kept mentioning how important it was to have water on every level of your house. I have some 5 gallon water jugs. I filled them and toted them down stairs a year or two ago. They didn't make it past the bottom of the stairs because they were heavy. I hated the idea of lugging them up and down to empty and fill them, they were so HEAVY!!! when filled. Then one night a week or two ago I had this great idea to store them under the bathroom sinks. I had originally bought this size as I wanted some that I could put next to the sinks for hand washing should we loose access to water. If I wanted them to be with the sinks, why not store them under the sinks? It would put them on every level of my house, put them close to where I wanted them, and where I would need them. They would be one less thing to find and move in an emergency. They are more accessible here than in the basement. So I cleaned out under all of my sinks and put at least 1 jug under each sink. In the Guest bathroom the sink cabinet is not big enough to store the jug, so I stuck it in the shower. We rarely have guests need to shower, but if we do I can just tell them why they are there, but no one will see them unless they need to shower. I am 100 times more likely to regularly empty and fill the jugs now that I know I don't have to lug them up and down stairs. I feel better knowing the water is EASILY accessible.
That is a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

I have a great area on the side of my house that we are not using and I wouldl like to store a few of those big 55 gallon barrels, I know about not filling them all the way up, but how often am I going to have to dump them out, do they have to be cleaned every time? Is it possible to empty them with a hose over on to my lawn (about 10 - 15 feet away) so that I don't have to move them every time? Thanks for the help!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I have a great area on the side of my house that we are not using and I wouldl like to store a few of those big 55 gallon barrels, I know about not filling them all the way up, but how often am I going to have to dump them out, do they have to be cleaned every time? Is it possible to empty them with a hose over on to my lawn (about 10 - 15 feet away) so that I don't have to move them every time? Thanks for the help!
I don't know for sure-cause I don't have mine yet. But I'm planning on having dh make little stands with wheels on them so we can roll them as needed. I've seen the stands you can buy, but dh is handy so he can do it cheaper. Ours will be on concrete on the side of the house, but this way we can wheel them out of the way if we need to get something big by them.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Best Baby Deals Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
You should be able to use a hose to create a siphon. I would wash them everytime just cos that is what I would do, but I am also lazy and probably wait to long to change mine...
To create the siphon put a hose in the barrel, all the way down to the bottom. put the other end of the hose on your lawn and create some suction to start drawing the water out of the barrel. (My husband sucks on the hose. It grosses me out and I am sure there must be another way). Let it drain until it is empty enough to move more easily and finish dumping it out on the lawn.
Disclaimer: we have only done this with our hot tub, not water barrels, but I would think it would work with the same????
Old 08-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Penny Pincher

Default Canning your own water

Not sure if this has already been addressed but does anyone know how long the shelf life is for waterbath canned water. The kind you can yourself?

www.highplainsblogster.blogspot.com
Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Last year my hubby told me about a company that sold pre-filled, pre-treated water barrels and would deliver them to your home. Has anyone heard of this? I'm in Utah.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamell98 View Post
Last year my hubby told me about a company that sold pre-filled, pre-treated water barrels and would deliver them to your home. Has anyone heard of this? I'm in Utah.
Interesting, haven't heard about this...
Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Costco will deliver the large water-cooler containers that are used in offices, etc. Do you think that's what he means?

Here is a link: http://www.costcowater.com/costco/index.jsf
Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamell98 View Post
The good news is that I found the company. The bad news? Not sure on their operating status Here is the URL to the most recent price/product list: http://www.icerapids.com/products-and-pricing/

I like the idea of this company because the water is good for 25 years and delivery is free.