Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 12-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Default Price comparisons for Food Storage

check out this thread from Dec 2009

thanks UtahMomof7
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

I just did a price comparison for Freeze Dried Food storage. I became a Shelf Reliance consultant because I wanted a discount on my shelving, then I started looking into the Freeze Dried food . . . I compared 4 different sites (I didn't want to be toting the most expensive stuff and telling people what a deal they were getting.) What I found is:

As far as Shelf Reliance goes, you get your best deals going directly through a SR consultant (not a webpage link). The unadvertized specials are usually FAR cheaper than all the compeditors.
When you buy Al-a-carte items, SR is usually the best priced for meats, and packages only a few fruits and veggies.

You can get good prices through Emergency Essentials, but their website is NOT user friendly. They also have flat rate shipping.

Honeyville Grain has some good prices online but I hear they have much better prices when you go into the store.

The Ready Store has good quality product and usually has heavier #10 cans. They often have some of the best AND the worst prices . . watch the sales.

Shelf Reliance has the Q - which is a automatic shipment program. You choose your budget and what you want in your shipments and they send things out automatically. Every month you get a Q-pon that is VERY discounted. It's usually discounted so much it covers shipping and is still cheaper than the competitors. You have to keep an eye on your Q though or you'll miss the deals. Also, when you are signed up for the Q, your website prices are automatically adjusted to party pricing.

The Ready Store and Shelf Reliance has the best variety as far as individual items go, Emergency Essentials had more Ready Meal options (watch out for high salt content though if that's a potential issue, they were originally made for campers and hikers).

Also, and this is what drew me to them in the first place, SR is the only place to find the awesome food rotation systems. There is one other that I found made by FIFO, that one retails for $550, SR retails for $460, but you can get if for $264 or less through a consultant.

There are great benefits to becomming a constultant too. (I'm not trying to recrute or anything, I'm just saying this is what I did and why) There are no sales quotas or anything, you just have to maintain your Q at $50 or more. Kind of a practice what you preach thing. Once you sign up, you stay a consultant until you quit the Q or it drops below $50. That means you are privy to all the sales and you get a %10 kickback on all the foodstorage you are already buying for you and your family.

If you buy Thrive (the SR brand) be sure to go directly through a consultant for best pricing. If you don't want to do that, Costco has the next best pricing. They are only slightly more expensive than the consultant or Q club pricing.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

As soon as I figure out how to post the price comparison and the unadvertised specials link, I will. . . I know there are webpage links, but all I have are downloads.