Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Arrow Kitchen ~ Pantry ~ Storage Room - share tips on organizing and shopping methods

another PYPer posted this article:
http://ce.byu.edu/ed/edweek/handouts/2005/R2.pdf

I thought we could use that article as a way to kick start this thread and inspire some of us to 'get it together'.

Do you have any tips for stockpiling efficiently?

Do you follow a set plan to shop for foodstorage?

Do you use software to manage the foodstorage/household supplies you have on hand?

Do you keep records of what you spent to stockpile or a price book?

What methods do you use to keep your Food Prep areas and Storage Rooms less cluttered and organized?

Please share anything you can think of that might help busy mothers:
* post your ideas, questions, or just help us pull it all together
* photos of pantry, foodstorage system, tutorial
* web links for more articles, software, a book you read, a blog you visit
* links to a storage item: shelving, racks, totes, underbed containers, bags.
* if you made/invented something that you can't buy in the store - share with us!

I know I could use some inspiration!
Winter is the best time for me to sit down and organize the house or rotate foodstorage.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

I'm especially interested in any software programs or other methods for tracking inventory - that's something I would really benefit from.

I imagine having a bar-code scanning system in my home - scan an item as I take it from my storage room, let it remind me when I'm getting low on something. Ahhhh.... to dream.

I recently found a grocery store checklist, which basically lists everything that a grocery store carries. I organized my storage room a few weeks ago and used this checklist to make note of the items that I didn't yet have in my stock-pile, or items I was running low on. I love the idea of having my own little "grocery store" downstairs, so that the only things I really have to shop for are my perishables. I was surprised at how many things I hadn't started stock-piling yet.

Perhaps I'll post a few pictures of how I organize my food storage/stock-pile.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default My Stock-Pile Pictures

I just organized my stock-pile a few weeks ago. I bought some of those wire-type shelving units from Wal-Mart and then just used a few other shelving units that we already had. We live in a tiny, two-bedroom home, so storage space is very limited. The only storage space we have is in our super tiny, 1-room basement, which houses our hot water heater and furnace. Our house is really old, so it's seriously a dungeon down there, but I tried to work with it the best I could. Here are some of my storage solutions:

I actually use some of my food storage items on a regular basis, so I keep these containers stacked in a corner near my kitchen. Included are my beans, rice, flour, wheat, baking mix, sugar, etc. I made cute little laminated labels for them so they're easily identified.

I try to keep one of everything (that I use most often, anyway) in my kitchen cupboard, and then I go "shopping" in my basement to restock my cupboard. It keeps my kitchen cupboard clean and organized with just the basics. Now... on to pictures of my basement, where I keep my stockpile:

I told you it's a dungeon down there:

I find that, by having a place for everything, it keeps me from over-buying on things that we'll never be able to use before they expire. I hung laminated tags from the wire shelves labeling where everything goes (my husband made SO much fun of me for this, but hey...):

I reserved one shelving unit for non-food items and the rest is for the edible stuff. Some of the smaller items didn't stand up well on the wire shelving, so I went up to our recycle center and found large boxes, used them to cut pieces of cardboard the same size as the shelf, and now the smaller items sit on the shelves without tipping over. I also used shallow boxes or plastic bins for these items and printed sticky labels for them:

Here are more pictures of my stock-pile. I separated things into categories, like snacks, condiments, baking items, boxed foods, canned foods, etc.

Feminine products, tissue, storage supplies (tin foil, baggies, etc.)

Soap, cleaning products, laundry detergent

More cleaning products, dishwasher detergent

Drinks

Snack shelf (this is where DH does most of his "shopping"). I placed smaller shoebox sized bins on this shelf to hold candy, gum, and energy bars.

Picnic supplies, condiments, drink mixes

Cereal

Boxed foods and baking items (sugar, oil, pudding mixes, spices, etc.)

Canned foods

More canned foods

I keep most of my smaller items in bins (medicine, razors, lotion, dental care, baby supplies, etc):

I use a lot of bleach, but didn't have enough room for it, as it takes up quite a bit of shelf space. I figured that I could put one bottle on each of the steps leading down to my storage room. There's still plenty of room to walk and it helps me realize when I'm getting low (like now - I need bleach to go on sale SOON):

Larger bins hold gifts, decorations, and seasonal clothing:

I actually ran out of wall space, so I use this rolling cart, which sits in front of my shelving units. I can roll it back and forth when I need to get to things behind it (sort of a pain, but I had to get creative):

On top I store my shampoo/conditioner/hair care products:

Middle shelf holds deodorant and toothbrushes in nicely labeled bins:

And on bottom is DH's soda stash:

On the other wall I keep some rolling carts with drawers for my husbands electronic cords and crap, and other holds household items like batteries, light bulbs, water filter refills, pens, etc.:

And my paper products in another corner.

I actually couldn't find room for my bottled water, so I do store that out in the garage.

We do have a very small family (two adults and one toddler), so our stock-piling needs are probably a lot smaller than people with larger families.

My organizing "must-have's" are my label maker, my computer/printer, and my laminating machine.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Best Baby Deals Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiscrapital
I just organized my stock-pile a few weeks ago. I bought some of those wire-type shelving units from Wal-Mart and then just used a few other shelving units that we already had. We live in a tiny, two-bedroom home, so storage space is very limited. The only storage space we have is in our super tiny, 1-room basement, which houses our hot water heater and furnace. Our house is really old, so it's seriously a dungeon down there, but I tried to work with it the best I could. Here are some of my storage solutions:

We do have a very small family (two adults and one toddler), so our stock-piling needs are probably a lot smaller than people with larger families.

My organizing "must-have's" are my label maker, my computer/printer, and my laminating machine.
WOW! I am a little speachless. It looks amazing. I wish mine looked that good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybear
Do you follow a set plan to shop for foodstorage?.
I have a set budget for food. I then break that down every pay day into 4 categories.
The first Categorie if for perishables and basic grocery needs. This is about 1/3 of my grocery budget.
I then break down the remaining 2/3 in equal portions and put it in envelopes labeled: Meat, Dairy and Sweetners, Grains and canned goods.
I try to leave the envelopes alone when doing my regular grocery shopping. I can usually use the main grocery money to buy all perishables, and a few sale stock up items. I then use the other envelopes to save for big sales. When there is a great deal on meat, I dip into that envelope. If it is on sugars or powdered milks I use the Dairy envelope, etc. This way I am continuously saving for food storage purchases and I usually have money available when a good deal comes along. I wasn't able to do this until I had been using PYP for about a year to get a good stock built up. I try to shop from my own stores and then replace as I need to.
I currently have enough grains stored up, so I am using that money to buy items that we will use long term. Right now I am saving to buy a pressure cooker and other canning supplies.

I have a binder where I figured out how much I needed of everything. I then keep track of what I have by writing down the bulk purchases I make. I then can see how much I have and how much I still need to buy. (I keep track by case, not individual items). I keep a seperate list of what I have used that needs to be replaced, I write it on my list when I break into a new case so I know that is something to watch for.

I also have a wish list of items (like my pressure canner) that I would like to eventually buy. I frequently ask for items on this list for my birthday or Christmas since they are usally larger ticket items.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiscrapital
I just organized my stock-pile a few weeks ago.
Amazing!!! I love the laminated tags.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

When I went through and cleaned out my kitchen, I made myself really think about about what I actually needed and used. A lot of my appliances served only one purpose (like my quasadilla maker). I never really used it and there are other methods of making a quasadilla besides using this appliance, so I got rid of it. I did this with everything in my cupboards. I was amazed at how many things I was able to get rid of, and will probably never miss.

I also cleaned out my gadget drawer. I found that I had duplicates of several items, like two garlic presses. When on earth would I EVER need two of those? So... got rid of one. I simplified and got rid of anything that I had duplicates of, didn't use, or was worn out. I was amazed at how much stuff I really don't need or even use.

My other cupboards are pretty boring looking, but I did take a picture of my dish cupboard for you. I went through and asked myself "how many cups does a three-person family really need?" I do dishes every day, so there was no reason to have 500 cups/mugs (okay, I didn't have 500, but I did have a lot). I narrowed it down to my favorites and the ones we use the most. I chose to keep the matching sets rather than those misc. mugs and cups that you somehow accumulate over the years. We also had some dessert dishes that we've had for about 13 years, and NEVER used. We CAN eat desserts (and have been for the last 13 years) in a bowl, so I decided that it was time to get rid of them as well.

I went through and lined my cupboards with shelf-liner and also bought some of those wire rack things to increase the storage space a bit more.

I did notice that I had several "kid dishes" (sippy cups, plastic cups, plastic plates, bowls, etc.) in my cupboard, which I need, but I actually had an entirely empty drawer after I was done cleaning out my gadgets and other stuff, so I designated that drawer for "kid dishes". It's the bottom drawer, so my DD can easily reach her own stuff.

Now the only cupboard that I haven't cleaned out is my spice cupboard. I'm actually quite intimidated by it - it's a disaster.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Dear, dear digi.. Wasn't it you who started the thread about not keeping up? Maybe I'm wrong, BUT if it was you you must have just been having a bad day. What an inspiration you are!
Want to come to my house? I hate to let anyone in because it is a disaster area that looks like a tornado just went through (REALLY, way too much stuff in my house!).
My husband always says it is helpful to the marriages of our neighbors because they can go home and husband can say to wife "Wow, I'm glad you're my wife"...
Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkemommy
Dear, dear digi.. Wasn't it you who started the thread about not keeping up? Maybe I'm wrong, BUT if it was you you must have just been having a bad day. What an inspiration you are!
Want to come to my house? I hate to let anyone in because it is a disaster area that looks like a tornado just went through (REALLY, way too much stuff in my house!).
My husband always says it is helpful to the marriages of our neighbors because they can go home and husband can say to wife "Wow, I'm glad you're my wife"...
LOL... yes, it is I! And THIS is the reason I had my meltdown. I was trying to do too much and be too perfect. My house was spotless and organized, but I was a mess. I was neglecting myself and the emotional needs of my family. Trust me, I'm sitting here while my DD naps - my sink is piled with dishes, my desk is cluttered, and my bed is not made, but I'm HAPPY because I haven't spent all day cleaning my butt off worrying about someone stopping by unexpectedly. Things are good now, thanks to my PYP friends.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Red face Question regarding canned goods rotation product.

I had heard of the Cansolidator mentioned on PYP several times and think that this may be a solution for me because I really don't have room for anything much larger.

I found what I *think* may be a good deal at Costco.com for a 2 pack of the pantry size here : http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11233407

Is $59.99 a decent price for a 2 pack? And also any thoughts on how good a product this is?

I am amazed at the extent and organization of your stockpiles and your input is very much appreciated!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Penny Pincher

Default Cansolidator

I bought the cansolidator at the Clinton Wal-Mart for just under $30 each in November. To purchase them directly from Shelf-reliance they are much more expensive. I purchased 5 boxes of these and set them up on my own large shelf in my basement to make them somewhat simliar to the large pre-built shelves you can buy from Shelf-Reliance for several hundred dollars. (My Christmas present to myself!) I love them! It's nice because my husband can actually find things now that it's all in one place.

Depending on the size of your can, you can fit about 10 soup cans per divider and each box includes 5 dividers. It's great for rotating cans. I wouldn't use these in my kitchen cupboards because I don't store that many of each can in my kitchen. But if that is the only storage space you have, it might work for you. I ended up with left over track and not enough dividers.
HTH.