Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 02-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Talking

Thanks rodello, just the type of input I was looking for I do have a fairly decent sized pantry but not much more storage space than that, so I am thinking that if I set up at least one of my pantry shelves with Cansolidators and maybe buy a small chest freezer it might be a good start for our little family of 2.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 PM

Oh my goodness. I just barely got a binder with dividers and I'm trying to keep up with budgeting and only buying things I need...

Your pantry looks very similar to mine, Digis. I am highly intimidated right now. What a dream that would be! I feel like such a slacker. By the time I have enough money saved up to go stock pile shopping it's time to do regular grocery shopping again and the money is gone!!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:09 AM

Default How I Know What Is In My Food Storage

So Iíve found a system that has really been working for me to keep track of our food storage. Itís been a lot of work to put together, but I think itís worth it. I canít take all the credit. I got the idea from the LDS church magazine The Ensign.

Essentially I have a card for each item that I want to have stored. I made the card holder, but you can buy similar ones at teaching supply stores. It was super simple to make. You could use any scraps of fabric you have. When we use an item we take out the card and it goes in a binder with baseball card holders.

When the ads come out I can easily look in the binder to see what I need to restock up on. I love it. If thereís an especially good deal, like when items are free, and I have more than we really need I just use a little star sticker on the pocket to indicate that we have an overage of that. This comes in handy when food drives come around and I can see what we can donate without hurting our storage at all.
I have three different colored cards. Blue-items that I buy at the grocery store. Red-bulk items that are bought at the cannery or food storage sales. Yellow-home canned items.
I would also like to do another one for all of my cleaning supplies, hygiene items, etc.
Itís worked really well because itís easily accessible (just inside my pantry door) & easy to use. I have an envelope taped by the card holder that I just put the used cards in until I can file them in my binder.
One of the big challenges in getting this set up was to know exactly how much we needed of everything, especially long term items like wheat, flour, and sugar. There are lots of food storage calculators out there, this is the one I liked the best. link
Also for everyday items that arenít long term hereís a great link to Food Storage Made Easy with an excel spreadsheet that helps you decide how much your family needs.
That's what I do. If you're interested in more info or have questions about it let me know.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Penny Pincher

This is awesome!! Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by t33
So Iíve found a system that has really been working for me to keep track of our food storage. Itís been a lot of work to put together, but I think itís worth it. I canít take all the credit. I got the idea from the LDS church magazine The Ensign.

Essentially I have a card for each item that I want to have stored. I made the card holder, but you can buy similar ones at teaching supply stores. It was super simple to make. You could use any scraps of fabric you have. When we use an item we take out the card and it goes in a binder with baseball card holders.

When the ads come out I can easily look in the binder to see what I need to restock up on. I love it. If thereís an especially good deal, like when items are free, and I have more than we really need I just use a little star sticker on the pocket to indicate that we have an overage of that. This comes in handy when food drives come around and I can see what we can donate without hurting our storage at all.
I have three different colored cards. Blue-items that I buy at the grocery store. Red-bulk items that are bought at the cannery or food storage sales. Yellow-home canned items.
I would also like to do another one for all of my cleaning supplies, hygiene items, etc.
Itís worked really well because itís easily accessible (just inside my pantry door) & easy to use. I have an envelope taped by the card holder that I just put the used cards in until I can file them in my binder.
One of the big challenges in getting this set up was to know exactly how much we needed of everything, especially long term items like wheat, flour, and sugar. There are lots of food storage calculators out there, this is the one I liked the best. link
Also for everyday items that arenít long term hereís a great link to Food Storage Made Easy with an excel spreadsheet that helps you decide how much your family needs.
That's what I do. If you're interested in more info or have questions about it let me know.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:21 AM
Penny Pincher

Digiscrapital-
You are my food storage idol! it looks amazing!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Penny Pincher

Smile

WOW, digiscrapital! That's awesome! That's my dream stash. I'm working on mine slowly but surely. I currently use heavy duty plastic shelving, but eventually I'd like to get the Shelf Reliance Harvest rack. Then I could use the shelving for paper goods, boxed items, etc. like you have.

I also date everything I have with color coding dots. Someone else on the forum mentioned them and I've found it's a great way to keep track of when I bought something. Each month is a different color and I write the month and year (i. e. 3-09) on everything so I know how long I've had it. Works great!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 AM

OK I am officially inspired by these awesome pictures! Its great to see what others' storage looks like, gives me some hope!
I am going to copy you guys!
Old 09-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Penny Pincher

bumping this thread up for any other pictures or tips
Old 09-06-2009, 02:33 PM

Smile How We Do Food Storage

Wow! The inspiration!

When we first built this house we had a a totally finished food storage room built with shelving. I was on cloud 9 thinking that I had it made. No more stacking stuff up in an unfinished corner of the basement!

But I only had 3 kids then.

And I didn't have the medically fragile little one that came with enough medical supplies to fill an entire room. Seriously.

After Parker's birth we lived off of our food storage. I can't tell you how having food storage blessed our lives.

I'm now in the process of dumping and chucking and reorganizing how we store our food. Really, do I need two rice makers? Or that wheat grass juicer I've never once used in 20 years? Our room simply is no longer big enough to hold everything our family would need for a year. And our extra storage space is now full of Parker's medical supplies.

I am using the space under our stairs for items like:

Capri Sun
Power Aide
Boxes of Water Bottles

This allows me to make sure my kids (and sometimes their friends) don't just go in and clean me out in a week's time.

I'm keeping items for home lunches on the top of my cabinets in my laundry room. Again, to be able to insure that my kids don't clean me out.

(Does anyone else have issues with their teens going in and just munching down all the fun stuff in the blink of an eye?)

In my actual food storage room I keep:

beans, wheat, rice and sugar in 20 gallon buckets
home canned veggies, salsa and jams
cereals
store purchased cans of veggies and fruits, meats, etc.
dehydrated potatoes
yeast
syrup
baking items/mixes
stuff from the cannery
boxes like Mac and Cheese

I keep my laundry items (and soon cleaning supplies) and toilet paper in our utility room. We'll be cleaning this out soon in order to fit more boxes of supplies in there too.

Cause I tend to get grouchy when we run out of TP.

Unfortunately, I only have less than half of the wheat and sugar that I need. So that is high on the list of priorities. But there won't be enough room in the food storage room for the other half of this stuff.

So, I'll most likely be storing those in my kids' downstairs bedroom closets.

But I figure that will help me keep things rotated, as I'll know that what is in the food storage room will need to be used up first.

I plan on stocking up on canned green beans, corn, fruit and olives at Macey's caselot next payday. I'll put some up on the shelves in the food storage room and then the rest under my son's bed.

I'm pretty much out of pasta and will need to stock up on that next. I'll put some on the shelf, and then the rest under my daughter's bed.

My home canned chicken will go under my bed. As will my home canned pumpkin pie filling.

Then same with my needing to buy powered milk. It will go under my other daughter's bed. (Although I may need to check and make sure those cans will fit under a bed...hmmmm.)

This weekend I am taking stock of everything we have.....and everything we still need to get back to 100%. I plan on keeping a binder as a master record of what we have.......and where it is.

No, it's not the super slick dream I had of having the 'perfect food storage set up', but sometimes a girl's got to be creative.

And I have read and heard that it is better not to keep everything all in one place anyway.

I had thought that once my kids started moving out then I wouldn't need so much food storage. But after talking to many of my friends who have had kids move out and get married, they say that those kids can barely put food on the table now....much less food storage.......and even married children need to know that there is emergency food at Mom and Dad's if needed.

(Not that this means they shouldn't work on their own food storage. It just may take awhile for them to get it up to 100%)

Plus Reed and I have promised ourselves that if the you-know-what ever seriously hit the fan, we would have enough in our storage to share. That is important to us.

And personally I believe that the economy will get worse before it gets better. And that Utah's state budget will be cut even more this next year.
www.prayingforparker.com
Old 01-01-2010, 10:19 PM

I keep coming back to this thread for inspiration. I just moved into a new home and we bought new shelving. I thought I had a pretty sweet little stash. Then I came back to this thread and realized I have a lot of organizing to do, still. I love to be organized, but getting that way is so hard! I just sit and stare at my closet and my storage room and think of all the possibilities. Then I get overwhelmed and give up. I just don't even know where to begin.