Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 12-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Penny Pincher

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good place to buy brown rice in bulk. I know that it doesn't store as long, but we are trying to go more whole grain and it is pricey buying it in the little bags at wal-mart.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Honeyville Grain online prices are more expensive than actually buying it at their little store or mills in Salt Lake City or Honeyville, Utah.

Ask Managers of the stores in your area if you can have a discount for ordering a case of brown rice or a large bag. They will often give you 10% off your order or more if you are lucky.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

The blue chip group has bouillon at a great price.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Best Baby Deals Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennytee
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good place to buy brown rice in bulk. I know that it doesn't store as long, but we are trying to go more whole grain and it is pricey buying it in the little bags at wal-mart.

Thanks
Kitchen Kneads in WJ On about 7600 south and redwood had some they said lasted up to 10 years. I used to just buy 25 lb bags at costco with good success I could use it up before it went bad (about 2 years with no problems). Last I checked they weren't carrying it. I got some at Honeyville last fall.
HTH
Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default How do I store wheat

I am trying to decide how I should purchase wheat- I can get it in bulk in 25 lb bags or in #10 cans, which costs more. I was wondering how long the bulk bags would last or if I should get 5 gallon buckets with gamma seals and go for the bulk bags? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by giberly
I am trying to decide how I should purchase wheat- I can get it in bulk in 25 lb bags or in #10 cans, which costs more. I was wondering how long the bulk bags would last or if I should get 5 gallon buckets with gamma seals and go for the bulk bags? Does anyone have any suggestions?
If your wheat is stored properly, it should last 30+ years. You have to make sure the moisture level is just right, as well as other factors that I can't remember right now, or your wheat could go nasty.

I just started my wheat supply this year. I personally haven't purchased any of the big bags of wheat, because I don't want critters (mice, bugs, weevil) to get into it. I have purchased the 45 pound buckets of Lehi Roller Mills wheat. I also have some #10 cans of wheat from the LDS church cannery. I am hoping that both methods have been packaged correctly for my wheat to last a long time, if needed!
Old 05-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

It's time to rotate your foodstorage and 72 hr kits!

Use It or Lose It!
Old 05-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Duct Tape can usually be found at dollar stores in the automotive section
Old 05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Where is the best place to get buckets to put my wheat in? Should I wait for a sale? or is there somewhere that is pretty inexpensive usually?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I just got a bunch at Walmart. 5 gallon with lid with seal about $6 maybe a little less. The buckets were about $4.80 and the lid about $1.20-$1.50 (can't remember exactly).