Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 12-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Penny Pincher

Default wheat grinder?

I think its time to buy a grinder, now that my in-laws got us food storage for christmas. so what brands do you recommend? or what features should I look for? and where do I buy them? I live in Utah. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

http://www.boschutah.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=25

This is the one that I want. It is at the Bosch store in Orem. If you don't live in UT county, it is free shipping.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

I got mine on ebay. I searched for sellers within 25 miles of my salt lake zip code and found a bunch. I saved on shipping that way and just picked up the item.

I first purchased one, and it didn't work so I was able to take it back to the person here in town. Then I purchased another one.

I have The Kitchen Mill by Kitchenetics (now K-tec.) I like it because it powerful yet small enough to store away in my cupboard. I can also wash the tray by hand or dishwasher.
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/im.../k-tecmill.jpg
Old 01-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Something you might want to consider when buying a food mill for your food storage is one that can be electric or hand cranked, just in case you are in dire circumstances with no power. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttosave

This is the one that I want. It is at the Bosch store in Orem. If you don't live in UT county, it is free shipping.
I have this one and I love it. (It was a gift from my Mom) I like it a lot more than my old one. It is quieter and cleans up a lot easier. I used to have to take my old one outside to grind the wheat because it would make a mess. This one is neat and clean. You can call the Bosch store in Orem or go in and talk to Elizabeth. She is great at helping you find what you need and at explaining the features/differences in the machines. Watch out if you go in there, though. There are so many cool things in there...that store is trouble!!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:

I have this one, too and I like it a lot. I've had it for almost a year and I use it three or four times a month. I grind wheat, corn and beans. It can grind the flour really fine, like pastry flour, or it can go as coarse as corn meal. Mine has a "hole" in the back that was put there for a hand grinder in case of a power outtage, but so far they haven't come out with the attachments. I'm not sure they ever will.

I like my grinder a lot. My only concern is its durability. I'm not sure it's going to last a really long time. My mom has a Retsel, which costs over $400. Her Retsel is almost 40 years old and still going strong. I can't even begin to calculate how much flour she's ground over the years, but it's a lot.

BTW, I bought my Nutrimill at a Bosch store in Sandy because the store in Orem was always out when I went to buy it.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyZC
I like my grinder a lot. My only concern is its durability. I'm not sure it's going to last a really long time. My mom has a Retsel, which costs over $400. Her Retsel is almost 40 years old and still going strong. I can't even begin to calculate how much flour she's ground over the years, but it's a lot.

BTW, I bought my Nutrimill at a Bosch store in Sandy because the store in Orem was always out when I went to buy it.

Good luck!

Doesn't it have a life time warranty? I know that doesn't mean everything, but if the motor goes out or something, won't they take care of it?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Doesn't it have a life time warranty? I know that doesn't mean everything, but if the motor goes out or something, won't they take care of it?
It does have a lifetime warranty! Thanks! When I first got it, I was so focused on my 90 days to return it that I haven't thought beyond that. It's been a good grinder. It's fast, it fits in my pantry, it grinds what I want to grind. I can grind it coarse or fine, depending on what I'm making, and it's really easy to adjust.

One funny thing is that I looked at yard sales for a couple of years, trying to find a wheat grinder somebody was trying to get rid of cheap. About six months after I paid $250 for my Nutrimill, I went jogging by a yard sale, and there was a great wheat grinder for $20! I bought it for my sister.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

i don' tknow what this says about the grinder..but I have a Bosch mixer that was my grandmothers. So it is at LEAST 30 some odd years and still going strong...she was an avid bread baker. The thing is awesome..you can whop up egg whites in like 3 seconds..

"Don't you wanna trade your little tiny dimes for this big shiny penny?" D.W.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I have the WonderMill Electric Grain Mill and love it! I do all my wheat and beans and rice flour with it. I've had it for about 7 years and still going strong.

http://www.kitchenkneads.com/index.p...ing&listing=14

I also have a hand grinder that you attach to your table just in case power is ever out and I still need to grind some wheat from food storage. And I have another small, inexpensive coffee grinder that I use to grind my flax seed (not coffee), since you can't use your large mills to grind oily seeds.

Last edited by dougjenevans; 01-03-2007 at 09:32 AM.