Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Newbie Questions

You guys are so awesome! I am learning so much. I have been trying to find ways to save money and eat healthier and I think this might be a good place to start. My mom always made the homemade real wheat bread and I loved it! But as I am reading your responses I have a few newbie questions: Why would I want to grind beans? What do you do with that? Thanks so much for all of your wonderful advice!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default my nutrimill

I got the Nutrimill and I absolutely LOVE it- I got it for only $98 because I bought in in conjunction with the Universal Bosch Kithen machine---which makes bread in a jif...if you are buying other stuff you can maybe get a good deal out of them.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernen
You guys are so awesome! I am learning so much. I have been trying to find ways to save money and eat healthier and I think this might be a good place to start. My mom always made the homemade real wheat bread and I loved it! But as I am reading your responses I have a few newbie questions: Why would I want to grind beans? What do you do with that? Thanks so much for all of your wonderful advice!
You can grind beans to make instant beans. A lot of people don't like to use beans since they take too long to make because of soaking and cooking. If you grind them, you can add the bean flour to boiling water and have beans in 3 minutes. It adds great protein and nutrition to your diet.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Penny Pincher

You can also use the bean flour to thicken gravies, to add nutrition to things you bake, to make your own creamed soups without all the extra fat and preservaties. There is a free bean class taught every month at the Kitchen Kneads store at about 7600 South and Redwood Road in SLC . It will be taught again in April (I went to it this past Saturday). They have a cookbook in the store that tells lots of other things you can do with bean flour and beans in general. This store also teaches a class on bread and one on food storage, including many grains.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 AM

I've heard you have to use the wheat really soon after you grind it because it loses nutritional value. How soon is soon? the same day, or what?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

I've been told about 3 days, but I don't know if that's science. I just grind it and use it that day! It also lasts a little longer if you keep it in the fridge.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Penny Pincher

I prefer to use my wheat flour the same day it's ground too, but if you want to borrow a grinder from someone and grind more at a time you can freeze it without losing nutritional value. Whole wheat flour contains wheat germ oil which will go rancid if it is stored too long. That's one reason why wheat flour you buy at the store doesn't have as much nutritional value as the flour you grind yourself. Grocery store flour is "all wheat" but not "all of the wheat." Nutrients, including the wheat germ oil, have been removed to increase its shelf life.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Need a new grain mill, help me decide!

Okay...I posted a comment on this thread a while back about my grain mill. Now, it's dead!

I've had a Kitchen Mill and have loved it, but a few days ago it stopped working and blows smoke out of the motor when I turn it on. I called K-tec and they said that the warranty is void since I bought it used on eBay. It is fixable but it would probably be $200 to fix.

I figure it's better to buy a new grain mill instead of fixing this one. (Unless someone knows a place that will fix them for cheaper.)

I read through this thread and see that most of you like the Nutrimill by Bosch. http://www.spoilthecook.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=25

I also see that Bosch has another one called the Ultra Mill Grain Mill (back ordered right now) http://www.spoilthecook.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=52

The ultra mill is cheaper than the nutrimill. Does anyone have that one? What's the difference between the two?

I have liked my Kitchen Mill http://www.everythingkitchens.com/k-tecmill.html and have thought about getting that again since I could use my old pan as an extra piece.

Also, what about the whispermill? http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/whi...lls_grain.html
Is it really that much more quiet? (Yes I've listened online at http://waltonfeed.com/self/grindele.html) If it is more quiet, I would consider getting this one since I have to coordinate my milling with my baby's nap so he's not near the loud high-pitched noise toward the end of milling.

I really loved using my grain mill and now that I can't, I'm going through withdrawls!

Anyway, my birthday is next month and Mother's day is coming soon so I'm trying to convince DH to get me a new grain mill. I of course don't want to spend a lot of money but I now realize that you pay for what you get. Help me decide what to get!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Penny Pincher

I have the Whispermill and have used it for years. My parents have one too and have used it longer than I have. Neither mill has ever needed repair. They are quiet, fast, dependable, and grind everything but soy beans (they have too much oil). Love it, love it. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. One of my favorite things to grind is popcorn. It makes fabulous cornmeal for cornbread.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:18 PM

I got a nutrimill for Christmas and LOVE it. I researched a LOT before we purchased. Its a lot of money to spend. I have never used a whisper mill so I can't compare too well and I don't know which is cheaper but I heard from A LOT of people that the nutrimill is better. I also read online in my research (sorry can't remember where) that one of the reseaons that the nutrimill is the top of the line is because of the technology used to burst the wheat. It holds more of the nutrition and the flour isn't as hot which is also supposed to help the nutritional value. I think if you use it a lot you should definetly go with the top of the line. You deserve it.