Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Default spreadsheet

Is there a spread sheet available on 2 year food storage? One that lists how much of each specific catagory is needed (depending on how many are in the family) and then an area that you fill in as to how much you have and how much more you need to buy in each specific food catagory? Thank you so much for everyone's help!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Penny Pincher

This is good stuff. Thanks LazyBear!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Penny Pincher

Default 72 hour kits

We of course are on a very tight budget and I really wanted to get our 72 hour kits together. About 3 years ago I used the backpacks from previous school years and a couple from DI for only 1.00 each. We then of course just pulled things out of the food storage and out of their bins of clothes( I have rubbermaid containers with clothes out of season and in between sizes). Then for the things we needed we went to the dollar store. We did all 4 kids for under 100.00 and they have more than enough to get them by.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Penny Pincher

Talking

Thanks for all this information!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Yeah this is great.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

It's time to rotate your foodstorage and emergency supplies!

Use It or Lose It!

remember ~
caselot sales start in August and run through October.

emergency supplies are also on sale during this time of year.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Thanks Lazy! At this moment, I have very little prepared. We are still somewhat newlyweds and new parents so it is hard to build up what we have when we don't feel like we have much to begin with!

But I want to start.

My husband and I have been collecting canned items here and there, but I have never put together any kits or anything yet. It always seems so overwhelming when I don't know some of the terms preparedness websites use, and some items like propane tanks-I think they were---if something happened while my husband was at work, who knows how long I would need to be the one taking care of us. I don't know how to use propane tanks or anything you might find in a camping store, so I felt like I would be spending a lot of money on something that I'd probably leave behind out of frustration.

But that first step-by-step link is awesome! I can and will do this right now! I also like the idea of storing items under your bed, I think I will pack some items for my son and put it under ours or his too.

We end up storing a lot of items in our basement, but I often wonder if it is okay to do that. In an earthquake, parts of our house may collapse and getting down there would be nearly impossible or too risky. Maybe I will move all of our stuff to one of our windows so we can get to it that way.