Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 04-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Penny Pincher

Default List of when to purchase food storage

this thread contains:
1. Seasonal Sales Cycles at Grocery and other stores

2. Seasonal Produce Cycles

I know I have seen the list that tells when is the best time to purchase things based on sales. I have searched and searched and can't find it. Does any one have a clue where I can find it? Thanks

Last edited by LazyBear; 02-06-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added thread index
Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Default Seasonal Sales Cycles

Quote:
Deann's post

Background/Disclaimer: Until last summer, I served in a religious capacity as a Food Storage coordinator for my congregation/emergency preparedness/disaster area for 3 years. That said, I have accumulated some great docs/tools that can help other PYP'ers manage/utilize their Usable Food Storage. Each of these docs/tools can easily be personalized for you and your family's needs.

These are general tools, not guarantees. You will need to customize & tailor details to your own unique situations.
The first item is a detailed listing of what & when the Seasonality Sale Cycle of Retail Operations are. This can assist in maximizing planning/stretching food storage dollars. HTH!

Seasonal Sales Cycles

JANUARY - Historically, Quaker has hot deals on cereal/all items. We see Pepsi/Tostitos go on sale mid-January (again, rebates abound for these). Other items of note this time of year are chili, side dishes, anything for hearty/warm meals.
• Post-Holiday Sales
• White Sales
• Sports and Weight Loss Equipment
• Computers
• Winter Apparel and Accessories
ท Organizers, Rubbermaid totes, shelf organizers, planners, filing cabinets

FEBRUARY – many of the same food items as January
• Electronics
• Floor Coverings
• Housewares
• Furniture
• Candy and Chocolates

MARCH - Frozen food month. You'll find many stores are offering free freezers or fill-a-bag deals. Between March and April, look for spring cleaning deals, so many cleaner items will be on sale. With Easter, looks for eggs, ham, Kraft products to cycle into good sales. Paper products like towels, napkins, plates are starting to come on strong. Beverage items.
• Spring Apparel and Accessories
• Winter Sports Equipment
• Gardening Supplies
• Luggage

APRIL –
• Spring Apparel and Accessories
• Coats and Hats
• Paint
• Wallpaper
• Jewish Foods and Eggs

MAY -
get ready for summer! Here come loads of deals on BBQ sauce, frozen veggies, baked beans, and condiments of all kinds, summer-time meats (ribs, hotdogs, and ground beef). Also with all the holidays, look for tons of paper goods that match the holiday and pick them up after clearance. These deals generally continue through September!
• White Sale - Linens and Towels
• Spring Cleaning Supplies
• Auto Maintenance
• Home Maintenance
• Sodas & Bottled Water, Hotdogs, Hamburger Meat, Condiments, Paper & Plastic plates & cups
* Raid/Off bug repellents and sunscreens

JUNE –
• Summer Apparel and Accessories
• Pianos
• Television Sets
• Building Materials and Hardware
• Dairy Products

JULY –
• Air Conditioners
• Summer Sports Equipment
• Sportswear
• Craft Supplies
• Sodas, Hotdogs, Hamburger Meat, Condiments

AUGUST –
• White Sale - Linen and Towels
• BBQ and Patio Equipment
• Back to School Supplies
• Bathing Suits
• Fresh Fish and Vegetables
• Breakfast foods (Cold cereal-Juice-Waffles-etc)
• Cold lunch items for in lunch boxes

SEPTEMBER - back to school; time to fill up on snacks! Pudding cups, Capri suns, fruit snacks, cereal sales start up hard again, peanut butter/jelly. Also, like clockwork, there will be Prego coupons in August, and plan on getting lots and using them in a hurry before they expire in September when the spaghetti sauce goes on sale. Sauce wars between Ragu and Prego this month. Campbell’s soups will go on as well and there will be coupons in the end of August for these as well. Lunchables are on sale this time of year, too.
• Back to School Supplies and Apparel
• Gardening Supplies
• Housewares
• Bicycles
• Canned Goods

OCTOBER - Stock up on holiday foods – Stove Top, turkey, instant mashed potatoes, broth, cranberries, marshmallow, ice cream, pie shells, whipped cream, pudding. Look for great Kraft deals again this time of year. Piggyback those Kraft coupons when you can. Crackers are a biggie - going on for $1 or less a box. Lots of extra deals like $ off cheese WYB crackers. The real kicker is the after Christmas food deals! Save your coupons because pie fixings, fried onion, broth and canned green beans will be on deep discount. I got those onions for .50 a can, normally almost $4. These generally continue through December.
• Cars
• Houses
• Fishing Equipment
• Crystal, Silver, and Glassware
• Candy
ท Baking/candy-making items (choc chips, sprinkles, vanilla, corn syrup, nuts, etc)

NOVEMBER -
• Winter Apparel and Accessories
• Quilts and Blankets
• Heating Devices
• Turkey, Sweet Potatoes
• Canned goods (soup, chicken broth, condensed milk, veggies etc)
• Baking goods

DECEMBER –
• Toys
• Gift Items
• Party ware
• Post-Holiday Sales
• Party Foods, Baking Goods, and Various Meat
• Canned goods (broth, soups, etc)

Year-round after a holiday, you can always pick up cheap cookie dough and any food related to a holiday.

Continual sales are candy, popcorn, chips, anything snacky, cereal (heavier in the fall/winter, but still around in the spring).
Frozen food sales seem to centralize on a brand and the switch brands the next month. I think the manufacturers buy slot time for sales. So last month, Stouffers was on sale hard, now lean cuisine is. Save the entire frozen coupon and then keep checking back for the brand of the month.

Frozen pizzas go on sale in the fall and then again the spring; not often in the summer because people don't want to turn their ovens on in the summer.

By all means, this isn't everything that you can get on sale, but if you follow the cycle and stock up (I never buy BBQ sauce in the winter), then you can get where you have enough on hand and only need to refill when the items are in season. The result is that you spend less and less with each successful cycle.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBear
Deann's post

Background/Disclaimer: Until last summer, I served in a religious capacity as a Food Storage coordinator for my congregation/emergency preparedness/disaster area for 3 years. That said, I have accumulated some great docs/tools that can help other PYP'ers manage/utilize their Usable Food Storage. Each of these docs/tools can easily be personalized for you and your family's needs.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I too am in the same capacity as listed above. (Thanks to PYP) This will be a great help. Thanks so much LazyBear.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 PM

Default Seasonal Shopping for Vegies and Fruits

Seasonal Shopping:
Buying fruits and vegetables in season saves you money and gets you the best flavor.

Spring
asparagus, blackberries, green onions, leeks, lettuces, new potatoes, peas, radishes, rhubarb, spinach, strawberries, watercress

Summer
apricots, blueberries, cherries, eggplant, fresh herbs, green beans, melon, peaches, plums, corn, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini

Fall
apples, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, collards, grapes, kale, pears, pumpkins, winter squash, yams

Winter
beets, cabbage, carrots, citrus fruits, onions, rutabagas, turnips, winter squash
Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default Powdered Milk

Where is the best place to buy powdered milk in bulk? And is there a better brand to buy? I would like the kind that stores for longer.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Lazybear...

Thanks for the Seaonal Sales Cycles!!

This list is fantastic!!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default Thank you Thank you

This is awesome!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Penny Pincher

Default Great info

I just started couponing a few months ago, this info is awesome!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Penny Pincher

Add diapers to the January list, ever since 2003 I have always stiocked up for the whole year in January. Hopefully this summer we will potty train, b/c I did not get enough for the whole year on this Albies sale
Old 02-06-2009, 06:06 PM

bumping for you-know-who