Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 07-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steff.M
It should say on your powdered milk box. On mine, it says to add 1/3 cup dry milk to 1 cup (8 oz.) water. It also says, for richer, whole milk tasting drink, mix equal parts dry milk and water. Check your box, maybe it will have some type of instructions.

Good luck!
The powdered milk I have is in a #10 can so it only had directions for larger quantities. I will try it with the 1/3 c. dry milk to 1 c. water and see how that goes. Thanks Steff!
Old 07-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeOwner
Does anyone know how long powdered milk will last once mixed up in a pitcher?

Thanks
It's always better to use it within 5-7 days.

It won't curdle as fast as fresh milk does, but the flavor and smell may change past the 7 day mark.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Penny Pincher

Ok, I'm trying to get my year supply of milk but I have a few questions. How long does dry milk stay good in #10 cans? I just opened a can that I got in 2002 and mixed some up and then used some powder in a milkshake (thank you Hillbilly Housewife) and it's fine. My kids are drinking the stuff I mixed up.
Has anyone tried the milk alternative stuff? Is it good? I hear it's supposed to last longer. Is it generally cheaper? I bought a case of it from Honeyville yesterday because they said it was better for long term storage but I don't want to store a year supply of it if it's gross.

oh, and I must recommend this recipe for the Magic Milkshake off the HillbillyHousewife site. What better way to rotate your powdered milk

Magic Milk Shakes

*1-1/2 to 2 cups ice water
* 1-1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
* 2/3 cup sugar (WAY too much for me. I used 1/2 c. and even that makes it super sweet...I might even use less)
* 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 to 1-1/2 trays of ice cubes, as much as you can spare
* 2 tablespoons corn oil plus a 5-second squirt of non-stick spray for emulsification purposes (or if you have liquid lecithin, you can use about 1/4-ish tsp of that instead of the non-stick spray)

Place all of the ingredients into the blender, including the oil and the non-stick spray. Use less water for thicker milk shakes and more water for shakes that are easy on your blender motor. The blender should be about 3/4's full. Place the lid on. Process for a full 2 minutes. Pour into cups and serve. Makes 4 - 12oz servings.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default Powdered Milk

I saw this question posted previously but didn't see the answer: What's a good price to pay for powdered milk?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Penny Pincher

Just an update on the milk alternative from Honeyville. I've been using it for a couple weeks and it's just fine. A #10 can of it makes 24 quarts. I usually just mix up a quart or two at a time and use it for cooking, making pudding, pouring some in hot cereal, etc. My kids will drink it straight and I've had some on cereal and don't mind it at all. Shelf life is 5 years unopened. ...you only use 1/2 cup powder to 1 qt (4 c.) water so I'm not sure that you can use the straight powder just like you would if something called for powdered milk. I used it in the Magic Milkshake recipe and it's definitely something that you don't want to use 1 1/2 c. of powder for...ends up being a mighty grainy milkshake. Have used just 1/2 c. in the recipe and it turned out much better. Anyway, Honeyville also has shipping for just under $5 no matter how much you buy. I ordered a bunch of freeze dried fruit (delicious by the way) along with my case of milk alternative and shipping is the same. ....I called the store in SLC just to see if their online prices were more expensive and they are pretty much the same. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less depending on the item. I think when I calculated the price per qt. on the milk alternative it came out to $0.44 per qt. (or something like that) Just some info for those who are interested.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

I don't drink milk - but my kids and DH do. How does the taste compare to fresh milk?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Penny Pincher

I don't know that any powdered stuff can really compare with fresh milk. The milk alternative tastes sweeter than regular milk, which is probably why my kids drink it (but they're only 3 and 2 and will probably drink anything). To me, it also has kind of a malt type taste to it. It's not bad...just different. I don't notice any difference when I put it in things but just drinking it straight I know it's not regular milk. I hope that helps.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherriwj
I don't drink milk - but my kids and DH do. How does the taste compare to fresh milk?
There have been lots of times that I used the milk container we just emptied and made powdered milk in it. The kids didn't even notice a difference! I have played around and know the exact amount of powder that seems to make it perfect for us. When my kids have seen me make the powdered milk, they complain and say it's gross. As long as it's super cold, I don't think it tastes bad.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Master Penny Pincher

My mom gave me a #10 can of Morning Moos. It does not have any instructions on it. I went to the Morning Moos website but I can't find instructions. I've never used powdered milk before. What ratio of water to powder should I use? TIA
Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

General Directions for Use View Here

Morning Moo's
Variable Strengths-Original Strength Moo's Hot Water
Light or Half Strength 1/4 Cup 4 Cups
Regular (full) Strength 1/2 Cup 4 Cups
Double Strength 1 Cup 4 Cups
Triple Strength 1 1/2 Cups 4 Cups

Liquid Morning Moo's (full strength- 1/2 cup powder to 4 cups water) may be used in your favorite recipes in place of milk.
Double strength makes an excellent substitute for light cream.
Triple strength is considered a concentrate and can be used as such.
Diluted to half strength, liquid Morning Moo's tm maybe used to replace water in recipes, producing a more tender & richer tasting product.
Creamer: Add 1 tsp. dry Morning Moo's tm to 8 oz. coffee to tea.
Buttermilk: Mix 4 Tbsp. buttermilk powder with 1 cup liquid Morning Moo's tm.
Dried regular Morning Moo's tm resembles non-instant, non-fat powdered milk in performance and texture and can be used in recipes as a substitute for an equal volume.
Note: Since Morning Moo's tm has a whey base, it has a shortening effect on dough, so you can cut back on the use of shortening.