Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBear
Costco price in Jan 2008
Carnation Dried Milk 9.59/22qt
last time i asked at costco, they said they didn't carry powdered milk anymore - got any other sources? i checked walmart yesterday and their 20quart box is now around $18+

also, for those doubting the taste.....when i worked for smiths food and drug, we did a tour of their dairy plant in tolleson arizona (which is now owned by the kroger company) and they had 50# bags of dry milk siting on a shelf - i asked what it was, and they told me that's how the make their SKIM milk - so for all you naysayers, even the SKIM milk in the grocery store is made from powder (or at least SOME of it is!)
Old 05-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead
also, for those doubting the taste.....when i worked for smiths food and drug, we did a tour of their dairy plant in tolleson arizona (which is now owned by the kroger company) and they had 50# bags of dry milk siting on a shelf - i asked what it was, and they told me that's how the make their SKIM milk - so for all you naysayers, even the SKIM milk in the grocery store is made from powder (or at least SOME of it is!)

seriously?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Penny Pincher

A few years ago I bought a #10 can or small box of many different brands of instand powdered milk. I did a taste test with my family as well as a taste test at a Relief Society meeting. The brand that my family and I liked the best was Country Cream. (It was seriously good stuff when mixed well and served cold.) At the Relief Society meeting, the Country Cream brand was also the most popular with Morning Moo coming in a distant second. The milk from the LDS church dry pack tasted terrible in my opinion ... so the 2 cases I have from there is now used for baking and my new stockpile of Country Cream is used for drinking.

The best price I have found for the Country Cream brand is $9 - $10 a can at the Macey's case lot sales.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

i know the THRIVE stuff i sell has a 25 year shelf life in a can & 5 year in a pouch. once opened it is good for 2 years.
i opened the instant milk tonight and it was good. they say the powdered milk is better for cooking. i am new to powdered & instant milk!!
Q prices are #10 can 19.59 on instant & 15.69 on powdered. I also looked into the LSD canneries & was told they are cheeper.