Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Families, Children, Babies, and more!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Penny Pincher

Default glades plug ins or air wick?

I know this is off topic but I wasn't sure which forum to post in and this is the one I'm familiar with so I thought I'd just ask here. My family is living in an old apartment and we can't seem to get rid of the "old apartment" smell. I've been using a candle and candle warmer but as soon as I turn it off the good smell disappears. Anyone use glades plugins or air wick (or anything like them) and have a favorite???
Old 06-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Master Penny Pincher

The "old apartment smell" is a combination of everything that happened in that apartment before you moved in--old paint, old cabinets, old carpeting and pad, old cooking and pet smells, cigarette smoking, mold and mildew, etc., etc., etc. You have to find the cause of the smell, then find a remedy. All air fresheners do is mask odors temporarily.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I agree w/ Sine.Every air "freshener" out there is just going to mask the odor.Your better off opening as many windows/doors as possible while you look for your odor source. I do love odoban.I use it all the time.The scent realy lingers I've seen eucolyptes and lavender.It's sold in concentrated liquid gallon form for about $10 at Home depot and walmart etc. You can use it to wipe down all your hard surfaces and even as a carpet cleaner and an air freshner spray.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Penny Pincher

I don't mind just masking the smell. I just want something I don't have to worry about turning off when we leave. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, its just not something that we can fix right away so I'm looking for a temporary solution.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Master Penny Pincher

This isn't a plug in, but it's my fave. It seems to last longer than other air fresheners.

http://www.febreze.com/en-US/ProductList.aspx?type=24

Read about , our 2 , our baby and our , at Sunny-Daze
Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Master Penny Pincher

did you find something that works for you?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

I love glade plug ins. They are my favorite thing to mask smells. I am hyper sensitive to smells and seem to smell things that others in my house can't. Even though I scoop out the cat box every day, I can still smell it. The plug ins cover it up so that when we walk through the front door we smell it instead of cat box. It covers up the dirty boy sock smell from my sons room , and the musky smell that we get upstairs when all the windows are closed. We need new carpet, so in general, I hate the smell of our house, lol, but the plug ins really do help.

I like to spray fabreeze on anything fabric as well (carpet, couches, curtains, etc)
Old 07-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

To me, Glade and Air Wick smell like public restrooms. I prefer the Wall Flowers at Bath & Body.

You had me at "Free Shipping!"
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiLynn View Post
To me, Glade and Air Wick smell like public restrooms. I prefer the Wall Flowers at Bath & Body.
Oh, I love those too!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default Re: Airwick Refills

apparently this company is working on a universal refill
http://aromavalue.com/