Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Default Missionary "Hump Day" Ideas?

This Friday, November 14th, is my son's hump day! I can't believe the time has gone by so fast! It seems just yesterday I started a thread on here about being a new missionary mom, now I'm a seasoned old-timer!!!

However, I really need some ideas for something fun to send for hump day! I've obviously procrastinated and need to get something in the mail fast! (I think there is no mail service tomorrow because of Veterans Day [is that correct? does anyone know for sure?], so I'll have to mail something Wednesday priority mail and hope it gets there Friday).

Any suggestions or ideas would be great! Or, if you know where I could find a stuffed camel to include in a box, I don't even know where to begin to look.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Look at the zoo gift shop for the camel. And yes the post office should be closed tomorrow, I know the banks are too. As for sending him something, I havent got the best suggestions for you, (My kids are all under 12), but maybe a new tie, a tie tack, gift cards for his shopping days, treats, a new journal. I dont know, sorry. But how fun that he is already 1/2 finished.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Master Penny Pincher

As a missionary, I loved getting new clothes, shoes because I was so tired of wearing the same ones over and over.
Also, one time I sent an elder a whole box of really ugly ties from DI for his district to wear. They thought it was hilarious!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Seagull book used to sell the camel with a scripture reference on it. Not sure if they still do as I got mine about a year ago. Do you have the camel story to go with it? If you need it pm me.

On six month mark I sent a roll of quarters saying you're a quarter of the way there. On hump day it was a roll fifty sent pieces (I think that it was $10)
For my son it was also his birthday so much of the box was b-day gifts and treats.

This is from an email I recieved from another Missionary Mom:
My 16 yr old daughter made a sign that said Happy Hump Day and I took it everywhere with me for a couple weeks. We had family, friends, ward members, our family pets, etc. all have a picture holding the sign. Then I put together a small photo album will all the pictures and cut outs of camels here and there. I also went to the store and bought some of his favorite foods and snacks. I opened each of the packages very carefully and removed half of the contents. My 2 youngest made a bunch of notes that said "You are half-way there!" that we folded up and put in each of the packages and then carefully resealed them. Both of these ideas someone was sweet enough to share. Just for extras, we threw in a new journal, and each of us took a Book of Mormon and wrote our testimonies in it for him to hand out. He said he loved all of it!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Thanks for the ideas.

I will check Seagull for the camel. There is one of those close by.

I also like the idea of a box of ties. Every time I see a picture of him he has a tie on that I've never seen before. They must do lots of trading or buying good will ties.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:54 AM

Default Camel Story

THE CAMEL IS THE SYMBOL OF A SEASONED MISSIONARY
by Cheryle K Carpenter

As you come to the one-year mark of your mission, I am sending you a camel to remind you how far you have come, and where you are going. There are many similar characteristics of a great missionary and a camel.

The first is the "hump". Yes, you have crossed the mark and now are over the hump of the first year. But remember the hump of a camel is used to store food for the long journey. Camels can go for long periods of time without food, but he must store his food in his hump. A missionary has learned from so many experiences, but a wise missionary will store the knowledge he has gained, and put it to greater use the second half of his mission.

Another important symbol, is what the camel does to be prepared to carry his load for his Master. A camel sometimes protests his heavy load, but he drops to knees for his Master, and once started, he patiently carries his load. As a missionary sometimes the load seems heavy and difficult to carry. But when you drop to your knees and succumb to the Master's will, he will carelfully lead you and you can bear the load patiently, and do your Fathers in Heaven's work as he would have you do. This is why the camel's knees are heavily padded. As a missionary, your knees are calloused from the many hours of kneeling in prayer.

The camel has high set eyes that enable him to see long distances. A missionary has his eyes set on higher things, he follows the Spirit. That enables him to see the Children of God, those who are seeking answers, and he teaches them the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The camel has broad, two-toed feet that keep it from sinking in desert sand. A missionary has a broad knowlege and a firm testimony of the Gospel.
This enables him to teach with boldness and stand firm in his testimony.
The people you teach do not yet have the blessing of such a sure-foot, but as you teach with love and the Spirit, you will help them gain their own testimony that will help them walk on firmer ground. One that will lead them back to their Father in Heaven.

So you see, a Missionary has a lot in common with a camel. Put this camel where you can see it often. Dedicate yourself to do as the camel does. Serve your Master well and patiently over the long journey. You have come along way, there is still much ground to cover. Continue to move forward, serving with love, until your mission is complete and your Father in Heaven will say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant"
Old 11-11-2008, 11:35 AM

I need to subscribe to this thread as my son will have his "hump day" in February.

I had never heard of such a thing before today. I'm in need of ideas of Christmas and birthday gift ideas (His b-day is also in December). I know that they are limited on what they can have. Other than ties, what do you give?