Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Pinching Pennies until they Scream! > Less than a Penny

Old 04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Default FREE At Home Preschool Program-Utah

I received a flyer at my public Library-
UPSTART is a Utah state funded, computer-based preschool program that will prepare your 4 yr old for school with a fun start in reading, math, and science in just 15 min. a day.
You may qualify for the use of a free computer and internet service.
1-800-669-4533 or www.UtahUpstart.org
Powerd by Waterford Institute

I in fact called and my child did not qualify because he is not 4 yrs. by March 1st.
Hope this helps anyone out!!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Thanks!

Thanks for posting this. I called, and they said my son qualifies, so they are sending me the stuff. I didn't find any catches. Sounds like an awesome program and it's free. Has anyone done this before? Are there any "catches" to the program?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:38 AM

So are they giving you a computer?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Common Questions

What if I don’t have a computer?

Please contact us if you would like to participate and you do not have a computer (1–800–669–4533). A limited number of participants will be provided a computer on loan during the program.

Source: http://www.utahupstart.org/common_questions.html
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 AM

We already have a computer that meets the qualifications, so from what I understand they are sending an external hard drive with the program on it that we will just plug into our computer to use it. He said we should get it shortly after 4/15.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I'm so happy I helped someone out!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Also, Waterford does a free computer preschool every year. It is almost over this year but will start again in Aug? Sept? My dd has been in it this year and has learned quite a bit. It is not like a regular preschool because they do it all on the computer (your child is basically testing their software). It is in Salt Lake at 900 S just off of West Temple.
Let me know if anyone wants for info.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypoodles
I received a flyer at my public Library-
UPSTART is a Utah state funded, computer-based preschool program that will prepare your 4 yr old for school with a fun start in reading, math, and science in just 15 min. a day.
You may qualify for the use of a free computer and internet service.
1-800-669-4533 or www.UtahUpstart.org
Powerd by Waterford Institute

I in fact called and my child did not qualify because he is not 4 yrs. by March 1st.
Hope this helps anyone out!!
I wonder why they have to be 4 by March 1st. Why can't they go with the school deadline. I'm bummed my 3 year old turns 4 next week and can't do it. I don't need the computer but would love the program. Oh well. Congrats to those that get in.

Update - I'll have to remember this next year. It looks like I could apply my son next year even though he will start school that fall.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Penny Pincher

Exclamation I think you were miss informed about age requirements

Here's the requirements from the site.

"If your child was born between August 31, 2003 and June 1, 2005 he or she is eligible to participate.

Participants must have a computer that meets the minimum program specifications. If you do not have a computer please contact us to see if you qualify for the use of a computer.

Participants agree to use the program at least 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week."

My son just turned 4 a few weeks ago and I was bummed that he wouldn't be able to use it but after checking the website I see that he can. I'm excited to get started
Old 04-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC'sMommy
Here's the requirements from the site.

"If your child was born between August 31, 2003 and June 1, 2005 he or she is eligible to participate.

Participants must have a computer that meets the minimum program specifications. If you do not have a computer please contact us to see if you qualify for the use of a computer.

Participants agree to use the program at least 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week."

My son just turned 4 a few weeks ago and I was bummed that he wouldn't be able to use it but after checking the website I see that he can. I'm excited to get started

Wow - they must have changed it. When I looked before it was March 1, 2004 - March 1, 2005. Maybe they weren't getting many applicants. We now qualify and hopefully can get in!!!