Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Hobbies > Planting, Gardening, Landscaping

Old 04-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Default How much is 10 cubic yards of topsoil?

We had some topsoil delivered today. Supposedly it is 10 cubic yards, but it came in a regular large pick up truck with a tilting bed. The pile only covers half of one side of my driveway and is not that deep. We had topsoil delivered a few years ago which came filled to the top of a huge commercial size dump truck and seemed much bigger for about the same $. Does anyone have any experience with how much dirt 10 cubic yards should be? TIA
Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeyh1
We had some topsoil delivered today. Supposedly it is 10 cubic yards, but it came in a regular large pick up truck with a tilting bed. The pile only covers half of one side of my driveway and is not that deep. We had topsoil delivered a few years ago which came filled to the top of a huge commercial size dump truck and seemed much bigger for about the same $. Does anyone have any experience with how much dirt 10 cubic yards should be? TIA
I have always been told that a regular pickup truck would have at MAX 2 cubic yards, and that's pushing it.

The commercial trucks vary greatly of course, but when we called recently about topsoil, we were quoted 12 cubic yards delivered for $180 - so $15/cubic yard.

You could always measure the length, width and depth of the pile and multiply it out. Would tell you aproximately what you've got.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

We can only fit 1 yd in our small pickup and that is filled to the MAX. I don't think you got 10 yds if it came in a pickup.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawx
I have always been told that a regular pickup truck would have at MAX 2 cubic yards, and that's pushing it.

The commercial trucks vary greatly of course, but when we called recently about topsoil, we were quoted 12 cubic yards delivered for $180 - so $15/cubic yard.

You could always measure the length, width and depth of the pile and multiply it out. Would tell you aproximately what you've got.
I must have read your mind because after I posted this, I went out and measured the pile. It is about 12' by 4'. NOT 10 YARDS! I couldn't tell how much dirt was in the truck until he dumped it and then drove away. It was too late, so I called the co. which is a big construction company, not just a no name ma and pa business. They told me that they accidently under quoted me the price at $165 so I should be happy with what I got. GRRR! I told them that if I had known the price was incorrect for what I thought they were giving me, I would have gone through someone else. I told them that they can either come get their dirt back and give me a refund or bring me some more dirt. The receipt they gave me says $165 for 10 yards. I'm now waiting to find out what they are going to do. Sorry, to rant. Thanks for your support.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

You go, girl! Open a big ol' can of Type-A personality on them!

Quote:
I must have read your mind because after I posted this, I went out and measured the pile. It is about 12' by 4'. NOT 10 YARDS! I couldn't tell how much dirt was in the truck until he dumped it and then drove away. It was too late, so I called the co. which is a big construction company, not just a no name ma and pa business. They told me that they accidently under quoted me the price at $165 so I should be happy with what I got. GRRR! I told them that if I had known the price was incorrect for what I thought they were giving me, I would have gone through someone else. I told them that they can either come get their dirt back and give me a refund or bring me some more dirt. The receipt they gave me says $165 for 10 yards. I'm now waiting to find out what they are going to do. Sorry, to rant. Thanks to all for your support.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

I would call another company and get a quote from them. That will give you an idea on what is going on.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Can you PM me the name of this company? Dh is getting ready to order some dirt soon and I want to make sure he avoids this company ! THANKS
Old 04-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I called 2 other companies before settling on this third one, which gave us comparable quotes for the same amount of dirt. We asked them to come out and measure the dirt they brought us and they refuse. Malamusher, I sent you a PM. I don't know if I can post the name of the company. I wouldn't want to cause trouble for this site but if anyone plans on ordering dirt, send me a PM first so you don't use this place.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

If you paid with a credit or debit card, are you willing to call and dispute the transaction?

Quote:
I called 2 other companies before settling on this third one, which gave us comparable quotes for the same amount of dirt. We asked them to come out and measure the dirt they brought us and they refuse. Malamusher, I sent you a PM. I don't know if I can post the name of the company. I wouldn't want to cause trouble for this site but if anyone plans on ordering dirt, send me a PM first so you don't use this place.
I have a billion typos, and it's because I'm almost always typing while breastfeeding a baby or having a large and unrelenting boy crawl around my lap and poke at the screen asking what the smilies mean. I've given up trying to type well.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Master Penny Pincher

That's not a minor discrepancy! That's a huge difference and you shouldn't be paying that bill until you have the goods. Fight it, even if the money isn't important to you I think it's important to not let places like this get away with dishonesty business practices.

Our one ton truck bed will fit two yards tightly packed.