Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default FREE Dinner/Fire Safety Presentation?

I was just curious to see if any of you had been invited as a couple (you and your DH) to one of the fire safety dinners where you get a free dinner at Magleby's for listening to a fire safety presentation.

They don't sell you anything at the meeting but if you sign up and let a rep come to your home, then they give you fire stickers (reflective stickers for occupied bedrooms) and a bat (to break a window to exit in a fire) then they try to sell you on buying fire alarms (smoke, heat), fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors, radon detectors, etc.

If you sign up, it's a same night install. From the meeting, we were told that smoke detectors have a 55.8% fail rate (it even states it in the manuals). They also noted that the carbon monoxide detectors have been required in all new homes built as of 2007 and that ionization smoke detectors are no longer allowed in Texas in new homes.

Anybody have any thoughts on the product? The company dealing Master guard is out of Saratoga Springs but I can't remember their name....
Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamell98
I was just curious to see if any of you had been invited as a couple (you and your DH) to one of the fire safety dinners where you get a free dinner at Magleby's for listening to a fire safety presentation.

They don't sell you anything at the meeting but if you sign up and let a rep come to your home, then they give you fire stickers (reflective stickers for occupied bedrooms) and a bat (to break a window to exit in a fire) then they try to sell you on buying fire alarms (smoke, heat), fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors, radon detectors, etc.

If you sign up, it's a same night install. From the meeting, we were told that smoke detectors have a 55.8% fail rate (it even states it in the manuals). They also noted that the carbon monoxide detectors have been required in all new homes built as of 2007 and that ionization smoke detectors are no longer allowed in Texas in new homes.

Anybody have any thoughts on the product? The company dealing Master guard is out of Saratoga Springs but I can't remember their name....

Here's another thread about this...
http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/f...ght=ruby+river
Old 06-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

My DH is a firefighter and I talked to him about this thread last night.

He suggested going to be eductated. Mastergaurd is an alarm sales company and they do monitoring.

He also said that there is no reason why their alarms are any better than any other. If you want to buy any alarms or detectors make sure they either have the "UL" or "FM" tag on them because that means that they are fully inspected. As for failure in alarms/detectors... make sure they are installed properly & change your batteries!