Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Families, Children, Babies, and more!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Penny Pincher

Default Ideas Please?! Baptism 2 min. talk on Holy Ghost(LDS nature)

I was asked to give a talk at my neices baptism. There will be two girls being baptized and I want to focus a tlak/ object lesson towards them. Has anyoen seen anything cute done or talked about lately at a baptism?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I saw the cutest thing done. You get a sock (a clean one!). Then you put 5 or 6 items in it that a child would recognize by just feeling them. Examples: marble, small toy car, block, piece of candy, pencil or crayon, etc. You have the child getting baptized come up and stand by you. Tell him there are things inside the sock (or you could use a small fabric bag) and you want him to reach in and feel for an item then guess what it is based on how it feels. He does this and pulls out the items one at a time. When he is done, you explain that this is how the Holy Ghost works. At first you may not recognize it, but just like the toys, the more you see and feel them the easier it is to recognize it by how it feels.

I thought it was so clever and very hands on. The child getting baptized thought it was cool. The lady giving the talk let the child keep the prizes inside the sock. Hope this helps, but I'll sure do this next time I get to give a talk on the Holy Ghost.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Penny Pincher

The one that comes to my mind is the one with what the Holy Ghost does.

It a comforter. (show picture of a blanket)
It's a guide (show a picture of a compess)
It's a protector (show picture of a unbrella.

Good luck I'm sure you'll do great
Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

The Primary Pres. in our ward gave this talk at my son's baptism by using a flashlight. When you are confirmed, you receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost. That gift is like a light that you can keep on all the time, like a flashlight -- a constant companion. We can keep our "batteries" charged and keep the light of the Spirit in our life by attending church, serving in callings, obeying the commandments, and living worthily. She had him come up to demonstrate that the flashlight only works if it has batteries. Just like the Holy Ghost if we do not recognize it, to use it, we will loose the light within our lives. Then she gave him the flashlight, so he would always remember to keep the light with him. He loved it!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 PM

I gave a talk at my cousins baptism on the same topic. (He and his best friend were baptized on the same day so I'll use the term "them" instead of "he")

I bought both of the boys a little gift and then wrapped them very nicely. I told them how happy all of us were and how much we loved them. Each of us there wanted them to remember this special day and some of us had brought gifts to help them remember and feel how special it was and how much we loved and supported them in their wonderful decision.

Next I transitioned into how Heavenly Father was also with them on this special day in their lives. How he loved and supported their decision. He also wanted to give them a special gift to help them remember their special day, the promises they had made, and the feelings they experience. His gift was far better than all of the other gifts the rest of us could ever give them...it was the gift of the Holy Ghost. I then explained the role the Spirit would have in their life from then on.

Last I bore my testimony of how the Holy Ghost had helped me, how it was one of the greatest gifts in my life, and how much Heavenly Father loved them to share His gift of the Spirit with them.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

I found this site awhile back to help me with object lessons in my Laurels class. There are quite a few on here about baptism. I really liked the one titled "Baptism Object Lesson" where they used a hard boiled egg. Here is the address: http://www.mormonshare.com/taxonomy/..._object_lesson
Old 08-19-2009, 10:34 AM

Lucky You!! Actually I have a talk on Friday night at a baptism on the exact subject!! This is for my daughter though. We had already bought her a little quad (scriptures) so I thought I would use it in my talk. She doesn't know we bought it for her. I wanted to put in a bag and have her feel it. Then have her tell me what it is-a book. What kind of book? Scriptures. Just like she felt the scriptures she can feel the Holy Ghost. I was also going to tell her that as she reads the scriptures the Holy Ghost can testify to her that they are true. I have a scripture marked for her to read-Moroni 10:5. Then I was going to share a personal experience with her. Don't know if that helps at all, but there are already so many good ideas people have posted-Good Luck!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Here's another thread with some ideas.

http://pinchingyourpennies.com/forum...ad.php?t=89085
Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Similar thing - when I had to give the same talk I brought a gift bag - that was the gift of the Holy Ghost. It had a teddy bear(friend - but you can take this one to school), a flashlight or compass (guide), blanket (comforter) and some other items in it... and you get the idea. It's an easy way to do it and all the objects hold the child's attention well. Except I think I embarrassed him when I asked him if he had a teddy bear.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Penny Pincher

I wanted to say thank you to all who gave such great ideas. I went with the flashlight analogy and the girls loved it. I brought them up to help me and it went smoothly with a few of my own words and thoughts. Thank you!!!!!