Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default Canning applesauce

So, I got a bunch of apples for free this year and am wanting to try my hand at homemade applesauce. I think the apples I have are mostly Jonathan. I have one of those Victorio Strainers that I am going to use. How do you all go about making it?? Also, is there anything special you do so that it tastes good and your kids will eat it? Tia for any tips.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Steam the apples so that they are soft enough to go through the strainer. I add lemon juice, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Master Penny Pincher

We did not add anything to the applesauce we recently made and it is delicious.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

USU Extension Service has really good info on all home canning, including instructions for preparing the fruit and also processing times. Here is a link to their Fruit Canning Guide.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publi...ub__781951.pdf

As a PP said, be sure to cook the apples down enough...last time I did it, the apples were too firm after cooking, so much was wasted. Lots of work for not much applesauce. We always add some sugar and LOVE to eat it warm! YUMMY!!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I made some delicious unsweetened applesauce this year using both Jonathan and Ginger Gold apples. I like the bit of pink color the peel gives, so I usually quarter and core the apples and put them in a pot with a little bit of water. I cover the pot so they can steam (I usually mix them a time or two to make sure they're all cooking evenly), and then I cook them until they're very mushy. After that, I just run them through my food mill.

This year, I used my pressure cooker for the cooking step, and I found it to work really well. It cooked the apples to such a nice consistency that when I ran them through the mill, there weren't too many peels left (most got ground into the sauce, so probably a bit more fiber!). Even without sugar, the flavors were fantastic. If I get apples that don't have as much flavor, I blend them with other apples and/or add some lemon and sugar.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default You guys are working too hard!

Just made applesauce last weekend and we used an apple peeler/slicer that my mom bought at Bed Bath & Beyond. You can also buy one from Pampered Chef (but don't buy the wooden Pampered Chef stand, it doesn't work as well as clamping it to the counter top).
All you have to do is slip the apple onto the prongs on the machine and crank the handle. The apple is totally ready for you in way less time. Plus this way you don't have to strain the peels out.
Put the apples in a canning juicer, this way you not only steam the apples, but you can also bottle the juice! (We added 1/4 c. sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon to each quart of apple juice, it tastes almost like wassail!) Once the apples are soft, we put 4 heaping cups of apples into our Cuisinart (you could also use a blender), 1 c. sugar, 1/4 c. lemon juice, and 1 tsp. cinnamon and mix it up to your favorite consisitancy. We like ours chunky. It's delicous!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:39 AM

I do very little work for mine. I quarter and core the apples (leaving the skin on usually) and then toss them into the crock-pot. Add a bit of water, not much is necessary, and let them cook all day (or over night). Once the apples are all soft, I use an immersible blender right in the pot and we have applesauce. I don't add anything because I'm making it for my baby, but if we want more flavor, we just add some sugar and cinnamon as we are eating it. I put it in tupperware and stick those in the freezer.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyourworld
Just made applesauce last weekend and we used an apple peeler/slicer that my mom bought at Bed Bath & Beyond. You can also buy one from Pampered Chef (but don't buy the wooden Pampered Chef stand, it doesn't work as well as clamping it to the counter top).
All you have to do is slip the apple onto the prongs on the machine and crank the handle. The apple is totally ready for you in way less time. Plus this way you don't have to strain the peels out.
Put the apples in a canning juicer, this way you not only steam the apples, but you can also bottle the juice! (We added 1/4 c. sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon to each quart of apple juice, it tastes almost like wassail!) Once the apples are soft, we put 4 heaping cups of apples into our Cuisinart (you could also use a blender), 1 c. sugar, 1/4 c. lemon juice, and 1 tsp. cinnamon and mix it up to your favorite consisitancy. We like ours chunky. It's delicous!
If you have a Victorio Strainer (like the OP), it's even easier! You don't have to core or peel the apples. Just quarter them and then boil/steam them. When they are soft, you just put everything through the strainer, which removes the seeds/peels/etc. for you and grinds up the apples. Then you just add whatever you want (sugar, cinnamon, etc.). The Victorio Strainer is great!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Master Penny Pincher/Moderator

We are making applesauce today as well. We have 2 Golden Delicious apple trees and the apples are so sweet we have never added sugar. Taste your applesauce first to see if it even needs sugar. We process all the applesauce plain and then add cinnamon when we serve it. If you have never liked applesauce, try it homemade. So good and so much better than storebought!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Thank you for the ideas... I was given some apples and thought I might just give it a try. Thanks for the tips.