Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Penny Pincher

I liked their bread too! The prices were never stable so it was hard to budget!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by susyq
PS. I buy approx 5 gallons of milk a week. Rounding up, (and for lack of mathmatic skills ), let's say I pay $2 a gallon. That comes out to $10 a week 52 weeks = $520 a year on milk. With Winder, 5 gallons x $5 = $25 a week x 52 weeks = $1,300 a year. The store saves me $780 a year on milk alone!! If you want to add in the $3 delivery charge, that's another $156 a year for a total of $936!! What could you do with $1,000? I could feed my family for 5 months!!! I could take my family to Disneyland for 5 days!!! Our last trip was less than that! I will buy cheap milk and save $1,000 a year thank you very much!
I used to do Winder also, and I also now buy 5-8 gallons of milk a week (3 teenage boys, need I say more?) Their milk is so overpriced I choke just thinking about buying it. The outside of the milk jugs were always FILTHY... it was disgusting. Plus I thought they were hard to pour and my kids kept spilling them...like pouring liquid gold on the counter. And finally, I had the delivery man deliver my milk for the morning several times the night before and a couple of times I went out there and there was NOTHING until late in the morning. My neighbor was doing Winder up until a month or so ago when she quit after the delivery man left her milk out on her porch (not in the cooler, which had been moved but he didn't even look for it) OVERNIGHT in the middle of summer... she went out to get it and it was WARM. Eww...

Never again... I don't care of their milk tastes like the best milk in the world... I'd rather go milkless.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelC
Hey beeroot - since you seem to represent Winder Dairy, can you possibly tell me about the pasteurization and homogenization processes that you use? Temps and such? I've been trying to make mozzarella and the store bought milk is apparently pasteurized at too high of a temp, so I'm curious what the stats are on Winder.
If you look back in this thread and see that you can get raw milk from Johnny's dairy in West Haven. I've been using that to make my cheese and other creamery items. It's in another thread:
http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/f...hnny%27s+dairy

Also I convinced Rosehill to start delivering to my house so you may be able to convince them to go a little further and deliver to yours.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtonathanandtwins
Also I convinced Rosehill to start delivering to my house so you may be able to convince them to go a little further and deliver to yours.

Oh yay! We started this week...
Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetmom
Oh yay! We started this week...
I'm excited. They will only deliver once a week to me and not on Thursday when a few other things are available but hey all my calling finally paid off.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtonathanandtwins
If you look back in this thread and see that you can get raw milk from Johnny's dairy in West Haven. I've been using that to make my cheese and other creamery items. It's in another thread:
http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/f...hnny%27s+dairy

Thank you! I had no idea you could get raw milk there. That is great news!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I had no idea you could get raw milk there. That is great news!
You can't buy it at the actual store you have to go to the farm but it is available.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

We did Winder Dairy for a few weeks back in the mid-90's. Never again.

As a side note, KSL did a story tonight that Winder Dairy Chocolate Milk was named "best chocolate milk in the Intermountain West" for whatever that's worth.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default what works for me

My dh loves Winder dairy milk, but the cost was too much for me. We found that costco milk was just as good to us.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Hey beeroot - since you seem to represent Winder Dairy, can you possibly tell me about the pasteurization and homogenization processes that you use? Temps and such? I've been trying to make mozzarella and the store bought milk is apparently pasteurized at too high of a temp, so I'm curious what the stats are on Winder.
Its a cold pasteurazation process.. The millk is only heated for roughly 17 seconds then cooled down immediately. You can taste the difference and quality in the milk. Having worked for Albies for close to a quarter of a century you would be shocked at what ALL GROCERY CHAINS not just Albies do to their products and what they hide from their customers.. Made me sick!!