Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Professional Penny Pincher/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBear
I totally agree!
It's also much easier on little kids and working parents that need to be in bed around 8pm.

Plus, this event happens on a Friday or Saturday and not a school night.

Trunk-or-Treat is not solely for people of the Mormon faith.

http://www.iutah.tv/event/view/154666
I agree so much with this statement. It seems that the article is a little one sided slamming on the LDS faith. I noticed it did not mention the Lutheran church, and the local preschool or the elementary school down the street that does Trunk or Treats. If you want to dis on Trunk or Treat as an activity than I can debate that too, but I just do not like the fact that it is blaming one religion for an activity that is sponsered by different people. Now I know in some neighbourhoods, maybe the LDS faith is the only one doing the trunk or treat, but for a journalist to have such a narrow site of this is truly sad.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten
I agree so much with this statement. It seems that the article is a little one sided slamming on the LDS faith. I noticed it did not mention the Lutheran church, and the local preschool or the elementary school down the street that does Trunk or Treats. If you want to dis on Trunk or Treat as an activity than I can debate that too, but I just do not like the fact that it is blaming one religion for an activity that is sponsered by different people. Now I know in some neighbourhoods, maybe the LDS faith is the only one doing the trunk or treat, but for a journalist to have such a narrow site of this is truly sad.
Just want to note... The article was an opinion piece, not a news story. And it was based solely on the authorís experience in her neighborhood. Thatís why I said I knew it would offend some people, but I thought others would like to hear a different perspective.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicarae1060
As one of the few non-Mormon families in our neighborhood, I thought I would share an opinion on trunk-or-treat. I think it SOUNDS like a nice idea, but guess what....we don't get invited! It might be thought that "oh of course they are invited," but it never feels that way. It feels like my little children are, once again, being left out. I am not saying this to start a debate, but maybe awaken some to the reality of it.
I agree. Our neighborhood does them but unless your a member of the LDS Church you don't know about them. If they are for everyone then everyone should be notified about them via a flyer or signs posted in the neighborhood like ya'll do when you have other activities and notify the members.

Yes, I'm sure other churches and organizations do them as well but a lot of times I actually see them advertise for them.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Professional Penny Pincher/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deweyville
Just want to note... The article was an opinion piece, not a news story. And it was based solely on the authorís experience in her neighborhood. Thatís why I said I knew it would offend some people, but I thought others would like to hear a different perspective.
Even as an opinion piece, I still think it is interesting that she only mentioned one faith as causing the problem. It is a interesting perspective, but it would not carry much weight with me because it comes across to me as a blaming piece of writing more than an opinion of an event done by more than just the LDS church. Sorry I just wanted to add my two cents to the thread that the LDS faith was not the only ones condoning this activity.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Our ward started doing it last year...I'd never been in a ward prior to that that did it....but I had strep throat, so I didn't go. I heard that it was over in less than 30 minutes, which makes me think it was definately a "run fast to every car and get as much candy as you can" kind of thing. Sounds like it will be much the same this year, and I'm going only because I'm in the YW pres. and we were asked to help put it on.

I will say that the youth in our ward do a great job of getting the word out to everyone in the neighborhood about most ward activities (they are usually put in charge of getting flyers out), not just members of the church. We often see non-members show up to ward functions, which has been a first for any ward I've been in. We have a great neighborhood in terms of inclusiveness.

I've got lots of friends who's wards use their trunk or treat as a ward activity, with dinner and other activities. If you've gotta do the trunk or treat thing, I'd much rather see it done like that.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten
Even as an opinion piece, I still think it is interesting that she only mentioned one faith as causing the problem. It is a interesting perspective, but it would not carry much weight with me because it comes across to me as a blaming piece of writing more than an opinion of an event done by more than just the LDS church. Sorry I just wanted to add my two cents to the thread that the LDS faith was not the only ones condoning this activity.
She was talking about her LDS ward and her neighborhood. Iím not sure how she was supposed to work in events from other churches if she hadnít experienced those. Perhaps if we google we can find stories attacking other religions.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Master Penny Pincher

We went to the West Jordan city sponsored trunk or treat a few years ago. I thought it was awful. We handed out our candy and nobody had any candy left for my kids. We had to park far away, and then walk around the entire park loop. It was extremely crowded. The kids were greedy. When we left my kids said "That wasn't fun at all".
Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deweyville
She was talking about her LDS ward and her neighborhood. Iím not sure how she was supposed to work in events from other churches if she hadnít experienced those. Perhaps if we google we can find stories attacking other religions.
ROTFLOL. Dewey you are hilarious.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

This is great timing... ours is in 2 hours.

I have a story to share.

Last year I started couponing and I got a killer deal on gum and those toothbrush toothpaste combos so I gave them out for my treat. I had PARENTS sending their children to my car multiple times (read 6+) for more gum. Are you joking me? And when it was ending I had a parent come up and ask me if I was a dental hygienist and if that was the reason I was passing out the toothpaste. Um....no I am a couponer. She asked me if I was going to be responsible for the Dr bill when her child ate the tube of CHILDREN'S toothpaste. I was dumbfounded and she walked away before I could even say a word. Really, what in the HECK is wrong with some parents. And to top it off I am pretty darn sure that I have NEVER heard one child say thank you.

Tonights goal... to hear the words "THANK YOU".
Update will follow.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicarae1060
As one of the few non-Mormon families in our neighborhood, I thought I would share an opinion on trunk-or-treat. I think it SOUNDS like a nice idea, but guess what....we don't get invited! It might be thought that "oh of course they are invited," but it never feels that way. It feels like my little children are, once again, being left out. I am not saying this to start a debate, but maybe awaken some to the reality of it.

This year I think it is almost too cold to take little kids trick or treating, but don't know what other options we have in a small town.
I am sorry that you don't feel invited, but I think you should be the one to step out and ask when it's going to take place. The person in charge cannot remember everybody and maybe doesn't even know you, so ask a neighbor