Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Penny for your Thoughts

Old 12-27-2009, 02:30 AM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Default Win a $10 Target Gift Card--How to use Christmas stuff in non-Christmas ways?

Edited to re-add: This thread has been re-opened due to multiple requests. BUT the contest ended last night, so only submissions #2-#40 will be considered for judging. Thank you for all the great submissions. I will have the winner announced by Wednesday morning.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am looking for some fun ideas. Do you have unique techniques or ideas on how to use leftover Christmas items to make them see non-Christmas? decorations? wrapping paper? ANY other thing?

I want to know what your ideas are! To make life more fun and help someone get more bang for their buck during this Holiday clearance season; I will be offering a $10 Target GC to the most creative/fun use of Christmas themed items and it will be featured in an upcoming blog.

So...

What are some of the most creative ways you have used Christmas themed items for non-Christmas uses?

Two of my semi-creative ways are

1~ use 2 Candy Canes, taped together to make a heart (think Valentine's day)

AND

2~buy red & green Hershey kisses. Use red kisses for Valentine themed items & use the green for St. Patrick Day themed items.

What are yours?

*Please note that all ideas must be submitted by 10 PM MST Monday night.

FYI:

Volunteer moderators are eligible to participate.
DeAnn reserves the right to make the final decision.

In exchange for the right to participate, each contestant agrees to release and indemnify PYP from and against any and all claims, demands and/or causes of action of any nature or kind whatsoever, whether presently known or unknown, foreseen or unforeseen, that arise out of the contestant's participation in the contest and, if the contestant is a winner, the receipt and/or use of their prize.

PYP is not responsible for any technical, hardware, software or telephone or other transmission failures of any network, connections or computer, regardless of cause.

Last edited by Deann; 12-29-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: grammar rodeo
Old 12-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Master Penny Pincher

There are a lot of "Christmas" wrapping papers that don't have snowflakes, Santa, etc. on them. I check for those and get some for birthday paper. I picked up one that was a green plaid, another that was blue with different colored circles on it and one more. These have been added to the birthday groups.

Also, check Target for "Chrstmas" clearance. There are so many items that have "Christmas" packaging that are not actually holiday items. Example: flatware.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

I always buy a gingerbread house kit and put it away for valentines day, to make a home for Cupid. (I just found a nice one yesterday at smiths on 4th north for $3.50!)

Around Valentine's day, I get it out and remove all the non-red/white candies (which the kids can eat later), then I use hard candies from the last valentines day 90% off sale, and even crushed candy canes we get for 75% off, for the roof and yard, and we decorate Cupid's house. I add food coloring to the frosting to make it pink, and display it on a large red heart paper doilie. When I am feeling spendy, I'll buy some chocolate hearts to add. It is fun to see what the kids come up with.

Then we talk about the story of cupid and how he helps people feel love.
My kids actually think, that for Valentine's day, cupid lives at our house.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I agree w/ pp about being able to find wrapping papers ,also it's a good time to stock up on bows,tissue paper and gift boxes(many of the boxes come in plain white and lil kids(or creative adults) can draw and decorate their very own unique gift box for gift giving.
I also stock up on the gift sets for the kids to give away as bd gifts,just got a bunch of lipsmackers for $1.50 this am,they are not themed and can be given and used year round or next Christmas .I also like the non perishable food themed gift sets that have the coffees and such,open them up and split them into different gifts throughout the year for neighbors or adult bd or what not.
Also great time to stock up on empty gift baskets to be used throught out the year.
Don't forget the housewares dept. they have lots of tablecloths,napkins,kitchen towels , glassware,dinnerware,throw pillows ,throw blankets, candles etc. that might be red ,green or
gold ,silver "traditional Christmas colors" but not specificaly themed .

I get soo excited this time of year because of all the bargains.lol
Old 12-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Buy candy ( kisses, pb cups, mints, gum etc) whatever kind or kinds you choose. Wrap them in a long piece of clear or colored saran wrap and tie a bow/ribbon between each piece. Use several pieces. Tie the ends together to make a candy necklace for gifts for birthdays or any occasion really. We even did this for young womens one year. Leave ends untied as a long candy rope for boys if you want to. Kids of all ages love these. You can even use nice chocolates (like dove or lindor) for grown ups. These are great for birthdays, graduation, valentines, or any occasion! Very fun and easy to make!

Also I buy chocolates on sale for valentines day or anniversaries too.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:15 PM

You could also buy a wreath and put different colors on it for any other holiday. Make a fun Valentines wreath with red and pink ribbons. Use your imagination even with some Christmas ornaments that don't look too Christmasy. Make an Easter wreath too! the ideas are endless!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Moderator/Premier Penny Pincher

I'll come back and add more but I'm a big fan of reusing things to pinch pennies , so heres a few of my new favs from this year:

Wrapping paper:

large pieces left over from opening boxes can be used for a nifty book cover for your childrens school books. If the Christmas pattern isn't "trendy" enough for them, reverse it so they have a slick white side to draw on and customize themselves.

scraps of all sizes of paper from present-openeing or "cut offs to wrap presents" make great new years confetti strings when put through a paper shredder. Colorful, and fun! I also use this "confetti" to put in packages for padding, and add to easter basket bottoms instead of that straw-like flugg you see in stores.

Give children some wrapping paper scraps left over of from opening and have them cut out designs and shapes on a piece of construction paper. Laminate and have personalized placemats! (this can also be done with christmas card images, or both)

Scarps can be cut into party-hat cones for dolls and stuffed animals, or cut into clothes for paper dolls

Christmas Cards:

My favorite idea ever that I found online (okay I had to relook for directions, but this one is pretty close to the original I did) use Christmas cards (new or used... i buy them 75% off just for this purpose!) to ake a holidya basket! Directions: HERE You can buy pretty cards that ARENT christmasy, just colorful and use for birthdays, valentines (hello red cards!), st pats (hello green cards) and especialy easter (hello cards with crosses and bible pictures)

Use Christmas cards for postcards by cutting along the folded edges. Usually when you get a card they write on the inside, leaving the front design in good condition and with a blank backside. You'll save money on Christmas cards, and save money on postage since sending postcards is cheaper than traditional mail.

Cut round and square images from the christmas card and use as gift tags the following year. After the shapes are cut just use a hole punch and some ribbon to attatch to new presents.

Seperate Christmas card fronts by again cutting along the fold, and using them as recipe cards. I bought a cute set of Xmas cards at michaels for 50 cents last year and used them this was for all my holiday cookie recipes.

Use cards with large images (snowflake, santa, reindeer, pinecone, etc) as stencils for children. Just carefully cut out the image and poof- a stencil!

Ribons:

Use them to re-wrap newt years presents

Use festive ribbons for you're children's hair decorations

Have young girls use them to adorn dolls and stuffed animals, larger ribbons were popular in my preschool class as "bandages" when playing Vet

Candles:

old candles from Christmas that have burned out or just have wax remaining, melt the remaining candlewax using a double-boiler. Pour the liquid into a glass container with a new wick. This is one way to reuse holiday candles and even make new ones for friends. You can add decorations to the candles as well such as dried flowers on the inside of the jar or glass pebbles
Old 12-27-2009, 12:40 PM

I am home sick from church so my brain is really thinking. I should be sleeping but this is more fun.

Buy gold and silver wrapping paper for wedding gifts. Wrapping paper can be used for a lot of things. Buy fun colors and modpodge frames, boxes, magnet boards. The list goes on and on. Let the kids help, to keep their little hands busy.

I have seen initial ornaments. Buy these and tie them on birthday packages. or you could make them into jewelery or pins.

There is always a ton of pretty Chrismtas ribbon on sale. Use nice ones as hangers for picture frames or to use in home decor as curtain tie backs, or to decorate curtain rods.

Some great uses for ornaments are: buy some of the more glitzy ornaments or jeweled fruits and make wine glass or goblet stem ornaments. These are great for any occasion, but especally fun for New Years parties. They are super easy. And can be done is a variety of ways.

You can also smash the glass ornaments into pieces and glue or modpodge them onto a lot of different surfaces for a new fun look. A girls mirror frame, a jewelery box, cd cover, wooden frame, lots of possibilities.

Buy clear ornaments and pour paint inside them. Swirl around and let dry for a fun craft project. Use a couple different colors and get a tie dyed effect. There are so may things you can do with the clear ornaments. My dog groomer gave us one with our dogs fur clippings inside as a christmas gift one year. You could do the same with a babies first haircut. Or just put fun ribbons inside. You can also print any image on clear paper (like transparency paper) cut it down to the right size and roll up to fit into the opening and then unroll it with tweezers once it is inside the ornament. Very neat look!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Some Christmas ornaments have beads on them, take them apart and make bracelets. or even earrings. Makes a very cute and inexpensive gift!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:53 PM

I like to buy the cards and wrapping paper, gift tags and ribbon to make unique scrapbook pages. I cut out the pictures on the cards and paper and use them as stickers for the pages.