Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Utah off-topic/fun stuff/help!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Default Homemade Stock

I'm wanting to make homemade stock for my freezer. I make it whenever I have bones to use but I'm wondering if stores will give you bones or offer them inexpensively (pennies on the dollar). Anybody ever done this?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Yes, I've bought them cheaply but it has been quite awhile. Ask the butcher for soup bones, and don't forget to ask how much they cost first. Some meat counters just have them out for sale. I think the days of getting them for free are long gone.
It might also help to be friendly with a butcher first--say hi, ask questions (How do you cook this? What is the best buy this week? etc. until he/she knows you are a regular at that store. Then maybe you'll get them cheaper. Just a thought.
(A couple of weeks ago I asked what cut they use for stew meat, and the butcher told me scraps. That week stew meat was the same price as petite sirloin steaks, so the butcher told me that my stew would be way better using the petite sirloins. He also told me to use the petite sirloins for stir fry, fajitas, chili, etc., so I stocked up.)
Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

I learned in a cooking class that you can save your trimmings in a freezer bag in the freezer and add to it everytime you trim your chicken then throw back in freezer. When you get a good sized bag just simmer with veggies and seasonings like you normally would. I thought I was a good way to use every bit of chicken. This would be really easy if you buy your meat in bulk.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Great idea - can't believe I just threw a bunch of steak bones out. Ugh!!! I know better now
Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I have been making my own homemade stock for a while. I can't believe what I used to throw away...I will probably never buy a can of stock for more than .25 now.

I save all of my sour cream and cottage cheese containers to use for this purpose. It saves me from having to buy extra containers and if one breaks when I am thawing, no biggie, I have more. Plus many recipes call for 8-16 oz of stock anyway so they are perfect and no need to measure.